*FORMAT - Formatting floppy from console

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
Andrewcee

*FORMAT - Formatting floppy from console

Post by Andrewcee » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:30 pm

HI Folks,

Want to copy a few files from PC to Arc. Building a serial adapter to connect an old MS serial mouse to serial port on Arc. Have found the serial driver, want to get it over to the Arc from the PC hence using the console.

Been searching everywhere to find the exact commands for formatting a floppy on an A5000 in either DOS 1.44M or DOS 720K. Acn anyone help please?

I've dialed up the help - *H. Format, which talks of setting OS/Q or OS/M - but how to enter the command? Eg. *Format :0 OS/Q returns 'bad format'. Ditto *Format :0 Q. Doing a *Format :0 works fine.

Thanks,
Andrew

IanS

Re: *FORMAT - Formatting floppy from console

Post by IanS » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:46 pm

Are you missing part of the display on the left hand side. The format should be "DOS/x".
format.PNG

Andrewcee

Re: *FORMAT - Formatting floppy from console

Post by Andrewcee » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:19 pm

Ian,

Brilliant, brilliant - thank you!! Interesting, the USB floppy on teh PC thought the floppy okay, the Arc is finding faults during format.

I'll look out for a proper Quadrature mouse, by the way, or go for a PS/2 adapter as I've a couple of spares with scroll wheels.

Yes, I am missing 'half a star' from the LHS of the screen. That was to be my next port of call once I've the mouse up and running. Is it a known issue then? Is there an easy fix?

Andrew