A3020 revisions and differences

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
SimonSideburns

A3020 revisions and differences

Post by SimonSideburns » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:10 pm

I managed to bring my two A3020s down from the loft yesterday and having taken them both apart, I've removed the battery from both. I've been meaning to do it for some time (and have been procrastinating quite a bit), but now they may be useful at ABUG I've gone ahead and done it.

I just want to make sure I am doing the procedure right, so I've doused the area with vinegar and am waiting for a bit before washing it off.

I do not have pure water to hand. Is the water that is collected in my water butt suitable? I do not have any IPA available for the third step.

Next, I've been inspecting both boards side by side. They appear to be different revisions and there are other notable differences.

Is there a definitive list of this sort of info somewhere? I've had a quick look but so far haven't really found anything of use.

Anyway, one board is marked up as A3020 MAIN PCB 0193,500 and the second is MAIN PCB 0194,500 ISS 1 ED 3270.

On the west side of the board there are two solder points labelled 5V and 0V on one, but on the other there are actual spade connectors there.

Just above the IDE connector on the far east of the board on one is an empty space, but on the other there is a track from pin 1 of the IDE connector that goes around in a spiral to a solder pad.

On the reverse of one board there are two or three modifications. One wire link, and two places where a component or two have been added in. The other board has nothing extra.

One board has an extra component added on the top of the board. The other board doesn't.

One board's transformer is dated 24/94 and the other says 45/92.

These are the things I've noticed so far. There likely will be more.

Any of this information useful to anyone, or is this pretty much standard stuff?
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!

danielj

Re: A3020 revisions and differences

Post by danielj » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:16 pm

Don't leave the vinegar sitting there too long. If you're in a soft water area, tap water should be fine. Water from the water butt... I'm not sure? Depends on what's in it? Probably? If it's clean? :S

You don't need to worry about IPA, just put it somewhere warm to dry.

edit: As to the differences, they could well be contained in the field change orders: http://www.riscos.com/the_archive/acorn/fco/index.htm

d.