Add a second floppy to Archs without support (i.e. extra Gotek)

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
IanS

Re: Add a second floppy to Archs without support (i.e. extra Gotek)

Post by IanS » Tue May 22, 2018 9:17 pm

tomc wrote:If the A4000 needs it then yes please!
The A4000 only has a single drive select line wired up, so this PCB would be useful.

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:19 pm

@tomc - I’ve recently made a 2nd floppy cable for an A4000, and it works nicely, the cable exits via the rear mini-podule case slot, connecting to a Gotek drive sitting on top of the case. I’ve sent you a PM with some details.

tomc

Post by tomc » Wed May 23, 2018 10:27 am

@lcww1 got the pm. Thank you for that. I can't pm you back currently. That completed cable looks great if you'd be able to send one of those. The wait time is no problem. If you could let me know how to pay you that would be excellent.
Thanks again.

handyandy69

Post by handyandy69 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:58 pm

Are these cables still available? Is it a case of just replacing the floppy cable in my A3020 with this one to add an external FF Gotek?

Cheers,

Andy.

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:58 am

Hello Andy,
handyandy69 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:58 pm
Are these cables still available? Is it a case of just replacing the floppy cable in my A3020 with this one to add an external FF Gotek?
I still have some second floppy pcbs, so I could make you up a cable.

The cable is easy to use; it’s just a matter of swapping the existing cable for the new one which connects to the internal floppy and provides an external connector for a Gotek or any other compatible floppy drive. Of note, the cable doesn’t provide any power to the external drive, so you’ll either need an external power source, or an arrangement to power the external drive from the internal floppy power supply.

I’m away for the next couple of weeks, so it’ll be a little while before I’ll have a chance to make you a cable. Send PM if you’d like to go ahead.