Open source firmware for Gotek floppy emulator released

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
danielj

Re: Open source firmware for Gotek floppy emulator released

Post by danielj » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:07 pm

That all makes sense now :) The actual HxC emulator firmware hasn't been updated since 2013 afaik (beta seems to be from 2016) - it doesn't do Acorn format files as native, they do have to be converted to HFE. A thread on the support website's your best bet, indeed.

d.

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:08 pm

After a few false starts (usb fat32 issues, grrrr) - success!
0EA53A1B-2E6E-406E-8822-845207BF4FF3.jpeg
FF Gotek on A3010
I used the USB programming method for the Gotek, which was painless.

Quite wonderful to finally get a Gotek running on an Arc! Many thanks to those responsible for the FF project :D

rharper

Post by rharper » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:15 pm

Electron ADF games that will run natively under the recent FlashFloppy update are available from here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14947

Ray :)
Raycomp

rharper

Post by rharper » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:03 pm

I have made a mistake. The ADF files I have come across are 320K the same as ADM files.
How does FlashFloppy treat ADF files?
I find that FlashFloppy 0.9.16a will not use 320K ADF files but after renaming to ADM it does.
Ray :?
Raycomp

danielj

Post by danielj » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:14 pm

In FF.CFG put the line

Code: Select all

host = acorn
and you should be OK?

If it still doesn't work, I'll raise a ticket to fix it - it'll just be down to it not detecting the right size for all varients of adf, it can be fixed quite quickly.

d.

rharper

Post by rharper » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:30 pm

danielj wrote:In FF.CFG put the line

Code: Select all

host = acorn
and you should be OK?

If it still doesn't work, I'll raise a ticket to fix it - it'll just be down to it not detecting the right size for all varients of adf, it can be fixed quite quickly.

d.
All working fine now.
Thanks Daniel.
Ray :D
Raycomp

sydney

Post by sydney » Thu May 10, 2018 3:39 pm

Ordered the parts today, should be up and running in about 8 weeks time once it's all arrived from china.

tricky

Post by tricky » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:55 am

I did notice in the other thread that someone asked about selecting disk images from the beeb, possibly by requesting out of range tracks.
Is there a way to do this from software running on the beeb, or would a connection to, say, the user port currently be required?

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:03 pm

I seemed to have bricked my Gotek. It gave an error in flashing and now seems to not want to do anything, resetting doesnt seem to work either. But it was never as easy as it should have been, via serial wouldnt work at all and usb A to usb A errored. Serial cable is the Adafruit sort and should have been okay, I used it for many other things (and tested the loop back and that is was supply 5v's), but just in case I ordered the one they use in some of the youtube vids. Ordered another gotek as well. Hopefully get to the bottom of which is causing me issues. (Also ordered a full wired USB-A to A incase my cobled together one was at fault. Might try my powered usb3 hub instead of direct in the PC as well. It is always the quick 10 min jobs (and most of that is soldering headers on) that end taking ages.

And I was so excited to use it after watching Daniel's mod video.

danielj

Post by danielj » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:23 pm

You should be able to get it playing under linux - they're nearly impossible to brick AFAIK. People who've thought they've bricked them under windows have got them going again with linux using the dfu-util package or stm32flash.

d.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:50 pm

danielj wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:23 pm
You should be able to get it playing under linux - they're nearly impossible to brick AFAIK. People who've thought they've bricked them under windows have got them going again with linux using the dfu-util package or stm32flash.

d.
I started on Linux, but that wasnt playing ball. Although the boot/reset steps are a bit confusing on Linux (as it refers you to the windows instructions), the instructions on windows were clearer, so did it. under VM. And seemed to work, until it didnt. Once I know the process works I will go back to the other one, i did read the steps about bringing them back to life, but I started to suspect my tools may not be up to the job. I need more than one anyway.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:56 pm

Elminster wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:50 pm
danielj wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:23 pm

d.
I started on Linux, but that wasnt playing ball. Although the boot/reset steps are a bit confusing on Linux (as it refers you to the windows instructions), the instructions on windows were clearer, so did it. under VM. And seemed to work, until it didnt. Once I know the process works I will go back to the other one, i did read the steps about bringing them back to life, but I started to suspect my tools may not be up to the job. I need more than one anyway.
Working now. I changed several things. 1) Used a pre-made USBA-A cable, 2) Used dfu-util on Mac, 3) Used a powered USB3 hub. One more more of those fixed the issue.

Next I shall try using method 1 [Serial] (on my 2nd Gotek). with my new serial programmer, although I suspect the issue is it doesnt like running directly from Mac USB port, hence I think USB3 hub fixed it.

I do have 18 USB devices connected to the Mac. But all the others (except keyboard) are via powered hubs. MMens I have 3 hubs hanging off it now.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:03 pm

Programmed the second Gotek via Serial. After trying 2 different serial programmers, multiple USB cables, multiple OS and multiple power hubs. I found the answer was ... no hub.

So that is just odd.

