Transfert file from Linux to A4000 (via Serial Port?)

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
Scanny

Transfert file from Linux to A4000 (via Serial Port?)

Post by Scanny » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:13 pm

Hi there,
On one side, I do have a A4000 having IDE driver + Floppy Disk (floppy still in servicing).
On the other side, I do have a laptop but no floppy disk.

The only common interface is the Serial port on ACorn and USB-Serial on the Linux side.
Unfortunately I do not have any software on ACorn and maybe some lines in basic would allow me to receive binary file via serial.

Any suggest on this point?
Or another work around allowing me to send file to my Acorn? (other than Gotek?).
All suggestions are welcome

Cheers,
Dominique

IanS

Re: Transfert file from Linux to A4000 (via Serial Port?)

Post by IanS » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:35 pm

This isn't a complete solution, but should hopefully nudge you in the right direction.
You can set the RISC OS machine to read the keyboard input from the serial port (similar to a bbc) - http://danceswithferrets.org/geekblog/?p=469

You will then need to send across a real serial comms program. I'd suggest looking at this to encode the file - viewtopic.php?p=112787#p112787

!Connector should do the trick, I'll update the post with a link when I find it.

Scanny

Re: Transfert file from Linux to A4000 (via Serial Port?)

Post by Scanny » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:47 am

The solution seems really Great! I will try to apply it with an USB-Serial on the computer side.... the A4000 already have a DB9.
Receiving data from serial instead of keyboard is really a clever idea to transfer data.
I did find a reference to !Connector into the APDL catalog under the disk B370.
I do like the trans.c software emitting Basic code (will try to do the same with Python3 for my Linux machine).

Thanks for the answer.
Dominique

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”