Swapping Drives on A310 (or A400)

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
aerobaticant

Swapping Drives on A310 (or A400)

Post by aerobaticant » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:50 pm

I have an Arc A310 and have been using it with a Gotek drive running FlashFloppy.

The Gotek has been connected using a Watford Electronics external drive interface that I originally bought to connect a 5.25" drive for transferring files from BBC discs. I have been doing a mix of full disc copies from original Archimedes discs using the Arc itself, and imaging the discs using a Greaseweazle.

I have come across a number of apps that won't run from the hard disk, and some, notably EMR Studio24+, that will only run from ADFS floppy drive 0. This got me thinking about how to swap the drive numbers so the Gotek can be drive 0 and the internal floppy drive 1.

I was reading this thread which looks really interesting, but doesn't provide a solution for the earlier Archimedes machines.

So, as an alternative solution, I have homemade an adapted 'clone' of a Cumana floppy disc buffer with added links to allow SEL0 and SEL1 to be swapped. I have also swapped SEL0 and SEL1 going to the external drive so that it can remain set as drive 0.

A further addition has been the design of a 3D printed podule plate for the 34-way ribbon connector, a BBC style power connector, and a switch to allow the drive swap to be selected without opening the case.

If there's enough interest I can share the designs. The schematics are in OrCAD, PCB layout in EasyPC and 3D model in FreeCAD.
Attachments
2.png
Front of PCB
1.png
Rear of PCB
3.png
Board installed in A310

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”