Hello Acorn fans!

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
BeebSteve

Hello Acorn fans!

Post by BeebSteve »

Hello everybody,
First apologies for this long thread as I tend to waffle on and don't keep things as short as I should.

I currently don't own a BBC (awww..) but I keep checking places like ebay in the hopes of getting one again but the prices are so flipping expensive.

Anyway I first got a Beeb in 1983, on my 21st birthday (yes.. I'm that old!) my mum gave me a choice of a holiday or a new computer for my bday. I was using a ZX81 at that time and yes I did love it but wanted something better. My first thoughts were of an Acorn Atom but then I saw the BBC Model B was out and that looked amazing.

Luckily an auntie of mine actually worked in one of Acorns shops (located in Bradford) and so she took me there and showed me the rows of glorious Beeb's and all the amazing software. I got a computer and had around £120 of money left for games so as you can imagine I was like a kid in a sweetshop that day.

I loved my BBC very much and even did some programming but sadly it was limted to basic only as I'm rather dim and machine code is vastly out of my simple intellectual reach. My favourite games were: Chuckie Egg, Starship Command, Freefall, Snapper, Planetoid, Monsters, JCB Digger (even though it gave me a headache after playing 10 mins with all the screen judder), Labyrinth.

I'll admit at times through 1983-84 I was jealous of my Spectrum and C64 owning friends as their game selection seemed to dwarf what was available on my BBC. However I had the last laugh when Elite as launched and utterly blew everyone away!

Sadly my BBC died many years ago and as I didn't have the understanding to fix it and I could not find any place at that time to do repairs, my much loved system was consigned to the dustbin. :( ..I still feel guilty, it was like throwing a friend away..

Since then I've owned a slew of systems from the Amiga through many consoles to today, when I have given up totally on new games as I dislike the direction gaming is heading right now, I loathe online games and will not buy games from companies that have lootboxes, microtransactions (micro my chuff.. some are over £80!) and other vile modern gaming additions.

I decided a couple of months back to abandon modern games and return to my 'roots', back to the time I fell in love with gaming. So to that end I am in the process of picking up a collection of classic 8 bit systems such as a Spectrum, Amstrad, C64, MSX, Atari 800 and of course a BBC. its going slow right now as the ebay prices for classic system is crazy high and with being disabled I'm on a very tight budget so I have to mind the pennies and I can't go crazy.

I do hope this time around to get into programming (even if it's only Basic again) as I'd love to create some games even if they are really simple.

Thanks for letting my join and again, sorry for waffling on and on.

Steve
roland

Re: Hello Acorn fans!

Post by roland »

Hi Steve,

Welcome to this forum. Enjoy your visits here.
I know there are people here who have many beebs. Maybe someone wants to sell one to you - don't give up hope :)
You also might bump into an Atom some day. And guess what? You can play Chuckie Egg on that computer as well :lol:

Greetings from the South of the Netherlands,
Roland
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Welcome, Steve. :D
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard »

Hi Steve,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Atomic Attic, Wim... :-)
tricky

Post by tricky »

Nice intro, shame about your beeb.
You might want to join in with viewtopic.php?f=46&t=17561#p243455
You might like to try to see how these work viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14919&hilit=unattended#p200195
And you have probably already found http://bbcmicro.co.uk/
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

Welcome! :)
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

welcome Steve 58 :)

yes also loved JCB Digger BITD, it was same flicker even on a cub monitor! :shock:
ImageImageImage
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Welcome to the Forum, Steve . . . Enjoy . . .

Dave H :D
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

Welcome.

I to have more or less given up on modern games, not because they aren't good, I just don't have the time to invest in them. (And besides there are too many chores for me to do, or so I am told).
oss003

Post by oss003 »

Hi Steve,

welcome and enjoy the forum ....

Greetings
Kees
BeebSteve

Post by BeebSteve »

Thanks everyone.
-B-

Post by -B- »

Welcome! This is a fantastic forum for info and help.

Your story of abandoning modern gaming and collecting classic 8-bit systems will sound familiar to many here. Although some, like me, may not have tried modern gaming at all. I'm more into the hardware side of things anyway.
Atom | BBC Model A | BBC Model B | Electron | Olivetti PC128S.
davidb

Post by davidb »

Welcome! :D
DaveLecky

Post by DaveLecky »

Welcome, you will find lots of info here, I wish I had found it years ago.

Dave
Electron Plus 3 and plus 1, AP6 and Home made MMFS PP SD interface
Electron Plus 1 Pres AP3/4
Beeb issue 7 with IFEL 16 socket Rom/Ram board
Master 128, BooBip multi OS,IFEL SD card
StrongA RPC, A3020
Atom
Hawk3y3100

Post by Hawk3y3100 »

Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum! :D