New Member - Introduction

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
daveejhitchins

New Member - Introduction

Post by daveejhitchins » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:03 pm

I've just registered with the Forum and Peter (Samwise) suggested I drop my introductory note in here. Here it is:
Name's Dave Hitchins. Just found your site whilst looking for an Electron emulator for the Electron. Found it and have it running :D Need to bring-in the Basic program I'm working on, if I can figure out how(?) - more on that later.

Who am I . . . ? I'm the guy who designed and built most of the hardware that was sold, for the Electron, through PRES and later through Ian Copestake. My company was Baildon Electronics. I was on-my-own for a while, however, later on, there were four of us in the business. I still have some (all? - I'll have to check!) of the designs, some of the ROMs and lots of other Electron/BBC software and hardware. I'll be willing to share everything I have but may not be able to get-on-line as often as I would like.

Although I won't be using the Electron emulator for the 'full' development of my project - it'll be good to do some of the front-end stuff on my Mac instead of having to set-up the Electron I have.

One of the projects we undertook, at Baildon Electronics, was the design of a CD Juke Box with the Fender logo attached. This was through a local firm (in Heckmondwike - when I lived in Baildon, Bradford) called AMS Ltd. They undertook the design for Arbiter Leisure (Fender importers) who were working for Bass Charrington Limited (with me so far? :D ). Most of the final Juke Boxes were placed down-south. The relevance of all this is that the Juke Box contained one of my Battery Backed RAM cartridges. This was used to store all the track listings and various other house-keeping bits and bats. We had a purpose build, stand alone interface for the cartridges so that we could program any or all of the contents. Well, as I have a Juke Box and my interface is damaged (the EPROM got Sun Burn - I didn't have a label over it! And other parts of the circuit have ben damaged - It's a long story!) I need to be able to access and change the contents.

Isn't it amazing how small the Basic useable area was on the Electron? Although Slogger, I seem to remember, had a memory upgrade - I didn't get to fit one, though.

Anyway, enough for now. Hope this is a suitable introduction and you'll accept me :D

Thanks and best regards - Dave H.

Well, I've been accepted =D> So If anyone wishes to ask questions, please feel free. I'll apologise now as I'll probably be late answering . . . Too much work (and play :D ).

I hope to list all the Firmware and Software that I have from the business, at some point. I'll be shareing it, of course.

One thing that springs to mind is the Cross-32 Meta-Assembler. This is still available (for the PC) so you can check-out what its capabilities are. I have several copies available (will charge postage costs only - maybe!). We converted the original PC program for use with the Archimedes.

I still have a working Archimedes and an Electron and Plus 1. We took over production of the Plus 1, after Acorn stopped, with our own 'expandable' version (sold through PRES). The expansion was in the form of an internal board enabling extra 'permanent' ROMs to be fitted. I think it may have been a 'Plus 6' (maybe someone can help my memory here?). Anyway, I don't have one anymore :? If there's a spare one out there, working or not - or even damaged [I still have some spares!] I'd love to get-my-hands on one again.

Again, enough for now, more later - Best regards - Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

paulv

Re: New Member - Introduction

Post by paulv » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:31 pm

Hello :D

I've not got much knowledge of PRES kit, looking forward to finding out all about it :D

Paul

retroclinic

Post by retroclinic » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:45 pm

Welcome on board! Good to have another hardware designer from BITD with us!

Mark.

davidb

Post by davidb » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:05 pm

Welcome!

As an Electron user (still) and Archimedes user (not so much now), I remember the ICS and PRES names from my earlier years, though I don't think I have any of your kit. :(

Anyway, it's always interesting to hear about software and hardware development on the 8-bit machines, and I'm sure the Electron peripheral makers on here will jump at the chance to ask you some questions. :D

CanonMan

Post by CanonMan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:20 pm

Hello Dave H :)

I wouldn't mind seeing a photo or two of your jukebox... I seem to remember them from back in the day.

I also remember another type of jukebox that used a BBC Master PCB... did you have anything to do with that one?

Cheers,

Dave S

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi Dave :D

Great to have you around - I have no doubt that your Elk knowledge will come in very handy indeed =D>

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:30 am

Welcome :)
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:39 pm

CanonMan wrote:Hello Dave H :)

I wouldn't mind seeing a photo or two of your jukebox... I seem to remember them from back in the day.

I also remember another type of jukebox that used a BBC Master PCB... did you have anything to do with that one?

Cheers,

Dave S
Hi:
Firstly, Thanks for all the welcomes, it's appreciated.

I've attached a photo of the Jukebox. I've been searching the internet trying to find others. Not had any luck, so far. I know there were about 5K produced so there Must be some still surviving - somewhere?

The company who 'made' the juke box was AMS Ltd. and yes they had previous versions that used both the BBC (original board) and the Master. We provided them with our Battery Backed Ram Cartridge for the Master version. Other that that we had no involvement.

I plan to 'publish' what I have of the designs that were applicable to any of the Acorn products. Some have been lost, unfortunately. Careless, I know :?

More later - BRs - Dave H :D
Attachments
JukeBox-1.jpg
Quick-and-dirty photo of Fender Jukebox
JukeBox-1.jpg (225.03 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

bakoulis

Post by bakoulis » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:07 am

Welcome on board :D
2xElectron, 3xBBC B, BBC Master.
2xAcorn A310, A420/1, 2xA3000, 2xA3010, A3020, A4000, A5000.
2xRISC PC, Acorn Pocket Book, Acorn Pocket Book II.

CanonMan

Post by CanonMan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:50 pm

daveejhitchins wrote:I've attached a photo of the Jukebox. I've been searching the internet trying to find others. Not had any luck, so far. I know there were about 5K produced so there Must be some still surviving - somewhere?
Thanks for the photo. I seem to remember seeing one of these units in a pub in Stoke-on-Trent around 1995-ish, and I think there was a wall-box version as well.

I'd love a jukebox, but I've not got the space for it and the missus would probably object as well!

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:39 pm

Welcome Dave :)
ImageImageImage

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:44 am

Welcome :)

tricky

Post by tricky » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:10 am

For a while in the eighties I worked for Associated Leisure "down south" and installed a couple of Arbiter jukeboxes. The were the ones with the touch controls under a large circular glass top. I though I remembered our "electronics guy" programming eproms with new selections, but they may have been for something else.

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:56 am

One the original AMS Juke Boxes, not sure who they were sold through (?), used a Master motherboard and the ABR, as a CD list a coin manager. They did have a previous model so it may have been that one you refer to!

Dave H :D