Copying files from PC to IDE DOM - advice needed.

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
Nutter

Copying files from PC to IDE DOM - advice needed.

Post by Nutter » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:33 pm

I've recently bought an IDE card from IanS with an included DOM. Can anyone advise me of the easiest way of copying downloaded files from my Linux PC to the DOM? Is it as easy as mounting the DOM on the PC and copying the files across? What sort of files formats are supported and are there any online resources you could share for downloading good stuff?

danielj

Re: Copying files from PC to IDE DOM - advice needed.

Post by danielj » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:08 am

It's ADFS format... Leave it in the Arc and use pc format floppies to transfer stuff? Remember to leave it zipped then unzip on the arc otherwise you'll use the file type information.

Alternatively it'd be a question of building a disk image in an emulator and dd'ing it onto the dom. Not completely sure how well that'd work with zidefs but I think it probably would. Floppy is definitely easier.

d.

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:37 am

How do you transfer something which is bigger than a disc size with this method? Is there a tool for splitting/recombining files or a multi-part archive format?

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:09 am

cmorley wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:37 am
How do you transfer something which is bigger than a disc size with this method? Is there a tool for splitting/recombining files or a multi-part archive format?
Here’s a utility to do that - http://www.steve-potts.me.uk/software.html#split - this method does work, though it’s a bit of hassle. For transferring large files in these circumstances I’ve usually preferred to use John Kortink’s Zerilink - http://www.zeridajh.org/software/zerilink/index.htm - this does require a custom cable, and two machines with suitable parallel ports; the cables are easy enough to make, or they can be bought from CJE Micros.

Nutter

Post by Nutter » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:14 pm

Sorry this was already answered above.
Last edited by Nutter on Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.