A3010 post error flash decoding

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
HughF

A3010 post error flash decoding

Post by HughF »

Hi folks, I'm having a hard time decoding the post error flash on a A3010. I've read through the service manual but it's still a little cryptic to my untrained eye.

I understand binary without a problem, but the service manual has me slightly confused about how the codes are displayed.

Could someone with more experience than I take a look at this:

https://youtu.be/FhqB_NCzxwc

And perhaps advise what is going on with this otherwise 'clean' A3010? If there is a better description of how to decode the error codes that I can read, then that would certainly be a worthwhile use of my time so I can figure out the other machines as I get round to working on them.

Best viewed when muted, otherwise you'll have to suffer my boss in the background, ranting about the supplied Atmel/Microchip ICE3 spider leads being totally rubbish :D

Thanks in advance, Hugh
HughF

Re: A3010 post error flash decoding

Post by HughF »

Please ignore me, I've since found the decoder:

https://www.retro-kit.co.uk/page.cfm/co ... re-errors/
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

I enjoyed the fruity audio ;)

The only two bits worth considering are
MEMC protection failed
MEMC CAM mapping failed

I don't think I've ever seen MEMC protection failed before. I don't even know what that means (need to examine the POST source) but it's quite surprising to see on an A3010... is this an Adelaide by any chance, with daughtercard and discrete MEMC ?
HughF

Post by HughF »

It's just a regular A3010 that I've fixed the battery on (cr2032 and appropriate anti-charge circuit installed)....

I have scheduled tomorrow in the office to get on with an a4000 and this 3010 so will see what that brings.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

It would be great, if you're able to resolve this, to report what the fix for this failure is.
Or shout again here if you're still facing this problem.
HughF

Post by HughF »

I'll be sure to report my findings when I get some seat time with it tomorrow.
HughF

Post by HughF »

Hmm..... not much luck today - this 3010 is very very clean, having had it's battery removed in good time. I can't see anything wrong but resoldered the ram for good measure, that didn't make any difference.

Back to the drawing board with this one.

Nor did I make much progress on the a4000 I started last week, that refused to detect the acorn keyboard I found and still dropped me to the supervisor prompt, the video then finally went. So I've started replacing all the SM components around the VGA connector, as they were all reaching the stage where the damp had started to corrode off the plated ends of the caps.

I did however find the 2x a5000's in the shed, so I'll try and get a start on those next.
HughF

Post by HughF »

Could someone kindly point me in the direction of the schematics for the 3010/3020/4000? I thought I had these saved on my laptop but I can't seem to find them at the moment and the google results seem to point to sites that are down at the moment.
IanS

Post by IanS »

HughF wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:20 pm
Could someone kindly point me in the direction of the schematics for the 3010/3020/4000? I thought I had these saved on my laptop but I can't seem to find them at the moment and the google results seem to point to sites that are down at the moment.
Try here - http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... s.html#TRM
(near the bottom of the page)
http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... awings.zip
HughF

Post by HughF »

IanS wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:30 pm

Try here - http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... s.html#TRM
(near the bottom of the page)
http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... awings.zip
Thanks very much, I'll save these to my google drive for extra-safe-keeping
HughF

Post by HughF »

This 3010 is alive and well - it was a memory jumper issue. I've pulled out the upgrade sticks I had in there and reset the jumpers to the 1mb position and it booted right up.

Now to put it back together in it's case and have a look at the HCCS hard disk/mini podule card to see if that works.
thecellartroll

Post by thecellartroll »

Perhaps the RAM upgrade was faulty, or maybe someone downgraded from 4mb and failed to change the jumpers.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

HughF wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:59 pm
This 3010 is alive and well - it was a memory jumper issue. I've pulled out the upgrade sticks I had in there and reset the jumpers to the 1mb position and it booted right up.
Ah. Lucky. Very interesting that the jumpers would cause the MEMC protection error to appear. I'll need to remember that one! Thanks for reporting back :)
HughF

Post by HughF »

I'm very lucky with how clean this 3010 is actually, it has zero track damage or corrosion. Long may that continue
DSC_0117.JPG
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

HughF wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:56 am
I'm very lucky with how clean this 3010 is actually, it has zero track damage or corrosion. Long may that continue
You've not taken a photo of the important part at all tho ;)

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”