Howdy from Toronto Canada :)

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
waltermixxx

Howdy from Toronto Canada :)

Post by waltermixxx » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi there just a quick intro:

When I was a kid, i was in to electronics... so I built my first computer, a Cosmac ELF from scratch based on the Popular Electronics article (but this was 1981, my grade 9 math teacher let me borrow the magazine). I loved that computer and I went with a hex keypad instead of switches for data entry, it had TIL311 hex displays, and a PIXIE chip so it could connect to a monitor for outrageous graphics of 64 pixels by 32 if I recall correctly...

At any rate, typing in hex was getting old quick, and after my brother some how killed my elf by piling boxes on it, it was time to get another computer... I don't even remember how I came across it but someone in the area had an Acorn Atom for sale (This was Canada, so not even sure why it was available...) at any rate it was cheap, so I purchased it.

Oddly enough there was 1 store that supported it, and sold cassette based programs and hardware etc. (not much though) my acorn atom did have the colour card and 12k of ram. My favourite game was Stargate.

I was happy learning basic and messing around on it, it was fun... I started writing a graphics program to draw squares, circles and then it allowed you to fill them in ... it was pretty cool for someone in Grade 9 (at the time).

There was one guy who was hoping to make money distributing software for the Acorn Atom, the company was called Oak Microware. They were in Pickering or Ajax if I recall correctly. He liked to call his software Master This or Master That, I guess he had a couple of pieces he wrote himself... At any rate I wrote a program in basic, that let you draw lines and circles on the screen and fill them with colour to create pictures, using the keyboard to go up down left right and to pick a colour etc.... He ended up distributing it, and called Master Graphics if I recall correctly... somewhere in a box i still have the contract between me and Oak Microware. I would receive a royalty of $1.50 or something like that for each copy sold... I vaguely remember receiving a cheque for $6.00 at some point...

The few magazines i got for Acorn in general, had lots of advertisements for this BBC Model B computer, and I really wanted one, it looked way better than an apple ][ or vic 20, but the store did not sell it, and i had no way of getting one, so it remained a dream....

i went on to sell the acorn atom to a buddy, who then sold it to someone else...(I wish i still had it... if only we knew....) from there i went from computer to computer:

Apple ][ plus
Atari ST
Atari STE
Mac Plus
Windows PC
then back to mac
then both...

At some point i started getting nostalgic so I went crazy on ebay, buying apple II computers, //e platinum, //c, got a Mac SE30, Atari STe again, Mega ST, Commodore 64, Comodore 128, Atari 800, 600xl, 130xe, Amiga 500, 600, 1200, 2000, dead 4000.

I started looking for An Acorn Atom, but man those are expensive...
so I thought If I'm going to spend the money I should get the computer I wanted to replace my Acorn Atom and be done with it... the BBC Model B...

It arrived yesterday (January 15th, 2014) only about 34 years later... :)

First thing I did was mod the power supply so I could plug it into 110 volts a/c. Then I did the composite connector colour mod so I can see all the colours... then i plugged it into one of the many small LCD screens ( this one was a7" phillips second screen from a dual screen car DVD player...) sits nicely on the case and keeps it portable...i should grab the 12 volts i need from the bottom of the BBC... :)

at any rate i fired it up and all is well.... ( just he * key needs to be fixed the plastic + on top of the key where the key cap fits is broken so I have to fasion something to make a better glue on solution. :) ( had to do this with one of my apple //e platinums. :) ) so should not be a bid deal...

My first project will be the Micro MMC because i dont have a disk drive, or cassette tape drive for it... ( i was thinking of building some audio device that plays wave files into the bbc, i still may...)

so I will be on the forums digging away on how to do this...
I found the thread, and the circuit:

http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/bbc/mmbeeb/

http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 19&start=0

just need to ask some questions there... :)

Cheers... hope you got through this...

:)

davidb

Re: Howdy from Toronto Canada :)

Post by davidb » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:08 pm

It's always interesting to read about people's earliest computer experiences. :) Welcome! :D

leenew

Post by leenew » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:22 pm

Welcome aboard :D

Lee.

danielj

Post by danielj » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:30 pm

Hello there :)

d.

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:00 pm

Hi and welcome to the Forum . . . You may like to take a look Here I still have both machines :D

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

berendvosmer

Post by berendvosmer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:05 pm

Hello and welcome! :)

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:43 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D
- John

roland

Post by roland » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:38 pm

Welcome to this forum.

As you can read in the Atom forum there is a 2014 version of the Atom (and soon a 2015 with some bugs fixed) so you still have the change to get one. Only problem is getting a keybpard. And there are Atomulators all over the place, even on a Mac (still under development but it's coming).

And there are hundreds of interesting projects going on here 8)

Enjoy reading here,
Greetings from the south of the Netherlands
Roland
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:

Zarchos

Post by Zarchos » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:45 pm

Wow.
Impressive !
Welcome ! You'll find a great community of people here, always friendly, and experts in many fields ...

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:45 am

Ah, the number of Beebs in Canada is growing. We now cover the whole country almost.....

Welcome to the forum Walter.

I've had my Beeb for roughly a year or so, something like that......have added the RetroClinic DC, MMC, RAM/ROM Card....stuff like that. It's a lot of fun and the more North America gets a chance to see what a great machine the Beeb is, the better.

Had it been marketed properly here, it's likely to have taken over.

Again, welcome to the fun palace.

Ed......:-)
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:46 am

waltermixxx wrote:They were in Pickering or Ajax if I recall correctly.
(Waves!) Hello from the original Whitby! :) I have a cousin who still lives in your Whitby.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

waltermixxx

Post by waltermixxx » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:39 pm

Thanks folks, I appreciate the warm welcome. I read through the "first computer" thread, thanks for the link, it was a great read.... I still ask folks at work and those I meet, what was your first computer...

My wife and I actually lived in Whitby, Ontario no to long ago... :0). Now we are back in the Toronto area... ( Woodbrige )...

I look forward to getting and offering advice when ever possible...

Cheers!

tricky

Post by tricky » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:25 pm

Welcome.
Probably not the wav player you were looking for, but try this: http://www.retrosoftware.co.uk/forum/vi ... f=73&t=931

martinw

Post by martinw » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:05 pm

Howdy, and welcome :)

Martin

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:16 pm

welcome Walter :D

hope you did not spend the $6.00 in the same shop... :?
ImageImageImage

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:57 pm

Welcome on board Walter!

:D :D :D

Mark

Zarchos

Post by Zarchos » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:07 pm

Welcome !

Toronto, fabulous city, your Atom is lucky ! :wink: