Another Atomic Dutchman

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
roland

Another Atomic Dutchman

Post by roland » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:29 am

Hello to the Acorn World from Born in The Netherlands,

I joined your forum last week and my first post is my introduction. To some of you my name will ring a bell. My name is Roland Leurs and as I mentioned before I live a small village in the most southern part of the Netherlands, Born.

I bought my first Atom exactly 30 years ago, in November 1983. I have learned a lot with this computer and the best education on computer science was the Dutch Atom User Group. This is where I met Kees van Oss. I have written many programs for the Atom and for almost every program I wrote an article in our magazine Atom Nieuws. After ten years, in 1993 I designed and build the Atom-in-PC board which is an add-on card for an IBM-compatible PC with an 8-bit ISA slot. This added much sophisticated hardware to the well known Atom. From Atom basic I could make use of serial ports, (hard)disks, VGA graphics, sound, keyboard and mouse of the PC. To achieve this, I wrote an MS-DOS program in assembler.

After a few years the Internet got my attention. Live became more serious when my son and daughter were born. I started my own company in web-solutions (web-apps in PHP, web hosting and a bit of web design). Another annoying issue was that modern PC's don't have an ISA slot anymore. So the activities on my Atom were very low. Every now and than I meet Kees and he wakes up the old love for the Atom. I tried several methods to connect the Atom-in-PC to a laptop for example by serial port, and I even started to experiment with a PIC to make an USB connection between Atom-in-PC and laptop or PC. But those were not that very successful.

At the beginning of this year, I got the idea to connect my Atom-in-PC to my Raspberry Pi. I build a small interface to replace the 8255 on the Atom-in-PC board by an interface that is connected to the GPIO of the Pi. The goal was to build an interface in a way that no modification was needed on the Atom-in-PC board. I managed this by taking out the 8255 and put it on the new interface. The interface is fitted in the socket at the Atom-in-PC board.

And this works. You can see some pictures on my (Dutch) blog at http://blog.cis-websolutions.nl/2013/08 ... pberry-pi/ The software on the Atom-in-PC board will be unmodified so the software running on the Pi has to be rewritten. This takes a lot of time and it's hard to emulate all the IBM PC features in hardware and software on a Raspberry Pi running Linux. But I'm getting forward with it. It is possible to access the file system, enter commands, display some text on the screen, use colours and now I'm working on emulating the Atom graphics. The monochrome modes clear 1, 2, 3 and 4 are already working although it is very, very slow due to the low communication bandwidth between Atom and Pi.

The reason I joined this forum is because I know some people who have Acorn Atom hardware that they don't use anymore and are willing to donate of sell it to somebody who is in need of such hardware. I'll keep an eye in the "wanted" section of this forum.

Besides those activities I compiled a CD-ROM about 15 years ago, containing all the Atom software and documentation that was available within our Atom User Group. This CD-ROM was the basis of the current website acornatom.nl. Nowadays, this website is mainly maintained by Kees.

Well, this is my introduction to you. I'm looking forward to have such a nice time as about 30 years ago with people that also share the passion of the Atom.

Kind regards,
Roland Leurs
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:

daveejhitchins

Re: Another Atomic Dutchman

Post by daveejhitchins » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:04 am

Hi Roland, sounds like an interesting project. I'm sure you'll keep everyone up-to-date with your progress - Good luck there :D

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:34 am

Welcome on board Roland!

:D :D :D

A very interesting introduction.

Yes, do keep us up-to-date with your progress :D

Mark

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:56 am

Welcome!!!
roland wrote:Besides those activities I compiled a CD-ROM about 15 years ago, containing all the Atom software and documentation that was available within our Atom User Group. This CD-ROM was the basis of the current website acornatom.nl. Nowadays, this website is mainly maintained by Kees.
Is this CD still available, either physically or as an ISO Image?

Dave

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:23 am

Welcome Roland.

