New User Help!

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
A5OOO

New User Help!

Post by A5OOO » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:12 pm

Hi all!! I apologise in advance if these are stupid questions, but I recently acquired an Acorn Archimedes A5000 from my school that had been in a cupboard for a long time. I've never used anything similar nor was alive back then so I've met a few issues.
How can I run software that I've got off the internet on a windows pc for a start? Anything I try run from disc says "no run function specified" or something like that. I have found SparkFS as a forum suggested but i get the same message when trying to run this. The a5000 reads the DOS disks fine but won't run the ADFS images I put on them, is there a disc imager? If you also have any recommendations for games and utilities I look forward to using this computer if i could just run software.
Thanks all!!

Zarchos

Re: New User Help!

Post by Zarchos » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:32 pm

Hello and welcome.

I suggest the following :
1/ Download PackDir and install it as written on your A5000
http://www.zeridajh.org/software/packdir/index.htm
2/ Download stuff from the internet, copy it to your A5000, settype it 'Archive' (make sure the filer has already seen PackDir) then doubleclick on it, and drag'n drop the result on your HD to save the unzipped version of the stuff you had.

If your A5000 has no HD then use the RAMDISK.

If you need more help then please be more specific telling which file you downloaded (and where from).

Hope it helps.
I advise buying a Iomega zip drive (100 Mbyte) (parallel port version for the A5000) and a USB zip drive for your PC ... it'll help for your downloads from the Net. The software for the Archie is somewhere on this board, it shouldn't be too difficult to find using the search engine.

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:39 pm

Hello! :) Very very first thing. Get the battery out of it quick smart if you haven't already! And take a photo of the surrounding area here - it may need a bit of treatment to make sure you don't get long term damage.

A5OOO

Post by A5OOO » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:40 pm

Thanks I'll give that a go tomorrow :)

A5OOO

Post by A5OOO » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:42 pm

danielj wrote:Hello! :) Very very first thing. Get the battery out of it quick smart if you haven't already! And take a photo of the surrounding area here - it may need a bit of treatment to make sure you don't get long term damage.
I already did that, unfortunately before I did I forgot to change the Config from a weird video format so I have to hold down delete every time I turn it on from power off :( is it possible to replace it?

Zarchos

Post by Zarchos » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:02 pm

A5OOO wrote:
danielj wrote:Hello! :) Very very first thing. Get the battery out of it quick smart if you haven't already! And take a photo of the surrounding area here - it may need a bit of treatment to make sure you don't get long term damage.
I already did that, unfortunately before I did I forgot to change the Config from a weird video format so I have to hold down delete every time I turn it on from power off :( is it possible to replace it?
Yes it is.
You'll have to clean the motherboard in the battery area 1st, to remove what's destroying the tracks at the moment :?
Use the search engine with 'battery' 'replacement' etc and you'll get various results, there are many ways to fix your issue.
See this for example :
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8129&p=85716&hilit ... ent#p85716

I remember Steve3000 had given a link to a seller of compatable rechargeable batteries on EBay, but I just can't find the thread at the moment.

A5OOO

Post by A5OOO » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:09 pm

Zarchos wrote:
A5OOO wrote:
Yes it is.
You'll have to clean the motherboard in the battery area 1st, to remove what's destroying the tracks at the moment :?
Use the search engine with 'battery' 'replacement' etc and you'll get various results, there are many ways to fix your issue.
I don't think it's damaged at all upon inspection, not visibly anyway. The school had a box with a few podules to including a laser printer and external floppy drive port which is cool. Also perhaps a silly question but does the beeb emulator read disks? Can I play beeb games by putting disk images on a dos disk? I don't know my bbc basic syntax however so I'll have to look it up, I presume it accesses the internal 3.5 drive as it would a 5.25 drive or something?

Once again thanks for your help!

Zarchos

Post by Zarchos » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:19 pm

I don't do anything 8bit on the Archie so sorry won't be able to help.

Btw I previously forgot to tell you that when you press DELETE the Archie uses the default CMOS values and autodetects your monitor.
The fact you need to press it is because otherwise all the CMOS values would be nonsense, it's got nothing to do with the screen mode your machine was in before you removed the battery.

A5OOO

Post by A5OOO » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:25 pm

Zarchos wrote:I don't do anything 8bit on the Archie so sorry won't be able to help.

Btw I previously forgot to tell you that when you press DELETE the Archie uses the default CMOS values and autodetects your monitor.
The fact you need to press it is because otherwise all the CMOS values would be nonsense, it's got nothing to do with the screen mode your machine was in before you removed the battery.
Alright, that makes sense. I still have to config monitor type and such every time which is too much effort :( And thanks, I'll look around for help. In the meantime I'll enjoy the installed tetris demo :D

Zarchos

Post by Zarchos » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:27 pm

A5OOO wrote:
Zarchos wrote:I don't do anything 8bit on the Archie so sorry won't be able to help.

Alright, that makes sense. I still have to config monitor type and such every time which is too much effort :( And thanks, I'll look around for help. In the meantime I'll enjoy the installed tetris demo :D
By Brothers In Arm or SICK ? Both are great.