I could only program Gotek 1. using USB-A if I used a powered hub, and I could only program Gotek 2 using serial if I didnt use a powered hub.

Both programmed now. By both methods.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:56 am

The howto's for sorting out the hardware is very comprehensive, the sorting out the USB stick is a bit vague and barely covered on the flashfloppy wiki. I did download the hxc floppy emulator software but was at a bit of a loss what to do with it.

In the end I just FAT formated a USB stick and stuck rharper's Electorn archive in the root directory .... and it all works ....

Just need to glue in the OLED. Speaker is not very disk sounding, is that usual?

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:16 am

Yeah, they're a bit quiet- you can up the volume in the ff.cfg.

In so far as the USB configuration, there's very little to know - just drop ssd/dsd/adf files onto the usb stick, and ensure the line host = acorn is in the ff.cfg file :) You can arrange by directory or however you like, and use a FAT file sorter on the PC to arrange them :D

d.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:03 pm

Yes USB seemed quite easy in the end, but was very little info, just tried it and it worked.

GOTEK all works, although using Electron SSD's on MAster not so well. Has anyone Gotek'erized (i.e. fixed sized) the BBC Archive? I could do it but i dont wish to reinvent the wheel.

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:01 pm

I have done the sth one before converting to hfe, but I *think* the latest firmware should auto-pad trunkated SSDs/DSDs?

I'm assuming you've spotted:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13718&start=30#p190521

d.

Edit: - Yes, since 0.9.20a

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/releases
Last edited by danielj on Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:21 pm

Ah ha. I hadnt tried copying them without padding! Even simpler then. That is the trouble when you are jumping between 3 or 4 gotek topics trying to work it all out :)

I checked I have one with 0.9.21 and one with 0.9.22 on. Was on my todo list to take both to latest version, just because I havent tried a post program upgrade. But looks like already on the right version anyway. Will give that a go later.

Thanks.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:30 pm

Yes that worked, I just dump various ssd to the flash and they worked without padding.

Another random question, in your (DanielJ) you tube vid above (I flicked through it quickly again today) you used sticky pads to fit the speaker to lid.I just hot glued it to the base, why did you do it that way?

danielj

Post by danielj » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:00 am

I had sticky pads and the lid seemed a better place for it to be louder? I bloody hate hot glue. Sticky pads are a bit less permanent. It was simply an arbitrary decision. Don't read anything into it.
Last edited by danielj on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:51 am

Magic stuff, I might try glue instead spot solder, dry joints might be an issue.

I should probably write some notes so that if I build a third one in a year I don’t have to put any thought into.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:44 pm

Okay another project finsihed off this week. On a roll (hopefully)
Attachments
IMG_3926.jpg

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:54 am

=D>

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:57 am

Anyone using DFS images (everyone!) will want the next FF release when it comes (23). It has a commit to set the skew which fixes DFS (SSD/DSD) disc emulation back to real disc speeds. (Was 50% slower, e.g. 3s vs 2s)

And of course you can lower the step times with FF too *FX255,207,0 or keyboard links.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:34 am

Anyone using DFS images (everyone!) will want the next FF release when it comes (23). It has a commit to set the skew which fixes DFS (SSD/DSD) disc emulation back to real disc speeds. (Was 50% slower, e.g. 3s vs 2s)

And of course you can lower the step times with FF too *FX255,207,0 or keyboard links.
Good to know thanks. At the start I tried to keep up with the firmware versions but they come so frequenly I stopped. But sounds a useful one to put in.
Last edited by Elminster on Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:15 pm

My various GoTek bits are slowly arriving. I've now got the rotary switch and the GoTek itself, just waiting on the OLED display...then I can play.

However, I do have a question (which might have been answered, but I've missed it) - can I use the GoTek as a secondary drive to an actual floppy drive as primary (or even as the primary drive with an actual floppy drive as secondary)? My current setup, on my main Master, has a 5.25" primary drive and a 3.5" secondary drive - I just want to replace the 3.5" drive with the GoTek.

Cheers,

Gerald.
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:22 pm

Not tried it connectinboat the sametime, but there is a jumper on the back. S0 for drive 0, and S1 for drive 1. Although I would assume this would give you drive 0/1 and 2/3 on DFS (or was it 0/2 and 1/3, I forget)

Others probably know more.
Last edited by Elminster on Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:02 pm

Yes, just set the drive select jumper to be drive 1, assuming no twists in the cable. You can use the same cable that connected the 3.5" drive.

d.

geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:14 am

danielj wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:02 pm
Yes, just set the drive select jumper to be drive 1, assuming no twists in the cable. You can use the same cable that connected the 3.5" drive.
Excellent...thank you.
The main cable from the 5.25" drive to the BBC has a connector on to plug in the secondary drive (a small modification I made a few years back). I've got some PC cables without twists which should just plug straight in. Just need to find myself an external 3.5" floppy case now (or a 5.25" case with a 3.5" bracket).
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:01 am

0.9.23a is now released and as Chris mentioned above one of the fixes is:

- SSD, DSD (BBC): Add correct sector skew across tracks

Something to try tonight.