A3000 CPU, memory and HDMI / USB upgrade...

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
Paul

A3000 CPU, memory and HDMI / USB upgrade...

Post by Paul » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:00 pm

20160724_192556.jpg
OK, ok, so not actually a CPU upgrade, as such...

Ive had the same luck as Dave Curran from Tynesoft! My recently bought A3000 was actually the best one I had seen when I had removed the cover. Only a vague hint of the battery just starting to leak... with nover corrosion anywhere in sight! With 2mb, RO3 and even a IO podule! So having replaced the battery and a clean up, I added a perfect A3000 to my collection.. :lol:

I was indeed a little bit luckier with a very grubby ex-school A3000 which I got on a buy it now for £25 from ebay. Actually not much battery damage there either, and a vanilla RO2 1mb machine, but it didn't load straight off, so I removed the motherboard (and the battery, cleaned it up and popped it with my A3000 spares..). Then the case came apart for a good clean, and every key came off the keyboard for delicate cleaning. :shock:

I then undertook a non destructive mod of the PSU (5v) to run out to a usb connector to a Raspberry Pi and to power the hub and now I have an A3000+.... :lol:

I used a rather cool keyboard to USB adapter by Dave Curran from Tynesoft here... http://blog.tynemouthsoftware.co.uk/201 ... d.html?m=1

This board works brilliantly with the keyboard, even lighting up the leds Inc power led!

It's currently running Retro pie, but I had borrowed my RISCOS Pi and it works brilliantly.

Going to put a card reader in place of the floppy drive for now and continue to have fun with it. On a seriously useful note, now I don't have to have lots of cablestuff and boxes hanging off the back of the pi. This is a very usable / handy solution! Wish I'd bought more of those A3000s from eBay now! (My wife wouldn't agree though.. [-X )

Don't worry though, I'm keeping it in a way so that it can easily go back to its original vanilla A3000...

Just thought I'd share my weekend endeavours...

Paul.

20160724_192638.jpg
20160724_195907.jpg

Zarchos

Re: A3000 CPU, memory and HDMI / USB upgrade...

Post by Zarchos » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:09 pm

Very nice ... and tempting, indeed [-o<

dgrubb

Post by dgrubb » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:27 pm

Nice. :) Not running RISC OS for authenticity's sake, though?

Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:19 pm

dgrubb wrote:Nice. :) Not running RISC OS for authenticity's sake, though?
Cheers. I would have run it, but my current RISC OS Pi is anot early Model 1 with no mounting holes, whereas my retro pi is a Pi model 2 with mount holes.

Hopefully I'll order my Pi 3 tomorrow and I'll put RISC OS on that.

I did get a go running ArcEm on my Pi 1... looked and felt like the real thing!

Paul.

dgrubb

Post by dgrubb » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:52 am

Paul wrote:
dgrubb wrote:Nice. :) Not running RISC OS for authenticity's sake, though?
Cheers. I would have run it, but my current RISC OS Pi is anot early Model 1 with no mounting holes, whereas my retro pi is a Pi model 2 with mount holes.

Hopefully I'll order my Pi 3 tomorrow and I'll put RISC OS on that.

I did get a go running ArcEm on my Pi 1... looked and felt like the real thing!

Paul.
RISC OS should run just fine on all the 1 and 2 models. I may be behind the times a little but I don't think it's been officially blessed for the 3 yet.

paulv

Post by paulv » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:46 pm

I have all the bits to build one of these. I'm planning on using my original Pi Model B for it for now, I just have to wait until everything can come out of storage. The house extension saga continues :( :( :(

Paul

Paul

Post by Paul » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:40 am

20160728_114837.jpg
And here it is, now running RISC OS on my Raspberry Pi 2 from a 64gb SD card and a CJE Microsoft backup battery and Real Time Clock!

It works quite nicely now. However, I did have fun getting RISC OS onto the 64gb SD card, but my brother helped with that... (Thank you Michael).

