Gotek with FlashFloppy on Archimedes A310

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
aerobaticant

Gotek with FlashFloppy on Archimedes A310

Post by aerobaticant »

After great success using a Gotek drive with Keir Fraser's FlashFloppy firmware on my BBC Model B's and Master, I thought I'd give it a try on my Archimedes A310.

So using similar settings to the BBC in FF.CFG, and plugged into a Watford Electronics external disk interface it works great as a second floppy drive.

Code: Select all

interface = shugart      # or jc with JC link open
host = acorn
One of the programs I tried (EMR Studio24+) doesn't work unless it thinks it's on drive 0.
So, I thought, can I connect the Gotek/FlashFloppy directly to the Arc motherboard?

Well, it appears that on the A310 Acorn swapped the rows of pins on the SK11 FDISC connector SK9 so that pin 1 is swapped with 2, 3 with 4, etc.
Therefore to work correctly an adaptor is needed. The pin numbers in the A300 service manual look correct but don't match up with real pin numbers on the physical connector.
A300_SK11.png
On the A400 series schematic the whole connector is reversed so Shugart pin 1 becomes A400 pin 34.
This should work if the cable is reversed but I don't have an A400 to try.
A400_SK9.png
Has anyone else noticed this?
IanS

Re: Gotek with FlashFloppy on Archimedes A310

Post by IanS »

It's a 180degree rotation. Stick the connector on the cable the other way around, or use an unpolarised connector.
Attachments
floppy.PNG
aerobaticant

Post by aerobaticant »

I agree that that is what the schematic says, but actually buzzing out my ISS.2 A310, its pinout is:

Image1.png
Image1.png (10.1 KiB) Viewed 752 times

So rotating the connector doesn't work.
Attachments
20200131_094100.png
VintageMicro

Post by VintageMicro »

I cut this text directly from Keir's Github for flashfloppy, here is the Solution :)
https://github-wiki-see.page/m/keirf/Fl ... archimedes

For early models you need to disconnect the Pin 1 connection (This is the second wire at the Drive side of the ribbon)
(Disc Eject) by cutting the wire in the ribbon or removing the LK9 jumper if your Archimedes has this fitted, you will also need the FF.CFG put in a folder called FF in the root of your usb stick with shugart and acorn settings

Early Models: A3xx/A4xx/A3000/R140/A540/R2xx
Note that on A3xx/A4xx/R140 models the orientation of the IDC connector is flipped 180 degrees on the motherboard (Pin 1 becomes Pin 34, Pin 2 becomes 33 etc.) so will require a standard cable to be turned over. A3000/A540/R2xx models have standard orientation.

These use WDC-177x controlled double density drives for up to 800kB capacities so use:

interface = shugart

The A3xx/A4xx models drive pin 1 so to avoid 'Drive Empty' messages and damaging the IC29 line driver they require pin 1 (Disc Eject) to be disconnected, either on the cable or on the Gotek since the standard Gotek grounds this signal along with the rest of the odd pins.

A3xx/1, A4xx/1 & R140 models have the same issue which can alternatively be deactivated by removing LK9 jumper if it is fitted.

***Note if the .adf disk image is not exactly 800k then the flashfloppy wont recognise the image, so you will need to resize using something like the the DD command line tool

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”