Cleaning Floppy Discs

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
lcww1

Cleaning Floppy Discs

Post by lcww1 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:16 pm

A long time ago, I got hold of a copy of E-Type 2. Unfortunately, I just couldn’t get the game to install from floppy disc; I’d always encounter an unrecoverable disc error at some stage during the install process. The disc itself appeared fine, with no obvious physical defects being visible to the naked eye.

Well, I left the discs to gather more dust. But, I recently noticed an advert for a 3D printed frame to assist with cleaning floppy discs on a popular auction site. I decided to try one of these devices with my dodgy E-Type 2 floppy, though without much hope. I’d never before tried to rescue a floppy disc by cleaning its surface. Lo and behold, after using the frame to clean the disc surface with a lint free cloth and some IPA, I had a working floppy! E-Type 2 successfully installed at the first attempt :D

There’s a blog post and you-tube video here that describes this floppy cleaning frame in detail, and STL files for printing your own frame are available - http://www.makercentral.net/pages/posts ... sks-10.php

This may be old news to some, but I hadn’t come across this floppy cleaning frame until recently, and I thought this device might be of interest to others.

Lardo Boffin

Re: Cleaning Floppy Discs

Post by Lardo Boffin » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:19 am

Intersting. Just need one for 5.25” floppies!

Edit. There is one. Ordered it and will see what it is like when it arrives.
Atom, issue 5
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
USA Model B
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA