Think I've killed my A310

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
gslug

Think I've killed my A310

Post by gslug » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:18 am

I spent the last weekend collecting the last of my Acorn kit form my parents' house: an A310 and an Electron. There should have been a second A310, but it has vanished at some point in the last decade. The remaining A310 was filthy and had suffered from leaking batteries, so I striped it down and gave it a good clean. Today I put fresh batteries in and was in the process of putting the top cover back on when I noticed a strange smell... One (and only one) of the batteries was too hot to touch. I pulled the battery cable off the PCB and let it cool down before removing it. The batteries were correctly inserted, so something was clearly shorted on the PCB.

I can't test the machine right now as the monitor is living with a friend until I move in a few months. I may remove the board and look for anything that appears to have got hot tomorrow. Just wondered if anyone had experienced similar!

munchausen

Re: Think I've killed my A310

Post by munchausen » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:53 am

If the battery was shorted it will get hot, but I wouldn't expect anything else to be damaged. Unless the reason it was shorted was that something else was damaged... but it does sound like it needs a careful check. Of course one of the electronics gurus on here might know differently (I'm just a hack...)

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:33 pm

Looks like a short in the battery holder if only 1 battery was hot. Check with a meter.
- John

gslug

Post by gslug » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:38 pm

Thanks for the replies. A meter revealed no short between the terminals, but I'm fairly sure I've worked out what it was: One of the rivets was sufficiently proud that it would have been in contact with the battery above. Assuming it penetrated the plastic wrapping this would short the anode of that battery to ground. I cant prove this as the plastic shriveled in the heat, but having replaced the rivet and batteries the problem is gone. Can't wait to get my monitor back and play Zarch Again.

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”