A3010 with a noisy transformer.

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
Nutter

A3010 with a noisy transformer.

Post by Nutter »

I recently bought an A3010. I've had it powered on a few times with the motherboard out of the case and it was pretty much silent. Now that I have it back in the case (both transformer case screws in) it makes an irritating hum. Is this usual for an A3010?

I have two A3000s and they're both silent in their cases.

All the metalwork is attached and seems fairly tight. Is there something I'm overlooking here?
RobC

Re: A3010 with a noisy transformer.

Post by RobC »

I've had the same problem on an A3010 - does yours have any PCB spacers fitted on the transformer?

I've seen A3010s with and without the spacers fitted and the ones with spacers seemed less noisy.
Nutter

Post by Nutter »

I'm not sure what you mean by "spacers". Mine has the transformer attached to the mainboard by 2 screws from underneath. They screw into 2 diagonally opposite hex pillars - I suppose you could call them spacers. Wonder would it help trying to brace the other 2 corners of the transformer?

Pity it's so noisy as I was hoping to make it my everyday machine, now it has 4MB of RAM.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

A transformer that is fixed to something else can result in the something else acting as a sounding board :(

A better method of fixing can sometimes help, but not always. In some situations, rubber washers or similar can help dampen the vibrations.

Mark

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”