- John
- John

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:49 pm

welcome Roland :)

hopefully will get you and Kees/Dave more 'Missing In Action' games, as it's me making .WAVs and .CSW/hqUEFs, when the next batch of old tapes land at my front door.

Colin 8)
ImageImageImage

Garrettimus

Post by Garrettimus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:52 pm

Welcome to our forum, Roland. I've got some Dutch friends, they're very nice people. :D

By the way, greetings from Brazil!

martinw

Post by martinw » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:32 pm

Hi Roland :)

Martin

danielj

Post by danielj » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:55 pm

Hullo :D

d.

roland

Post by roland » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:09 pm

hoglet wrote:Welcome!!!
roland wrote:Besides those activities I compiled a CD-ROM about 15 years ago, containing all the Atom software and documentation that was available within our Atom User Group. This CD-ROM was the basis of the current website acornatom.nl. Nowadays, this website is mainly maintained by Kees.
Is this CD still available, either physically or as an ISO Image?

Dave
Hi Dave,

It must be somewhere in my room. I'll search it and make the ISO image available on a website. I don't know if it's a problem for you, but most of the content is in Dutch...

Regards,
Roland

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:05 pm

roland wrote:I don't know if it's a problem for you, but most of the content is in Dutch...
I'm willing to learn... after all, how hard can it be? :lol:

(Or maybe write a program to feed it through google translate)

Nice Atom, by the way!

Dave

oss003

Post by oss003 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi Roland,

welcome to the forum (finally .... :lol: ).
I'm sure you'll find some interesting projects and people to meet at this forum!!

Greetings
Kees

Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:51 pm

Welcome Roland,

indeed a very familiar name for me, in the past I did read a lot of your articles in the Atom Club magazines, I'm happy to see you back in the club, enjoy. :D

Greetings, Wim... :-)

Henkie

Post by Henkie » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi Roland,

Welcome to this forum :D I am sure you will have great time here :D

Antwan (see you in october!)

roland

Post by roland » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:57 pm

Thanks to you all for your warm welcome, I really appreciate it.

Some members have asked to keep you informed about the Atom-to-Pi project. I'll start a new topic in 'hardware' within a few days.

Greetings,
Roland

oss003

Post by oss003 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:36 pm

Hi Roland,

maybe you can also give a list of Electron projects you did in the past.

Greetings
Kees

jms2

Post by jms2 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:10 pm

Hello and welcome Roland!

I'd certainly be interested in the details of any projects you've developed. :D

roland

Post by roland » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:53 pm

My Electron projects ... I don't remember them very well. One of them was using the Electron as a printerbuffer for my Atom and another one was using the Electron being used as keyboard / video device for my Atom. Actually, that was the very first basis of the Atom-in-PC board.

I'll have to dig deep in my memory ( stored at www.acornatom.nl ) for other interesting projects.

I was just reading Atom Ware part 3 about the CLEAR command as my Atom-to-Pi hangs after a CLEAR 4 command. It's difficult to debug a system without a debugger :? It's just guessing and trying to get some reasonable output on the Pi screen....

davidb

Post by davidb » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:27 pm

Welcome! :D

roland

Post by roland » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:54 pm

I have found some of my Electron projects in my external memory. The are not as spectacular as my Atom projects. I created an I/O card with up to eight 6522's and connected an eprom programmer to it and I had been busy building a video interface to a scart input. That's almost everything I did with the Electron....

oss003

Post by oss003 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:50 pm

roland wrote:I have found some of my Electron projects in my external memory. The are not as spectacular as my Atom projects. I created an I/O card with up to eight 6522's and connected an eprom programmer to it and I had been busy building a video interface to a scart input. That's almost everything I did with the Electron....
Hi Roland,

What about:

- The Atom-Electron communication AECOM
- BBC/Electron video output to a CGA monitor
- Connecting an Electron to a PC
- Use Electron as printerbuffer for the Atom
- Digital Joystick for the Electron emulating keys (like the Dutch Atom joystick)
- BBC Basic on the Atom-in-PC board

Didn't you also do some graphic stuff on an Electron connected to an Atom ?

