Formatting SD/CF cards for use on RISC OS 3.1

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
oo00Kman00oo

Re: Formatting SD/CF cards for use on RISC OS 3.1

Post by oo00Kman00oo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:16 am

I tried running every single application from my hard drive on my Pi and only one program ran, and then crashed :( Pi is definitely not a solution for running programs, at least in my case. Almost everything complained about 32 bit issues, and module errors. I am guessing things would need to be recompiled from their sources. I suspect in the case of all games, they probably try to drop down to modes which my TV cannot handle. I did see a few title screens from older games but they all crashed shortly after. Emulator seems to be the way forward, and of course trying to find a replacement display which is in colour through the analogue RGB connector.

steve3000

Post by steve3000 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:17 am

Well done, what an excellent result to have safely backed up your HDD! =D>
oo00Kman00oo wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:16 am
I tried running every single application from my hard drive on my Pi and only one program ran, and then crashed :( Pi is definitely not a solution for running programs, at least in my case. Almost everything complained about 32 bit issues, and module errors. I am guessing things would need to be recompiled from their sources.
For running old RISC OS 3.1 applications and programmes under RISC OS 5 on the RPi, I've used !ArchiEmu emulator, available here http://www.tellima.nl/riscos/

The ultimate solution to run old games under RISC OS 5 is of course !ADFFS, which is not actually an emulator but runs the games natively under 32bit RISC OS by applying patches in real time and through use of dynamic recompiling. !ADFFS is available along with many original game disc images from the JASPP forum here: http://forums.jaspp.org.uk

steve3000

Post by steve3000 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:23 am

Also I suspect this thread will be very useful to others who are wanting to backup old HDDs onto SD cards, but it has strayed off topic from the original title "Formatting SD/CF cards for use on RISC OS 3.1" - so I wonder if one of the forum mods could maybe move the backing up HDD topics into a thread of their own with a new title of backing up old HDD to SD card maybe?

aotta

Post by aotta » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:50 pm

I am still trying to format some drive for my A4000, in wich i repaired some tracks damaged by the famous battery leakege.. now i got the drive recognized fine, but no sdcard formatted with raspberry is recognized by the A4000...
Formatting in the A4000 side, the ADFS way seems work and format the drive, but when finished the drive is not formatted.
With wizzo rom loaded on boot, the ics tool i use (from IdeA Utils 3.17) works fine without error, but after 9 and quit, disk still not formatted.
And, i tried several CF Cards (included Sandisk 256 and 512 MB), CF 44ide adapter, a 20gb Maxtor HD, and other SD and CF 40 and 44 adapter.

Above in this thread is mentioned "!HDFormat", is a different tool? where i can find it for a try? thank you all

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:20 am

You probably need the patched ADFS 2.68 I created, otherwise you're going to have compatibility issues with most CF.

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:37 am

aotta wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:50 pm
I am still trying to format some drive for my A4000, in wich i repaired some tracks damaged by the famous battery leakege.. now i got the drive recognized fine, but no sdcard formatted with raspberry is recognized by the A4000...
Formatting in the A4000 side, the ADFS way seems work and format the drive, but when finished the drive is not formatted.
With wizzo rom loaded on boot, the ics tool i use (from IdeA Utils 3.17) works fine without error, but after 9 and quit, disk still not formatted.
And, i tried several CF Cards (included Sandisk 256 and 512 MB), CF 44ide adapter, a 20gb Maxtor HD, and other SD and CF 40 and 44 adapter.

Above in this thread is mentioned "!HDFormat", is a different tool? where i can find it for a try? thank you all
Do you have a real IDE drive to test the interface? It could still be caused by a hardware issue as a result of the battery leak.
Paul

aotta

Post by aotta » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:20 am

Tested with Sirbod's patched 2.68 ADFS, and with a real IDE HD (the Maxtor 20GB, is the "oldest" HD i found at reasonable price.. ;) ), but no difference: formatting finish without error, but HD is still "not understood, may be not formatted?".

It's probably the battery acid is the cause of this, but i checked all connection (and repaired a couple) between IDE pins and others ICs.. the only think i miss is change IC45 and IC46, but if they are faulty, i think i won''t get a good identification of Drive, or am i wrong?
But i am afraid to finish OT, since probably my is an hw failure and not a format matter...

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:46 am

Failing ICs can give all kinds of behaviour, hard to predict. I’ve had a failing buffer chip that would read the drive, but with errors.

From what you described imo the buffer chips are the most likely cause of the HD issues.

If you do decide to replace them, see if you can cut the pins first so that the pads on the PCB are not put under too much stress. Battery acid severely weakens the pads.

