issues softloading riscos 5 on riscpc

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
soviet

issues softloading riscos 5 on riscpc

Post by soviet »

Hi guys, i have been trying to get riscos 5 to run on my riscpc.
The hardware is:
Riscpc strongarm 98megs of ram ide hdd and riscos 4.02 on rom.

First i deleted the old !Boot folder and done a clean 4.02 install there.
Then downloaded the stable "plingsystem" and "IOMD 5.24 stable (softload)"

Merged plingsystem using the obey file and rebooted everything works fine.
Then i installed the softload !boot on the control panel and rebooted.

Got the Y/N option to load riscos 5 rom or boot 4.

If i choose to load the riscos 5 rom i will get a reboot the rom seems to load, but then got this error
"Internal error abort on data transfer at &00012A5C (error number &80000002)".
And the will drop me at the command prompt, if then i type "desktop" the desktop will load and i can see is the rom 5 desktop, if i double click on !boot the control panel will show an error and don't load.

Try a couple of times and got the same issue.
:?:
IanJeffray

Re: issues softloading riscos 5 on riscpc

Post by IanJeffray »

There is no good/useful reason to run RISC OS 5 on a RiscPC. Terrible downgrade.
paintings

Post by paintings »

I agree with Ian. The IOMD version of RISC OS 5 exists primarily for use on emulators, where it puts in a respectable turn of speed. Load it on a real Risc PC and you will be extremely disappointed with its performance.

If you want to persevere with RISC OS 5: Your message suggested you were using the RO4.02 !Boot, which won't work. You need the ROOL HardDisc4 (obtainable from the same page you found PlingSystem). This may get you a bootable RISC OS 5 installation, but as already mentioned you will almost certainly prefer RISC OS 4 on the Risc PC.
soviet

Post by soviet »

Great i was missing the HardDisc4 now works fine, and i see theres all kind of problems using it.
But at least allowed me to confirm that ADFFS works on Riscos 5 and not on riscos 4.

Does riscos 6.1 is any good ?.
Also i read that to use 128mb simms on the riscpc you need riscos 4.2 at least ?
danielj

Post by danielj »

Unless you need things provided by 4 (long filenames etc), I don't see much good reason to go beyond 3.71 (the last Acorn release)?

d.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

soviet wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:35 pm
Does riscos 6.1 is any good ?.
I'm biassed, and I don't run 6 myself, but "yes". Select 3 is my favoured OS level on RiscPC -- RO6 was getting embroiled in 32bit-ness too much (CLib...). 6 is certainly a lot more sane on a RiscPC than 5 is, at any rate.
soviet wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:35 pm
Also i read that to use 128mb simms on the riscpc you need riscos 4.2 at least ?
I'm 99% sure that's not true as Iv'e had a wholly pointless 256MB (2x128MB SIMMs) in my RiscPC for as long as I can remember (certainly 20 years+). I've got RO4 ROMs in there just now and don't feel like pulling them for 3.7 just to test the theory :lol:
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

danielj wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:40 pm
Unless you need things provided by 4 (long filenames etc), I don't see much good reason to go beyond 3.71 (the last Acorn release)?
RO Select's Image filter system is a big reason for me [again, biassed...] - dealing with PNGs and SVGs "natively" is very handy. Configuration is also definitely better on RISC OS 4. And it supports mousewheel natively. And had some prettier UI 3D button features. http://www.riscos.com/articles/review_sel3/index.htm

I believe the POSTbox support was removed for RO4 and above, which would be a downer on anyone needing to use that feature for fixing up kit.

If you want full authenticity for a RiscPC, stick with 3.7 [which you need as a minimum for a StrongARM - and if you don't have a StrongARM then get one! (Just saw one go on eBay for 45 notes - ow!) ]

We'll start some flame wars if we continue with this OS version comparison though.

I'll just leave this here... :wink:
38doesnotexist.png
flibble

Post by flibble »

I raise you 0.2
ro400.png
danielj

Post by danielj »

😂
IanJeffray