Three button, non-scrollwheel, optical mice?

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
pelago

Three button, non-scrollwheel, optical mice?

Post by pelago » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:06 am

I've bought a couple of three button PS/2 ball mice for potential adapted use with Acorns. But are there any three button (I.e. three "normal" buttons on the top, not a mouse wheel) *optical* mice out there? Balls are a pain.
Last edited by pelago on Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danielj

Re: Three button, non-scrollwheel, mice?

Post by danielj » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:10 am

Very, very few - I think CJE had some at one point, but they were quite expensive.

As windows never used three buttons they were largely absent from the majority of mice until scroll wheels came in which roughly coincided with optical mice anyway...

d.

pelago

Post by pelago » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:29 am

Aha, yeah, I see they exist, e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/173167946624 . £60 though

scruss

Post by scruss » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:12 pm

The Lenovo Scrollpoint Mouse (31P7405) has a residual centre button. The scrollpoint pip in the middle is ignorable, especially if your application doesn't know about X and Y scrolling. It's also fairly stiff to actuate, so may not scroll even if accidentally biffed.

They're occasionally available surplus. I think I picked up my most recent one a couple of months ago for the equivalent of four quid.

pelago

Post by pelago » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:27 pm

So I've found a few. The last manufacturer looks most hopeful, with options of wired or wireless, black or grey, without scrollwheel, with side scroll wheel, or with top scroll wheel but separate from much larger middle button. They seem to be listed as "Beatus" on ebay.

Obviously all of these will need adapters to work on Acorns. Do scroll wheels work at all in RISC OS?

Has anyone come across any more? Remember, I'm looking for optical mice with three "proper" buttons on top, not a clickable scroll wheel for a middle button.

philpem

Post by philpem » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:14 pm

pelago wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:27 pm
Obviously all of these will need adapters to work on Acorns. Do scroll wheels work at all in RISC OS?
On a PS/2 mouse mated to a Stuart Tyrrell PS2MouseMini - they do, actually. There's a module on the STD website which enables the scroll function.

It's hit and miss which applications it works with, but it does work to some extent. I have it installed on my RISC PC.