Desoldering may need the help of some solder flux, the battery acid affects the solder, it may not flow easily.
Paul

SmellyGeekBoy

Post by SmellyGeekBoy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:49 pm

I followed the instructions (I'm actually using a USB IDE adapter plugged into the IDE CF adapter I use in my Arc) and it all worked first time! 512MB card formatted as 503MB, can copy files to it on the real machine. Happy days!

Now two minor issues to work through -
  • RISC OS is dog slow on the Pi, it takes 30 seconds just for the SD card window to open... Could be something SD card related.
  • I can't get my ideA to recognise both drives at the same time - ie my old IDE drive and new IDE to CF adapter. Tried setting the master/slave jumpers but it will only pick up one at a time. I'd like to copy the data over if at all possible.
Still, minor niggles that I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of with some more experimenting. Thanks once again!
Last edited by SmellyGeekBoy on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, hey, 16K, what does that get you today?

steve3000

Post by steve3000 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:10 pm

SmellyGeekBoy wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:49 pm
I followed the instructions (I'm actually using a USB IDE adapter plugged into the IDE CF adapter I use in my Arc) and it all worked first time! 512MB card formatted as 503MB, can copy files to it on the real machine. Happy days!
Great you've had success :)
SmellyGeekBoy wrote:
Now two minor issues to work through -
  • RISC OS is dog slow on the Pi, it takes 30 seconds just for the SD card window to open... Could be something SD card related.
That doesn't sound right at all, everything under RISC OS on my old model B Pi is lighting fast compared to original Acorn hardware, the window for the SD opens instantly...
SmellyGeekBoy wrote:
  • I can't get my ideA to recognise both drives at the same time - ie my old IDE drive and new IDE to CF adapter. Tried setting the master/slave jumpers but it will only pick up one at a time. I'd like to copy the data over if at all possible.
I find CF and particularly SD adaptors very fussy with master/slave settings, many require master with nothing else attached to the cable... But does your ideA interface have two sockets? If so, you can use a master drive in each socket as the sockets are independent.

SmellyGeekBoy

Post by SmellyGeekBoy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:40 am

steve3000 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:10 pm
That doesn't sound right at all, everything under RISC OS on my old model B Pi is lighting fast compared to original Acorn hardware, the window for the SD opens instantly...
My thoughts exactly. I have a lot of experience with the Pi (running Linux) and was using a high end Samsung SD card I specifically bought for performance, as well as a 2A power supply. I'm running on a Pi 2. It's very strange. I'm going to try some different cards and maybe a different PSU. Or try to find one of my other Pis...
steve3000 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:10 pm
I find CF and particularly SD adaptors very fussy with master/slave settings, many require master with nothing else attached to the cable... But does your ideA interface have two sockets? If so, you can use a master drive in each socket as the sockets are independent.
Sadly not, it just has the one built-in cable. It does have two plugs on it and the manual mentions that it supports master / slave operation, although with a caveat that not all drives are supported in this configuration. To be honest, once I get the Pi running OK I'll just copy the stuff over to the SD card and then back over to the CF. They're not my files anyway (HDD came with the machine) but there is some interesting stuff on there that I'd like to preserve.

Here's what it looks like, I managed to find a manual and the commands work but it looks nothing like the pictures of other ideA interfaces I've seen online! But that's probably a whole other (offtopic) discussion...

I know from old PC experience that some old IDE interfaces are fussy about cable positioning as well so I tried every combination of master / slave on both of the plugs but the Archimedes only ever seems to recognise either the master drive or none at all!

Anyway as I said, there's no real requirement to have both drives hooked up other than to copy the data and I can do that another way, so it's not a priority. 8)
Last edited by SmellyGeekBoy on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

SmellyGeekBoy

Post by SmellyGeekBoy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:34 am

I just wanted to post a follow-up to my performance issues with RISC OS on the Pi just in case it helps anyone else.

Turns out I was experiencing a common issue. Here's one example of a forum post discussing it:
https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/11/topics/3263

It seems RISC OS doesn't like my Microsoft wireless keyboard with built-in touchpad. I switched to a cheapo wired keyboard and mouse and now it's working great!
Last edited by SmellyGeekBoy on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

sgb27

Post by sgb27 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:35 pm

I'm having problems trying to get my IDEFS interface on my old A3010 to recognise anything other than the original 120MB mechanical drive. I've bought both a IDE-SD and IDE-CF adaptor, formatted the cards on my PI as instructed in the first post, but I always instantly get a "Bad drive" error when trying to access it (eg clicking the desktop icon) on the A3010. I get that error even without the SD/CF card inserted, so my suspicion is it's something with the interfaces or the way the IDEFS is set up that's preventing it to access the reader? On the SD reader there's an "Access" LED which never even blinks.

