a3020 not showing disk drive icon.

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
acollins22

a3020 not showing disk drive icon.

Post by acollins22 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:27 pm

Hi Folks,

I recently brought my A3020 in to have a play having had it sitting unloved for some time. The battery had leaked so I have cleaned the board and fitted a new primary battery (with a diode) and the machine starts up to the desktop.

There is no disk drive icon down on the bottom bar. I have a disk in the drive and I can hear the cover being pulled away and the disk briefly spinning up but the disk light on the keyboard doesn't flash and there is no further disk activity.

Please can someone point me towards a way of narrowing this one down?

Thanks,

Andy.

IanS

Re: a3020 not showing disk drive icon.

Post by IanS » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:29 pm

Have you done a delete power-on to reset the cmos settings?
(press delete, power-on, wait for the desktop to appear, release delete)

Rod C

Post by Rod C » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:43 am

Hi Andy

If you check the ribbon cable connector to the floppy drive it could be that it's misaligned. When I was working on my RiscPC I found that the bottom row of holes in the connector would slip onto the top row of pins very easily without me realizing and presented the same symptoms you describe.

Good luck!
Rod

acollins22

Post by acollins22 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:12 pm

Thank you folks,
Yes, I was holding down the delete key just to get it to start but still no drive icon.

I think you may be onto something with the drive cable. There was an amount of the green gunge around the pins on the PCB. I have cleaned the board thoroughly but it could have got into the connector on the cable. I'll track down a new cable and see how I get on.

Thanks,

Andy.

philpem

Post by philpem » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:34 pm

Cross your fingers - if you're lucky, it'll just be green fuzz on the connector. A bit of white vinegar and a toothbrush should get rid of that. Remember to disconnect the battery first!

If it's not a bad cable or connector, then you'll need to grab a copy of the A3020 schematics and a multimeter, and check that the floppy connector is still connected to the relevant pins on the I/O chip.

The reason you haven't got a floppy icon is because RO3.1 does a little test to see how many drives are connected, and what their drive-select jumpers are set to. If you're missing one of the control lines, that test will fail and you'll have no floppy icons.

Cheers
Phil

kppot

Post by kppot » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:43 pm

So, Andy, have you got anything?

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”