RISC PC as an Econet fileserver - "station is not responding"

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
philpem

RISC PC as an Econet fileserver - "station is not responding"

Post by philpem »

I've installed an AEH60 Econet NIC (the network port version) in a 202MHz StrongARM RISC PC with RISC OS 4.02, Morley SCSI (Powertec ROM), Unipod and a Viewfinder.

In this configuration, the machine is happy to talk to my A4000 or A3000 running Level 4 Fileserver, and I can read and write files normally.

If I run the fileserver on the RISC PC, then I can log into it from either of the client machines (A3000 or A4000) and list directories with *.
If I try to access files (reading is worst) then the machine will spin for a little while and eventually display the error "Station 123 is not responding" (STN 123 is the RISC PC -- the A3000 is Station 254 and the A4000 is Station 10).
This also means that if I open a directory with an application folder inside it, the Filer_Boot / Iconsprites process will cause the same error to appear.

This is with L4FS versions 1.30 and 1.33 (the patch which was on Acorn's FTP site but is now on 4corn). The clients have Netutils installed and it has been seen by the Filer.

I've tried the StrongARM Econet module patch in the Econet Podule thread. It fixes some heap corruption issues which caused the Filer to crash, but has no effect on the fileserver issue.

Are there any secret tricks to getting Level 4 Fileserver Issue 3 (or any other version) running on a RISC PC? Is it even compatible?

I tried the demo of Advanced Level 4 from the archive of Network Solutions' website (www.planet.demon.co.uk). This was just as bad -- until I enabled Trace mode. When I did that, things worked fine until Advanced Level4 apparently crashed.

awServer does the same as Level 4 -- crashes when file data is accessed.

Thanks
Phil.
philpem

Re: RISC PC as an Econet fileserver - "station is not responding"

Post by philpem »

Further update on this -- we have a fix!

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19428&p=276812#p276812

The full description is in the linked thread, but essentially: Acorn fitted 74HCT123 timer chips to these boards instead of 74LS123s. The two chips behave differently to each other, resulting in chaos and mayhem when they're used in Econet servers (and to a lesser extent with Econet clients which write to the network).

Swap the 74HCT123 for a 74LS123 and the card is fixed!

Cheers
Phil.

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”