Risc PC 600 suitable SD-Card interface

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
Square Mezzmer

Risc PC 600 suitable SD-Card interface

Post by Square Mezzmer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi, I know RISC OS can be lacking in which sd cards it uses.

However does anyone know the sd card interface best suited to a Risc PC 600? Back entry is preferred as I've 2 slots in the left-center of the machine (as you look from the back).

Any help here please? Also if you could let me know which SD card brands seem to work well that would be great!

I'm also looking at the possible solution of Ethernet. Not sure whether this unit is "ready to go"?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14631&p=195950#p198279

danielj

Re: Risc PC 600 suitable SD-Card interface

Post by danielj » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:47 pm

Nothing really straight forward. All the SD solutions are IDE, and they don't do master-slave, so you're stuck with the SD as your one hard drive. You'll not be able to read a FAT sd card in a native format...

Add to that the RiscPC's version of ADFS doesn't really get on that well with most SD cards by default (it is patchable, but you will find yourself in a chicken and egg situation), you're better off thinking about using ethernet to get things on there, or using a USB-Floppy solution (e.g. gotek+flashfloppy as I mentioned in other thread).

Square Mezzmer

Re: Risc PC 600 suitable SD-Card interface

Post by Square Mezzmer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:50 pm

RESOLVED then: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14631#p198284

Thanks danielj. Purchased the NIC interface to Ethernet!

I'm presently surviving on formatting floppies. That won't help with everything though.