It's a Alsystems IDE interface, branded "Power-tec" on the back.

Any ideas of how I can fault-find this? Could it be something to do with master/slave, there are no jumpers on the adaptor boards or the IDE interface itself. I'm happy to poke around with a scope, but not familiar with the IDE interface.

IanS

Post by IanS » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:46 pm

Have you got a picture of the interface? I didn't think Alsystems did a 8-bit interface. It may be someone elses board with a Power-tec ROM.

Have you get a copy of !Hform on a floppy that you can run on the A3010? It may help in the identification of the drive. Run it and see if it recognises the drive connected.

sgb27

Post by sgb27 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:25 pm

Hopefully these links work to the photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/g7fNaU1AYSoww4C46
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6UurtGvLFZnBuvx57

If I do *HELP IDEFS it tells me it's IDE 3.01 (02 May 1994) (C) Alsystems

Unfortunately I don't seem to have !HForm on a floppy or on the hard drive, although I do vaguely remember there was a special version of !HForm that came on a Power-Tec branded floppy (I don't have that anymore though, I think it was called !IDEForm). If !HForm just does a "IDEFS_DescribeDisc" or similar then I don't think it will work, as if I try that SWI from BASIC it works fine on the mechanical drive, but gives the "Bad drive" error with the SD adaptor.

IanS

Post by IanS » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:38 pm

sgb27 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:25 pm
Hopefully these links work to the photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/g7fNaU1AYSoww4C46
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6UurtGvLFZnBuvx57

If I do *HELP IDEFS it tells me it's IDE 3.01 (02 May 1994) (C) Alsystems

Unfortunately I don't seem to have !HForm on a floppy or on the hard drive, although I do vaguely remember there was a special version of !HForm that came on a Power-Tec branded floppy (I don't have that anymore though, I think it was called !IDEForm). If !HForm just does a "IDEFS_DescribeDisc" or similar then I don't think it will work, as if I try that SWI from BASIC it works fine on the mechanical drive, but gives the "Bad drive" error with the SD adaptor.
Thanks for the pictures, I don't think I've seen that card before.
Yeah, !hform is for the acorn adfs interfaces. Not sure what I was thinking of. You would need a branded formatting tool (like !IDEform)

aotta

Post by aotta » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:44 pm

Maybe a stupid idea but.. What about softloading zidefs and his patched !hform version? May be it compatible with sgb27's card?

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:57 am

Don't think zidefs will play with that one - very different hardware by the looks of things...

sgb27

Post by sgb27 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:38 am

If anyone could point me a link to a specific IDE-SD/CF adaptor and exact SD/CF card that they know works, then I'll buy those at least to know for sure it's something dodgy with my IDE interface. I've tried 3 different cables (including a brand new one) so I'm fairly sure it's not that.

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:34 am

We can't I'm afraid as no one has the same IDE interface. Pretty much anything should work with IDEFS (ADFS is a different matter), but you will need the formatting program that goes with the card. Alternatively, you can try formatting the SD card in a raspberry pi with RISCOS, format it to 500mb ADFS without long filenames etc, and IDEFS should still be able to deal with it?

sgb27

Post by sgb27 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:54 am

Yes I've tried formatting the card in the Pi as per the first post instructions, and it works in the Pi fine. But the fact I'm not even getting a "Disc error" or "Unformatted" type error, but instead a "Bad drive" error makes me think that IDEFS is not even attempting to look at the card for whatever reason. I very much doubt that even if I had the correct !IDEForm utility it would work, as the SWI to IDEFS just returns "Bad drive".

When I get a bit more time I may have to look into the IDEFS module to see what causes it to throw this error message. That might shed some light on why it's not working.

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:45 am

sgb27 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:35 pm

It's a Alsystems IDE interface, branded "Power-tec" on the back.
According to Chris’ Acorns http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... tml#Partis - Alsystems sold Partis products under the Power-Tec brand - Partis is still in business, and it looks as though their PowerIDE software is what you need to get your IDE interface up and running - see here:
http://www.partis.org/shop/main.php?sub ... ml150e67m6

You could contact Partis via their website to check....

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:08 pm

PowerIDE uses the native IDE interface in the A3020 etc, I don't think it'd work with this :/

d.