A5OOO

Post by A5OOO » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:32 pm

Zarchos wrote:
A5OOO wrote:

Brothers in arms. I was admittedly quite surprised when sound came out of a speaker on the side, didn't expect it to be so loud! Quick trip to the config sorted that. I'm loving this computer and have found an old epson printer which I'm trying to get working with it. Is it also possible to get later OS' on disc? I think I have 3.0 which is a bit old for some software I gather.

Zarchos

Post by Zarchos » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:40 pm

A5OOO wrote:
Zarchos wrote:
A5OOO wrote: Alright, that makes sense. I still have to config monitor type and such every time which is too much effort :( And thanks, I'll look around for help. In the meantime I'll enjoy the installed tetris demo :D
Brothers in arms. I was admittedly quite surprised when sound came out of a speaker on the side, didn't expect it to be so loud! Quick trip to the config sorted that. I'm loving this computer and have found an old epson printer which I'm trying to get working with it. Is it also possible to get later OS' on disc? I think I have 3.0 which is a bit old for some software I gather.
Well the best you can get for all pre RISC PC machines is RISC OS 3.11. (Or 3.19 if you're German) ; and that's ROMs, there's no OS to softload as on the RISC PCs.
Then you can install Uniboot if you consider it's worth it.
Have a look here :
http://www.retro-kit.co.uk/UniBoot
and read what's on this great site by Paul Vernon, who is a *. member (PaulV).

hubersn

Post by hubersn » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:03 pm

Zarchos wrote: I suggest the following :
2/ Download stuff from the internet, copy it to your A5000, settype it 'Archive' (make sure the filer has already seen PackDir) then doubleclick on it, and drag'n drop the result on your HD to save the unzipped version of the stuff you had.
There are only very few archives to download from anywhere in a PackDir compatible format. Especially, "Archive" filetype is usually either ArcFS or Spark or ZIP format, while PackDir uses "PackdDir" IIRC.

So my advice is download SparkPlug from David Pilling, the self-extracting version. http://www.davidpilling.com/free.html

Copy the intact archives (do not extract on the PC!) to a DOS floppy and extract them on the A5000 by dragging them to the SparkPlug icon on the iconbar.

Have fun
hubersn

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:17 pm

A5OOO wrote:Alright, that makes sense. I still have to config monitor type and such every time which is too much effort :( And thanks, I'll look around for help. In the meantime I'll enjoy the installed tetris demo :D
As a temporary solution - until you get a new battery - you can save your config setting commands in a !Boot file on a floppy and make the floppy bootable (using *OPT 4,3 from the supervisor prompt). That way you can start your Arc keeping shift and del pressed and it will use the settings saved. Except the clock, offcourse :D
Paul

A5OOO

Post by A5OOO » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:35 pm

DutchAcorn wrote:
A5OOO wrote:Alright, that makes sense. I still have to config monitor type and such every time which is too much effort :( And thanks, I'll look around for help. In the meantime I'll enjoy the installed tetris demo :D
As a temporary solution - until you get a new battery - you can save your config setting commands in a !Boot file on a floppy and make the floppy bootable (using *OPT 4,3 from the supervisor prompt). That way you can start your Arc keeping shift and del pressed and it will use the settings saved. Except the clock, offcourse :D
Thanks for your suggestion, how exactly in short do i do that? Its an ex school computer and every time I double click !boot it takes me to some school software which doesn't work.

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:51 pm

Do you have an empty floppy disk?

Make a tekst file with your configuration options.
eg:

Code: Select all

*config. drive 4
*config. floppies 2
*config. mode 24
Save it as "!boot" on the floppy disk
Use the command *OPT 4,3 (from the supervisor prompt) to make the disk bootable

It should then boot if you keep shift + del pressed when you switch it on. After the settings are made like this the Arc still needs a reset to have the configuration settings applied.

Hope this makes sense. :?
Paul

A5OOO

Post by A5OOO » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:27 am

hubersn wrote:
Zarchos wrote: I suggest the following :
There are only very few archives to download from anywhere in a PackDir compatible format. Especially, "Archive" filetype is usually either ArcFS or Spark or ZIP format, while PackDir uses "PackdDir" IIRC.

So my advice is download SparkPlug from David Pilling, the self-extracting version. http://www.davidpilling.com/free.html

Copy the intact archives (do not extract on the PC!) to a DOS floppy and extract them on the A5000 by dragging them to the SparkPlug icon on the iconbar.

Have fun
hubersn
Hi there. I downloaded the specified file and transferred it to my IDE drive but when double clicking it I get an error, about a run image not being found. I renamed the run image from runimag to runimage as the error suggested it was looking for. Now double clicking results in the error messages not found. The zip file now has a little lightning symbol over it but that also brings up an error when double clicked.

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:19 pm

Rename it to !RunImage

In needs the exclamation Mark in front (often referred to as Pling... so Pling-RunImage.

Not sure why they call it Pling... anyone??

Paul.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:00 pm

Back in at school, and at college, never heard of "Pling". So don't have a clue. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclamation_mark does talk about it a bit though.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...