Acorn Ethernet 3 podule EPROM and RISCiX

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
SteveBagley

Acorn Ethernet 3 podule EPROM and RISCiX

Post by SteveBagley » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:11 pm

Does anyone know what type of EPROM was used in the Acorn/Atomwide Ethernet III podule?

I have one I’m trying to get working under RISCiX (on a heavily expanded A305 no less! :-)) but unfortunately the on-board EPROM is from 1998 and so crashes RISC OS 2 at boot when the modules (MBufManager I think) try to initialise. RISCiX doesn’t recognise it either — which I suspect is again because the ROM is too new.

I want to burn an earlier version of the ROM to see if that works any better but I’m not sure which EPROM the card uses — anyone any idea?

Steve

IanS

Re: Acorn Ethernet 3 podule EPROM and RISCiX

Post by IanS » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:57 pm

It varies, I have boards with 27c020 and 27c1001, it will depend on the link settings.

LK2 - pin 1
LK3 - pin 31
LK4 - pin 30

pin 3 of each link (2,3,4) goes to +5, the middle pin goes to each pin on the rom as listed above. and pin 1 comes from the page latch U14, pins 12, 9 and 15 respectively.

crj

Post by crj » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:47 pm

I don't believe RISCiX worked (at least, not without some tweaks by Brian Brunswick that I'm not sure ever saw the light of day) with any Ethernet podules other than EtherH and EtherB. And those didn't need a ROM in for RISCiX to recognise them and work with them.

RobC

Post by RobC » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:23 pm

crj wrote:I don't believe RISCiX worked (at least, not without some tweaks by Brian Brunswick that I'm not sure ever saw the light of day) with any Ethernet podules other than EtherH and EtherB. And those didn't need a ROM in for RISCiX to recognise them and work with them.
I have one of these in my R260 and it's definitely recognised by RISCiX:
http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... ernet.html

I can image the ROM if it would help but I've not tested it under RO2.

flibble

Post by flibble » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:52 pm

crj wrote:I don't believe RISCiX worked (at least, not without some tweaks by Brian Brunswick that I'm not sure ever saw the light of day) with any Ethernet podules other than EtherH and EtherB. And those didn't need a ROM in for RISCiX to recognise them and work with them.
I think you mean Ether1 and Ether2, H and B are much later podules that use ROMs.

SteveBagley

Post by SteveBagley » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:56 pm

RobC wrote:I have one of these in my R260 and it's definitely recognised by RISCiX:
http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... ernet.html
That’s good to hear… I think the problem I’m having is the memory crash leaving the podule paving register in a state so that RISCiX just doesn’t recognise that the podule is present (it doesn’t always register in *podules either after the crash).
I can image the ROM if it would help but I've not tested it under RO2.
That’d be great if you could…

Steve

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:10 am

Have you tried unplugging the MBufManager Module, so it's not initialised at power on?

Some of the network modules require an updated CLib, although from memory I don't think MBufManager is one of them...might be wrong though.

RobC

Post by RobC » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:16 pm

Here's the ROM image from my Ethernet III podule. The EPROM was an ST M27C1001.

It's dated from 1992 so I guess there's a good chance it'll work with RO2 as I'm pretty sure I got hold of my first RO3 ROMs in late 92...
Attachments
ether3.zip
(47.37 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

SteveBagley

Post by SteveBagley » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:41 pm

RobC wrote:Here's the ROM image from my Ethernet III podule. The EPROM was an ST M27C1001.

It's dated from 1992 so I guess there's a good chance it'll work with RO2 as I'm pretty sure I got hold of my first RO3 ROMs in late 92...
Many thanks, I’ll give it a whirl and see what happens…

Steve