Greetings
Kees

AlanD

Post by AlanD » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:36 pm

Hello Roland

welcome i have FPGA ed the atom as one of my projects

here you can see it running Kees port of chuckie egg

http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... f=3&t=6313

AlanD

roland

Post by roland » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:53 pm

@AlanD: Wonderful job! That's much better than what I have been thinking of. Building a new Atom main board while using "new" techniques like colour board, MMC, big static memory chips etc. The FPGA implementation will save a lot of space on the circuit board :D

@Kees: I mentioned some of those projects and I just found some additional stuff for the connection between the Elk and a PC. It seems I have been working on pcDFS which uses the PC as a very huge drive for the Electron. Unfortunately, I have the listings only available on paper and the interface is gone. However it would be quite useless as it was also using an ISA card in the PC.

But thanks for notifying!

Regards,
Roland

Prime

Post by Prime » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:41 pm

Welcome Roland, friend of Kees......

If you have a search of the forums I think somewhere there are some pictures of my AtomClone.... built in the way you said, big static RAM, Flash ROM couple of CPLDs AVR handling MMC & PC keyboard, but pretty much everything else was original 6502 / 6522 / 8251 / 6847 etc.

As to why I built it, in the days before I had a real Atom, I couldn't see any hope of getting one from ebay as they where always LOLPRICE so I built the clone....in the end I did actually pick up a couple of Atoms for a reasonable price as they where spares and repairs.....and got repaired.

Cheers.

Phill.

roland

Post by roland » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi Phill,

I did a search on the forums to atomclone and I got five results but none of them pointed me to your atom clone. Do you have some photo's and the circuit (block) diagram available?

Greetings,
Roland

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:50 pm

I suspect that this could be the thread Phill is referring to. :)

berendvosmer

Post by berendvosmer » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:41 am

Hoi Roland,

Bedankt voor je mail. Ik reageer even zo, omdat ik nog niet kan pm'en.

Ik heb voor het boardje nog niet gecheckt of er buiten mijzelf en dave meer mensen er een zouden willen via een post in de 'aangeboden' categorie.

Ik denk dat ik dat doe, maar parallel gewoon een run bestel en vast componenten voor de eerste 2. Ik check of ik alles heb en laat je het zo snel mogelijk vandaag weten.

Btw: ik zag dat je het had over een bijeenkomst in Sittard. Is dat van de Big Ben Club? Ik heb een mailtje gestuurd naar de voorzitter om te vragen of en hoe ik me kan aanmelden, maar nog niets terug gehad.

Btw2: mijn schoonouders wonen in Sittard, vlakbij Born en we gaan er regelmatig voor een weekendje heen. Misschien kan ik je Atom projecten een keer komen bewonderen.

roland

Post by roland » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:49 am

berendvosmer wrote:Hoi Roland,
Ik check of ik alles heb en laat je het zo snel mogelijk vandaag weten.
No hurry, I can wait until after the weekend :wink:
berendvosmer wrote:Btw: ik zag dat je het had over een bijeenkomst in Sittard. Is dat van de Big Ben Club? Ik heb een mailtje gestuurd naar de voorzitter om te vragen of en hoe ik me kan aanmelden, maar nog niets terug gehad.
This meeting is not related to the Big Ben Club. It's a monthly meeting from the Atom Computerclub Limburg. Yes .... even after 30 years we still meet each other every first Friday of the month (except January, that's on the second Friday).

You do not need to be a member, everybody is welcome there. The address is:
Oos Kaar
Geldersestraat 41
Sittard

and we start about 20:00u. If you want to attend a meeting then let me know it because I don't take my Atom every meeting with me. Of course, you're also welcome at my place but at the meeting in Sittard there are more people and more fun :lol:

Looking forward to meet you....

BTW, if you want to email me for more private conversations, my mail address is my first name @acornatom.nl