A3020 now working - what to do with it?

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
barry.morrison

A3020 now working - what to do with it?

Post by barry.morrison »

Hi

I now have my ex school A3020 working well with a new battery, 4mb of ram and OS 3.1.1

Question is, what next. I would like to play some games on it but I don't want to pay £30 for a 29 year old floppy. I have fitted a CF card to the IDE port, but looking on the forum it seems decidedly difficult to get it working in a way I can download games to it.

Should I just stick to the plan of selling it and stick to my first love Amiga, or is there something I am missing?

Thanks

Barry
Attachments
Set up
Set up
Andy1979

Re: A3020 now working - what to do with it?

Post by Andy1979 »

Head on over to the JASPP website (https://forums.jaspp.org.uk/) and download ADFFS. Lots of ex-retail games legally available for free.

A3020 can read DOS high density floppies, so that's one method to transfer over the games assuming you have a PC with a floppy drive?

Alternatively, if you own a Raspberry Pi, I've had good success in getting my Pi to read the compact flash card from my A3010 in a USB reader, and the Pi can run RISC OS 5 natively. I'm using a 3rd party IDE interface though - not sure if that makes a difference to the card format.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

Oh do add a hard disc! This will make it a MUCH more useable and interesting machine. It's all of £6 and very easy to do... viewtopic.php?f=16&t=21705

Whether you're thinking of keeping or selling the machine, installation of this would make it significantly more appealing.

EDIT: Erp - I've just re-read your posting and you reckon you've added a CF card already --- but the photo shows no hard drive configured. Have you got that sorted out now?
thecellartroll

Post by thecellartroll »

Another vote for using a Raspberry Pi to populate the CF card. That's what I did. Though it should be noted that RISC OS on the Pi can only see the first partition on the card.

What I did in full, was to use ArcEm to build the hard drive contents that I wanted. Then used RPCEmu (cos it's faster!) to make a zip file with everything on the hard drive image. I put the CF card in the Pi and unzipped the zip file on to it that way. You can use a Pi Zero.
barry.morrison

Post by barry.morrison »

Hi

Sorry, please see attached. If I set the IDE drive, I get the error and don't know what to do.

As I have neither a PC with a floppy drive, or a Raspberry pi I think it's getting abit to much. I like the build of computers but I really do struggle with the software side.

Unless, would anyone be able to send me an already formated drive and I could pay for it?

Regards

Barry
Attachments
IDE on
IDE on
IDE on 2
IDE on 2
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

The error you see just means the drive's not formatted - it's ok.
You can get a USB floppy drive for absolutely peanuts on eBay. Worth doing as then you'll have a way of transferring data to your A3020, starting with !HForm to get the CF drive formatted :)
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

What to do with an A3020?

1. Use it for playing games, especially if it has a 4Mb upgrade. You will need a proper monitor that can resolve MODE12 without the letter box effect from using the LCDGamesModes module.

2. Use it for programming. There are lots of languages available for the A3020 - BASIC, Pascal, LOGO, PROLOG, FORTH, FORTRAN, C, etc.

3 Use it as a fileserver for a network. With an Econet interface and the Level 4 Fileserver software this is brilliant.

4. Use it for 'real' work. The Impression Style DTP/Word Processor, with PipeDream or Eureka (better) spreadsheet is a great combo.

5. Use it for music with a MIDI interface.

6. Use it for control applications with a User Port +Analogue interface plus a suitable interface box (http://www.flaxcottage.com/Oddments/ControlBox/cb.asp or http://www.flaxcottage.com/Oddments/SmartBox/SB-01.asp)

7. Your guess is as good as mine .. :lol:
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”