A5000 but no display..."Out of Range"

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
bradders38

A5000 but no display..."Out of Range"

Post by bradders38 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:39 pm

Hi all. I am clearing out father in laws house and have come across an Acorn A5000 with keyboard & mouse. I have connected it by vga to tv/monitor it powers up but it only displays the message "Out of range". I tried 3 different monitors but all the same outcome. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could connect it successfully? Thanks in advance Gary

RobC

Re: A5000 but no display..."Out of Range"

Post by RobC » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:54 pm

You may just need to reconfigure the monitor type...

Power the machine off and then hold down '0' on the keypad while powering on. If this doesn't work, power off and then try powering on but holding down '3' on the keypad instead. If this doesn't work, try the same procedure with '4' on the keypad.

If this doesn't work, try reversing the sync by powering off and then holding down 'T' when powering on. After this, repeat the above process - you don't need to hold down 'T' again.

You may still need to reset the overall configuration as there are rechargeable batteries in these machines that are used to retain the configuration. If not used for a long period, the batteries run out of charge and the configuration is lost. To reconfigure the whole machine, power off and the hold down the "Delete" key when powering back on. You may then have to reset the monitor type and sync again as described above

However, do note that if the machine hasn't been used for a considerable period, the battery can leak and deposit alkaline gunk over the motherboard - this can lead to damaged tracks and a non-functioning machine. If at all possible, I'd advise opening up the machine and inspecting the battery area at the very least. If you've got the skills, or know someone who has, I'd strongly recommend replacing the battery.

If the battery has already started to leak, the PCB will need to be cleaned (a course of white vinegar, distilled water and IPA works well) and then any damaged areas repaired.
Last edited by RobC on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bradders38

Post by bradders38 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:34 pm

OK thank you for the info, I`ll give it a go.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:42 pm

Everything RobC says but the simplest method I found with mine was to hold down the delete key whilst powering on. That resets the video drivers to automatically search for monitor type and they will select the most appropriate settings.
- John

aotta

Post by aotta » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:17 pm

And a useful proof about A5000 is working may be if it "beep" when booting, and if keyboard leds works.
And, of course, opening the A5000 and looking around battery area. As robc said, I am afraid the A5000 is damaged, and it is not a video question... I hope for you I am wrong

bradders38

Post by bradders38 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:31 pm

Thanks guys for your answers. I tried Robc suggestion first and holding `T` whilst powering up did the trick, It now boots up each time :D . Silly question perhaps, in the user guide it says if a hard drive is fitted the icon appears on the bottom left of the screen. I only see a floppy disc drive there..so does this mean no hard drive installed?? Any more simple tests I can do to check for any other problems?? Thanks again.

danielj

Post by danielj » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:39 pm

If you've reset the cmos RAM it won't know it has a hard drive - press F12 to get a * prompt then type

Code: Select all

*configure idedisks 1
Press return again, and if there's an IDE drive in there you should see it appear!

d.

bradders38

Post by bradders38 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:15 pm

Many thanks to danielj..your top tip worked fine and now hard drive is recognised and icon has appeared!!. Cannot see any battery leakage but can`t really get a close look. Don`t fancy removing bits in case it doesnt work afterwards!!

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:38 pm

Great :)

If you don't deal with battery leakage it really won't work, permanently. I'd get it to bits and make sure it's all cleaned up.

d.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:34 pm

danielj wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:38 pm
Great :)

If you don't deal with battery leakage it really won't work, permanently. I'd get it to bits and make sure it's all cleaned up.

d.
Absolutely get rid of any potential gunk. It will totally ruin your motherboard.

Do not be too frightened of stripping down the machine to get at the battery. Most things unscrew and/or unplug and go back easily. The scary bit comes when removing the battery and cleaning the motherboard with vinegar solution, water and IPA. :?

While the machine is stripped it could be a good idea to replace the PSU fan with a silent type. It will make using the computer much nicer. This will involve opening the PSU and soldering wires together though.
- John

simonm

Post by simonm » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:14 pm

flaxcottage wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:34 pm
While the machine is stripped it could be a good idea to replace the PSU fan with a silent type. It will make using the computer much nicer. This will involve opening the PSU and soldering wires together though.
This sounds interesting - could you advise a suitable replacement fan?
Would that same type of fan work on an A310 as well?
Thanks

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:03 pm

This is the fan I chose. It really is near silent.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Don't know about the A310. The A5000 PSU is exactly the same size as an older PC PSU and the fan was designed for one of those. I guess the company makes fans of all sizes.
- John

steve3000

Post by steve3000 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:29 am

simonm wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:14 pm
Would that same type of fan work on an A310 as well?
Thanks
I think I posted on here about my A540 silent fan conversion (but struggle to find this thread from my phone). The A540 has two fans, these are each the same size as the A5000's fan, and I can recommend the fans I used (which look awfully similar to the recommendation below ;) )

The A310 only has space for a smaller fan though...

simonm

Post by simonm » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:54 am

Thanks for the tips folks!