A305 With AKF50 Monitor - Resolution Issues

Arc/RPCs, peripherals, RISCOS operating system & ARM kit eg GP2x, BeagleBoard
SmellyGeekBoy

Re: A305 With AKF50 Monitor - Resolution Issues

Post by SmellyGeekBoy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:54 pm

DutchAcorn wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:33 pm
There is a warning here that once you cut the leg on IC4 you may lose the non-VGA modes?

If the multisync relies on the sync-on-green you will no longer be able to use the 15KHz modes once you do this mod? :?:
My understanding was that I'd lose the ability to use an older, composite sync monitor (my longer term plan is to socket this IC and make the mod switchable like in the linked post). But it would be good to get some clarification - I presume the multisync monitor still uses separate H/V sync for the 15kHz modes? It doesn't seem any more or less broken in these modes than it was before the mod anyway. :lol:
Hey, hey, 16K, what does that get you today?

SmellyGeekBoy

Post by SmellyGeekBoy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:44 pm

A Confession

So... I'd just like to apologise for being an absolute, monumental plonker. :lol:

You see, I decided to swap my monitor out for an AKF65 when I got home from work today. In the process, I caught sight of the label on the back of the "AKF50" I've been fighting with for the past few days.

Guess what?

The AKF50 is an AKF60!!! :oops:

That explains why it doesn't support the 15kHz modes!!!

I'm so sorry for wasting people's time on this... I like to think it's at least been educational for all involved.

I, for example, have learnt to always read the bloody label!!! #-o

So... I suppose the next question is - do I keep the AKF65, or do I try to get hold of an older monitor? I have to admit I do like the higher resolution modes so if there's a way to reliably force the older games to run in these modes I'm all ears... I'm guessing now is the time to install LCDGameModes?
Last edited by SmellyGeekBoy on Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve3000

Post by steve3000 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:07 am

Ah, yes, an AKF60 would certainly explain the issue! :wink:

But no harm done and at least you got to the bottom of it, while learning more about your A305. :D

Unfortunately the AKF60 isn't great for early Archies, it was sold with the first RiscPCs, and fits better with their graphics capabilities. I don't think LCDGameModes will help on a CRT, it may not even work, as it uses very unusual timings which are fine for most LCD decoder chips but not for driving real CRTs...

I suspect the best monitor for you would be a...erm...AKF50 :wink:

SmellyGeekBoy

Post by SmellyGeekBoy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:06 am

steve3000 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:07 am
Ah, yes, an AKF60 would certainly explain the issue! :wink:

But no harm done and at least you got to the bottom of it, while learning more about your A305. :D

Unfortunately the AKF60 isn't great for early Archies, it was sold with the first RiscPCs, and fits better with their graphics capabilities. I don't think LCDGameModes will help on a CRT, it may not even work, as it uses very unusual timings which are fine for most LCD decoder chips but not for driving real CRTs...

I suspect the best monitor for you would be a...erm...AKF50 :wink:
Perhaps I'll buy the one on ebay that's currently listed for £239! :shock: :shock: :shock:

SmellyGeekBoy

Post by SmellyGeekBoy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:36 am

I changed the MonitorType to VGA and LCDGameModes works great with Cannon Fodder at least:

I'm going to test it with some other games but it seems I'll be sticking with my AKF65 for now!

Thanks once again for all your help, everyone.