Hello from Barcelona

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
xlazaro

Hello from Barcelona

Post by xlazaro » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:10 pm

I live in Barcelona, ​​Spain, and it all started some time ago ... in the eighties, specifically with a ZX Spectrum 16K.

As a hobby, I try to recover old 8-bit computers from flea markets and family / friends to keep them alive with basic electronic knowledge. There is a good bunch of them at home! I have also build with my daughter a simple raspberry retro computer to teach her the feeling of retro! : https://www.element14.com/community/com ... omputer-pi

Here in Spain, the BBC micro was somewhat difficult to find, there was no information about it and it was also difficult for parents to pay ... so recently, after a degree in watching the "BBC Computer Literacy Project" , I have the need to learn about this amazing computer.

I bought a "Model b" on eBay with the recapped power supply, it came from the University of Cambridge as the seller said, Econet was also present and originally a Cambridge University Lab PXE ROM was installed, which the seller removed. This computer was used as a terminal for data analysis.
The machine worked with the first boots, but in the process of testing and exchanging RGB / SCART and UHF outputs the curse of the long beep of doom arrived! Now there is a blank screen and a long beep.

I have been following some posts and I can see the high knowledge here about this machine in all its aspects.

My plans are to follow the related topics to revive this Beeb, I think it's a good way to start learning about it. I'm afraid I'll end up asking to this high-level community for help!

Regards,

X.Lazaro
Last edited by xlazaro on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Acorn BBC Micro model B and a lot of other 8-bit computers to take care of.

daveejhitchins

Re: Hello from Barcelona

Post by daveejhitchins » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:22 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Lazaro . . . Enjoy . . .

There are lots of threads for you to read about how to fix your Beeb - and plenty of help if you get stuck - good luck and keep us informed of your progress . . .

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

davidb

Post by davidb » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:28 pm

Welcome! :D

Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:47 pm

Hi,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Atomic Attic, Wim... :-)

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:57 am

Welcome. :D
- John

tricky

Post by tricky » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:22 pm

Welcome, that seems like a good pedegree for a beeb.

xlazaro

Post by xlazaro » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:14 pm

Thank you all, I will open a new topic with a step-by-step diagnosis and tests using the information collected here that can be applied to my machine. I hope this Beeb can come back to life!
Acorn BBC Micro model B and a lot of other 8-bit computers to take care of.

Return to “introduce yourself”