Is there a way to configure copying to use more than 640kb at the start? The Pi has much more memory than my old 1MB A3000 :D and although I was able to stop the copying and increase it, it strikes me as a useful configuration option or dynamic system...? I also haven't used an ADFS 640k floppies... ever!

My next step is to build a back cover as a breakout for all connectors... at the moment it puts a lot of strain on the boards inside. And I'll add a good USB internally and externally facing. The current USB 2 hub has turned out to not be very compatible with the Pi. That's why I've got a small 4 socket hub in there along side the powered one.

I'd definitely recommend it (only if the motherboard is severely gone though)... it makes the whole system quite usable!

Paul.

Zarchos

Post by Zarchos » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:25 pm

Paul wrote:20160728_114837.jpg

And here it is, now running RISC OS on my Raspberry Pi 2 from a 64gb SD card and a CJE Microsoft backup battery and Real Time Clock!

It works quite nicely now. However, I did have fun getting RISC OS onto the 64gb SD card, but my brother helped with that... (Thank you Michael).

Is there a way to configure copying to use more than 640kb at the start? The Pi has much more memory than my old 1MB A3000 :D and although I was able to stop the copying and increase it, it strikes me as a useful configuration option or dynamic system...? I also haven't used an ADFS 640k floppies... ever!

My next step is to build a back cover as a breakout for all connectors... at the moment it puts a lot of strain on the boards inside. And I'll add a good USB internally and externally facing. The current USB 2 hub has turned out to not be very compatible with the Pi. That's why I've got a small 4 socket hub in there along side the powered one.

I'd definitely recommend it (only if the motherboard is severely gone though)... it makes the whole system quite usable!

Paul.

CJE Microsoft oh no ! :twisted:

dgrubb

Post by dgrubb » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:58 pm

Paul wrote:The current USB 2 hub has turned out to not be very compatible with the Pi. That's why I've got a small 4 socket hub in there along side the powered one.
The USB on the Pi is very susceptible to power fluctuations and sudden changes in current load. If you can off-load all your peripherals to external powered hubs you'll see much better stability.

Paul

Post by Paul » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:54 pm

Zarchos wrote: CJE Microsoft oh no ! :twisted:
Haha autocorrect on my phone. Fail.

Paul.

Paul

Post by Paul » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:55 pm

dgrubb wrote:The USB on the Pi is very susceptible to power fluctuations and sudden changes in current load. If you can off-load all your peripherals to external powered hubs you'll see much better stability.
Oddly it is the powered hub that seems not to work! Even on its own PSU.. May be faulty I guess.

Oddly, the cheapy "Sweex" 4 port unpowered hub seems to work perfectly...?! Not suitable for the task long term though. It must be powered really.

Paul.

richw

Post by richw » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:52 pm

Since you have bags of space in there, you could fit an Ethernet/WiFi adaptor too. I use a cheap Aldi one on my Pi, and since it presents as an Ethernet router, it 'just work' with RISC OS.

I wonder if some sort of crazy hinged screen could work, making it into a 'luggable'. Hmm...

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:59 am

richw wrote:Since you have bags of space in there, you could fit an Ethernet/WiFi adaptor too. I use a cheap Aldi one on my Pi, and since it presents as an Ethernet router, it 'just work' with RISC OS.

I wonder if some sort of crazy hinged screen could work, making it into a 'luggable'. Hmm...
That's a great idea... I had even bought one too (somewhere).

I've got a very compatible Amazon Basics 10 port hub with 5 slots on the back and a few on the inside, which is ideal. I'll put up some pictures once I've finished.

Cheers,

Paul.

mikecad

Post by mikecad » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:37 am

I love my A3000pi. No actual A3000 was harmed for this, I bought an empty case.

Haven't gotten around to installing RiscOs yet, was waiting for a full support build for the Pi 3.

beebdidi

Post by beebdidi » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:43 pm

Nice work !
Do you have a link to get the A3xxx box ?
cheers