Kinetic Flash ROM

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
geraldholdsworth

Kinetic Flash ROM

Post by geraldholdsworth » Wed May 02, 2018 8:12 pm

I've always meant to ask this - on the ROOL website, on the downloads for RiscPC, there has always been a download which includes a flash programmer for the Kinetic card. I have such a card, but how do I know if it has a flash ROM onboard?
And, presumably, by flashing said ROM (if it has one) with 5.24, the computer will then boot up into RISC OS 5 (instead of 4.39 which it has onboard)?
I've often thought of upgrading this to RISC OS 5, but then didn't once I bought myself a RaspberryPi.
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk

Bat

Re: Kinetic Flash ROM

Post by Bat » Wed May 02, 2018 9:05 pm

Hi,
From what I've read the way I understand it is, the base part of the RISC OS version 4 onwards is in ROM and the extras on the HDD.
So from that I would deduce that your machine would have to have flash ROM and you could indeed use the tool to update.
One thing I've also read is that some machines are not compatible with V5...
Cheers,
Gavin :)

Phlamethrower

Post by Phlamethrower » Wed May 02, 2018 9:43 pm

I'm not sure how to tell the difference between flash & non-flash Kinetic cards. But yes, if you were to flash it with RISC OS 5 then that's what it would boot into. Just remember that you will lose the ability to run 26bit-only software, including podule drivers if there aren't 32bit versions of those available. The ROOL wiki has a list of which network podules are supported.

https://www.riscosopen.org/wiki/documen ... 20softload

geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth » Thu May 03, 2018 4:06 pm

Thank you...was just curious about my card.
I've not got much intention of upgrading to RO5 on my RPC, not now I've got a RPi. Although, I have softloaded RO5 onto my Kinetic RPC before now...in fact, I have a CF card reader in place of the hard drive so I can swap between RO4.39 and RO5 easily (well, I say easily...the CF reader is still at the bottom of the machine!!!).
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk

ajw99uk

Post by ajw99uk » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:57 pm

I don't think many Kinetics had flashROM, just early ones before RO 4.03 was available on normal ROMs.
Running RISCOS: A5000, A540, R140, RiscPC, RPi B
Running *nix: SGI Fuel & Indigo2, RPi2, x86, amd64, RiscPC, A540, R140