This will be a board that plugs in to the four ROM sockets on an A3000, and act like a DualOS/MultiOS board, plus let you flash new versions of RISC OS (or old versions... so you could have a machine that'll boot up with Arthur, RO2, RO3, the test ROMs, your own RO build...) over USB without having to open the case.
- 8-16MB of flash memory, so you can store 4-8 different OS ROMs at once
- In-system programmability -- you'll be able to connect your Arc up to a laptop via USB, and update the OS images while it's running (or powered down)
- SYS "OS_UpdateMEMC", 64, 64 support, even under RISC OS 3, for some extra speed
- Maybe support for other 4-ROM machines, although I only have A3000s here to test with.
- MAYBE (I still have to confirm this) the ability to make 4MB of flash visible to the machine by wiring in the A21 line, so you can fit more stuff in your RISC OS build
- MAYBE a fast USB serial port for off-machine communications (HostFS maybe?) using the extra address space, if I can fit this into the CPLD
Cost will be about $100 (£78) assembled including shipping worldwide; a bit less if you're in the USA, and there'll maybe be a kitset version for a bit less than that, although that's looking less likely right now as it'll have several BGA chips, which aren't easy to solder.
Caveat of course here is that I might not actually finish the project, but if I do, it'll be more or less as above
UPDATE: Keeping track of who's interested (from replies to this thread) - I'll confirm all this before actually ordering anything; this is just to give me an idea of who to talk to when I do have something working.
- IanS - one or more
- hubersn - 1 of the A310 type (has carrier board), 3 x A3000 (most important), 2 x A5000 type, 2-5 x Risc PC.
- paulv - one
- trixter - one (assembled)
- lcww1 - one
- JonC - 1 x A3000, 1 x A3020, 2 x A5000 (1's an Alpha), 1 x A440, 2 x A310, 1 x RISCPC
- 1024MAK - one or more for A5000, A30x0, A7000/Risc PC.
- Cutter - 1 x A3000
- markrwj - 1 x A3000
- Nutter - 1 x A3000