A310, RISC Developments IDE podule and SATA DOM.

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
gslug

A310, RISC Developments IDE podule and SATA DOM.

Post by gslug »

Inspired by this thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21943, I thought I'd try the same with my A310. I have the IDE to SATA board plugged into the external port on the podule, and the jumper set as slave. I ran *configure idefsdiscs 2 and tried formatting it with !IDEform, but that hangs as soon as I specify drive 5. Any ideas?
IanS

Re: A310, RISC Developments IDE podule and SATA DOM.

Post by IanS »

What device are you using as a master?

Try it with just the SATA DOM connected and set as master.

(Did the CJE memory board work ok?)
gslug

Post by gslug »

Thanks Ian,

I was using my original IDE HDD as master, but unplugging it and having the DOM as master has resulted in some progress. The drive is identified, but I get the error "Number too big". I've seen this mentioned somewhere before, so will do a bit of Googling.

The memory upgrade works great. Tempted to get and ARM3 and RISC OS 3 now, though I may just end up buying a 440 if I can find one that has these already.
IanS

Post by IanS »

Only using RISC OS 2 may be a limiting factor in what you can try. I don't think anything of that era supported partitions, or even expected drives to be > 512MB.

Do you get the option to specify the number cylinders, heads etc. What did you enter?

Got any pictures of it running and what it shows on screen?
gslug

Post by gslug »

This was the output:
IMG_20210407_230347.jpg
I found the post regarding "Number too big":
mikecad wrote:
Sun May 01, 2016 4:35 pm
Ha, I'm about 10 months late for this post but I thought I'd wade in, just in case anyone else has this issue. I had the same problem with mine coming up with a number too big error when trying to format. The issue is with the basic code in the !IDEFORM application which is attempting a multiplication which gives too big an integer (greater than +/- ~2billion).

Easiest fix is to divide the number of cylinders by a factor that will produce a 2GB drive. E.g. divide by 2 for a 4GB drive, divide by 4 for an 8GB drive etc.

Add this line to the code, replacing the divisor with whatever is most appropriate for your drive.

1105 Cyls%=Cyls%/2

This will allow the formatting to proceed although of course you'll need to fiddle with the right value for max cylinders in order to get a disk on or under 511MB. I don't believe the Risc IDE supports multiple partitions.

If you get errors at the end of the process (Unknown or missing variable), you might try setting the large file allocation unit to 2048. Big I know but it works.
Dividing by 16 worked, and I just accepted the defaults for cylinders, etc. Apparantly I have 527MB, but it seems to work. Now to find a way to mount the DOM internally - I may 3D print a bracket, and find a way of getting everything off my old HDD - it hasn't died yet, but for some reason dd under Linux just hangs forever trying to image it with two different USB to IDE adaptors.
IanS

Post by IanS »

gslug wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:47 pm
Apparantly I have 527MB, but it seems to work.
I'd be worried about that falling over when getting full. I'd try and get it under 512MB to be safe.
IanS

Post by IanS »

gslug wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:09 pm
The memory upgrade works great. Tempted to get and ARM3 and RISC OS 3 now, though I may just end up buying a 440 if I can find one that has these already.
Off-topic: Interesting that the memory upgrade displaces 8 chips from the main board onto the upgrade (looks like they were already included with the item you bought). The board then has an extra 3MB as well as the displaced 256KB. So it's still using all the remaining on-board ram chips (768KB).
Did it come with any instructions? I must have still needed a connection to RA9 on the memc.
Doesn't seem to be many caps on the board, I hope it's reliable.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

IanS wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:10 am
gslug wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:47 pm
Apparantly I have 527MB, but it seems to work.
I'd be worried about that falling over when getting full. I'd try and get it under 512MB to be safe.
I'm surprised you've even got something that appears to accept anything above 512MB. RISC OS < 3.6 FileCore-based FS's can't address something that big.
IME you want to be <= 499MB to get the more efficient/optimal 1KB LFAUs (or, somehow, 512byte LFAU with Watford software...)
gslug

Post by gslug »

Thanks for the advice re 512MB. I'll tweak the division tomorrow.

As to the RAM board, there was one flying lead to the memc, and it actually has a bypass cap for every IC - they are axial and under the IC sockets.
IanJeffray wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:30 am
I'm surprised you've even got something that appears to accept anything above 512MB. RISC OS < 3.6 FileCore-based FS's can't address something that big.
IME you want to be <= 499MB to get the more efficient/optimal 1KB LFAUs (or, somehow, 512byte LFAU with Watford software...)
No idea why it appears to work, but I'll aim for 499MB to be safe.

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”