It also reminded me of a conversation I had with Simon at the last ABUG North meeting in November about the relative lack of innovative new boards for the 32bit compared to the 8Bit beebs and the problems inherent bring old Archies back to life.
Since it appears that no more Unipods are being made, and the one's stocked by CJE require you to remortgage the house, I thought it worth positing a new Podule that could address a number of issues, and should work on the majority of 32Bit Archies;
Below are the biggest issues I had getting my A440 and A310 up and running;
- Getting a video display on a modern monitor
- Finding a working, compatible keyboard and more problematically a mouse.
- Getting a HDD/CF/etc in the machine in a working manner.
- Getting data onto the machine (i.e. Uniboot) via the Floppy Drive was horrendous.
Would it be possible to create a Podule that;
- Converts the video output to a frequency that can be displayed on modern monitors (e.g. integrates Paulv's Ultra Vidc enhancer), I saw a podule on ebay in an A5000 that did something similar not so long since.
- Includes an industry standard PS2 interface to drive both Keyboard and Mouse (and is compatible with PS2 KVM's) and has two ports on the back of the podule.
- Includes (or can connect to) a standard IDE interface, but also has a port on the back of the podule for microSD cards, as well as perhaps an internal one.