Write-an-Acorn-Floppy-Disc-from-an-image USB project

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
hubersn

Write-an-Acorn-Floppy-Disc-from-an-image USB project

Post by hubersn »

Hi,

I visited a Retro meeting in Germany recently, and ran into a guy working on various Amiga stuff who happend to have created a "simple" interface based on the STM32F4Discovery and some custom software he published on GitHub: https://github.com/Slamy/SlamySTM32Floppy

This software/hardware combination allows to connect a standard 3.5" HD floppy to a PC's USB port and write various floppy disc formats (like Amiga .adf and Amstrad CPC .dsk).

Not sure about the current state of Kryoflux stuff, but I think Jon Abbott recently said that the necessary info to drive the Kryoflux hardware from the Acorn side was still not available. So at least for writing, this project could be interesting as a starting point.

Have fun
hubersn
acorn

Re: Write-an-Acorn-Floppy-Disc-from-an-image USB project

Post by acorn »

I think our very own cowlark has tackled DFS and ADFS: http://cowlark.com/fluxengine/
hubersn

Post by hubersn »

acorn wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:53 pm
I think our very own cowlark has tackled DFS and ADFS: http://cowlark.com/fluxengine/
But only reading them - the point of the project I mentioned is being able to write to real discs.

I had a use case this weekend: an A3010 with 2 MiB RAM in need of some games to play - so ADFFS could not be used. Additional problems: only other RISC OS machine with a working floppy was a RiscStation (where ADFImager was...strange), and with only 2 MiB RAM I failed to use ADFImager on the A3010 itself because the data source was a parallel port ZIP drive which regularly threw read errors (and ADFImager did not retry in any way), and when putting the ADF into the RAM disc (where ADFImager could read from reliably), the image could not be written because ADFImager ran out of memory while doing so. A PC with a real floppy was also not available (where OmniFlop could have been used).

So an USB interface for a standard floppy attachable somewhere to write some floppy discs would have been great.

Have fun
hubersn
acorn

Post by acorn »

hubersn wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:07 am
But only reading them - the point of the project I mentioned is being able to write to real discs.
Although I never used it, it states that:

"What FluxEngine prefers is to read a disk, turn it into a filesystem image, and then synthesise flux from the filesystem image and write that to another disk."

"Not many formats support writing yet. That’s because I need actual, physical hardware to test with in order to verify it works, and I only have a limited selection. (Plus a lot of the write code needs work.) There hasn’t been a lot of demand for this yet; if you have a pressing need to write weird disks, please ask. I haven’t implement write support for PC disks because they’re boring and I’m lazy, and also because they vary so much that figuring out how to specify them is hard."

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”