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:38 pm

danielj wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:08 pm
PowerIDE uses the native IDE interface in the A3020 etc, I don't think it'd work with this :/

d.
The feature list for PowerIDE says:
“Supports Compact Flash devices with a suitable 3rd party adapter”
I think it will be worth checking with Partis before writing off PowerIDE; even if it transpires that PowerIDE isn’t suitable, Partis may be able to provide the old software for the Alsystems card.....

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:00 pm

That means using a cf/ide adaptor on the internal ide port. I've used it with my a3020. If you read the requirements: "Requires a computer with an ADFS IDE sub-system" - this is an idefs subsystem.

However yes, he may have some knowledge of the adapter itself so yes, it would be definitely be worth having a chat with him.

sgb27

Post by sgb27 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:45 pm

OK good new and bad news.

Good news I found my copy of !IDEForm on my windows machine, luckily I had backed up a load of floppies a long time ago and it was in one of the disc images.

Bad news, my serial link only seems to work one way (PC->A3010), I'm sure it worked in the past. So I can't get !IDEForm onto the A3010 at the moment.

But some good news, I looked at !IDEForm and one of the first things it does is call SWI "IDEFS_IdentDrive" to get the physical shape of the drive. So I ran that and it gave me back 63 sectors, 16 heads and 16383 cylinders, which is something. The number of cylinders though is not the value I formatted it to in the PI. Just to check, I rebooted without the SD card in, and it gave me back 63 sectors, 16 heads and 0 cylinders. Without the SD adapter connected I don't even get a drive icon on the iconbar, so it seems all hope is not lost.

Next job try and sort out why the serial link isn't working properly...

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:11 pm

Put it on a PC formatted floppy (zipped) along with sparkplug then unzip to ram drive :)

Line driver gone pop on the serial?

sgb27

Post by sgb27 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:25 am

OK, a lot of hassle later I managed to get !IDEForm onto the machine. It correctly identifies the SD card size, allows it to be formatted and initialised (apparently, it gives no errors and the hourglass counts up), but still gives the "Bad drive" error when I try to access it.

Been reading up in the PRM about writing Filecore-based filesystems, so will start to dig into why this error is being generated. The IDEFS module doesn't look too scary... (famous last words)

sgb27

Post by sgb27 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:23 am

OK bit of an update, haven't had too much time.

The IDEFS module generates the "Bad drive" error because the number of sectors per track is too high. My mechanical drive gives 38, yet the pi-formatted SD card gives 216. The module checks against 128 and errors if it's higher. But, the number of heads is also wrong, so it seems like the IDEFS module is not reading the data correctly. In fact the data IDEFS reads in that bit of code doesn't match the actual values.

It seems that filecore calls MiscOp,0 within IDEFS to mount the drive,telling it to read &200 bytes from adress &C00 on the disc. IDEFS then goes and reads this data from the drive, and then gets the sectors and heads number from this block of data (from disc address &DC1 and &DC2). But looking at the data around here comparing between the mechanical drive and SD card, the SD card data looks nothing like it.

My next step is to read the same block of data off the SD card on the pi and compare the data. If it matches, then it seems IDEFS is assuming something wrong by reading those addresses to get the number of sectors and heads. I might try and patch the IDEFS module to just hardcode the correct numbers and see if that works, but I suspect there will be other things it tries to read later that will also be wrong. If they don't match then IDEFS is doing something wrong to read that data, will have to then dig a bit deeper how it is actually reading the data at the low level.

sgb27

Post by sgb27 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:20 am

An update in case anyone ends up here with the same issue or is just interested (or bored).

I have practically reverse engineered the entire IDEFS module, and learnt all about the IDE protocol and how that works (from the Seagate ATA Interface Reference Manual). I have written a simple BASIC assembler program that can send commands to the IDE interface directly via the podule memory addresses to allow me to test things out.

So, with the original mechanical IDE drive connected it all works fine. I can send the "Identify Drive" command and read back the block of data that describes the drive, I can also read sectors and the data is correct.

Now, with the SD<>IDE adaptor connected, the "Identify Drive" command works fine, and as expected returns different numbers for many of the fields. Everything seems to add up, the cylinders/heads/sectors. However the read sector command just returns gibberish (it's not quite gibberish, it seems like a copy of some other part of RAM, which is odd). With the CF<>IDE adaptor it's the same, except the read sector command just returns all zeros.

I'm beginning to think it might be a hardware/timing issue, but then the "Identify Drive" command works fine, so don't get why the "Read sector" command doesn't work.

I'm just stabbing in the dark really, and nothing seems to be working, so have given up! Still, it was a good learning experience.

BTW, if someone has another IDEFS module that does work with CF/SD cards I would be interested if you could send it to me, so I can check if that does anything different to the Alsystems one.