Atom Owner from Smalltown, Canada

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
Lungfish

Atom Owner from Smalltown, Canada

Post by Lungfish » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:01 pm

Hello everyone,

Long story short, my dad brought home an Acorn Atom in 1980. I got as far as creating a (very limited) drawing program -- think Etch-a-Sketch but without the utility. The little guy's been collecting dust in my dad's basement since the mid-80s. Recently I came across a bunch of my Atom notes: graph paper with sprites and hex equivalents, printouts of game code, a photocopy of the manual, etc. and my curiosity/nostalgia was piqued. So here I am.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure my machine is the 12K with colour board, or at least some sort of extended ROM. My dad and I were assembling a floppy drive for this thing but the project was abandoned. Still have a box of tapes around there somewhere. Anyway, I'd love to find out how to hook this thing up to more modern peripherals like an LCD monitor or something.

Anyway, nice to have found this place, and that it looks like there's still activity.

Peter

Elminster

Re: Atom Owner from Smalltown, Canada

Post by Elminster » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:13 pm

Welcome. I should think an Atom owner in Canada is a a pretty exclusive club in an already exclusive club. There are a few other users from Canada floating around here, you might want to hook up with them on one of their meets.

davidb

Post by davidb » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:18 pm

Welcome! :D

oss003

Post by oss003 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:57 pm

Welcome and you came to the right place ...
We can make them better, stronger and more powerfull, sky is the limit ....... :)

In this post you can find some Atom expansions:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8168&p=86259&hilit ... ard#p86259

Greetings
Kees
Last edited by oss003 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tricky

Post by tricky » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Welcome, there have been a few of us just got ATOMs.
Did you program in BASIC or assembler?

Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:16 pm

Hi Peter,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Acorn Attic, Wim... :-)

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:48 pm

welcome Peter :)

could you take a picture of the tapes, as some are still missing from archive.

also need a picture of inside your Atom!
ImageImageImage

trixster

Post by trixster » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:37 pm

Welcome! Good to hear from another Atom owner!
A3020 | A3000 | A420/1 | BBC B + 128K RAM/ROM + 20K Shadow + Pi0 + VideoNuLA
Master Turbo + DC + BeebSID | Atom | A4000 060 | A3000 060 | A1200 060 | A500
Atari Falcon 060 | Saturn | PS1 | SNES | CPC6128 | C64 | 3DO | MD | Jaguar

Lungfish

Post by Lungfish » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:52 pm

Wow, didn't expect such a rush of replies. Yes, I think there was a minor Atom movement in Southern Ontario in the early 80s... I only went to one meeting but there was a user group called ATOMOTA (Atom Owners of the Toronto Area).

Will absolutely take photos of the innards of the Atom once I rescue it from the shelf in my folks' basement. And figure out what those tapes were.

I programmed in BASIC and dabbled in Assembly. I recall that mixing the two was a unique Atom feature. My number one memory of this era was comparing my Atom's capabilities with my buddy's Apple IIe. :D

In the meantime, I will look at that link and start imagining what I can do with a nearly 40-year old machine. :)

Peter

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:43 am

Welcome to Stardot, Peter! This is the the place to be if you want to relive some of those memories, there is still a lot of fun to be had with an Atom! :D
Paul

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:34 am

Welcome, Peter. :D
- John

danielj

Post by danielj » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:37 am

Hullo Peter :)

d.

roland

Post by roland » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:27 am

Hello Peter,

Welcome to this forum. Enjoy your visits here and find out what a great machine this little computer can be.

Greetings from the south of the Netherlands,
Roland
256K + 6502 Inside
MAN WOMAN :shock:

oss003

Post by oss003 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:04 am

Hi Peter,

It certainly is interesting to know what's on the tapes, maybe some MIA titles for the Acorn Atom Archive ..... :wink:
The Archive has almost 800 titles now, all can run from the menu.
We also have some tools to recover bad tapes.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=6544

Greetings
Kees
Last edited by oss003 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lungfish

Post by Lungfish » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:08 pm

I skimmed the archives and I don't think there's anything that I have that isn't in there already -- honestly, I had no idea there was so much software out there for the Atom. However, it was a fun trip down memory lane just reading the titles. Green Things stands out for me as a fun game that was never the same twice. And who could forget Babies. That game really upset my mom but my brother and I thought it was hilarious.

I'll be visiting my folks in the upcoming weeks so I should be able to get photos and a list of tapes as soon as that happens.

Peter

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:36 pm

Welcome Peter.

This is the best forum you could be on but there is also a FB forum.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AcornAndBBCMicro/

I'm in Western Canada in Squamish. There are two of us in the general Vancouver area that have formed the ABUG Canada West group and we've met twice so far. I expect we're going to try to meet roughly once every one or two months just to do some fun Beeb stuff. We have some BBC Bs, one of which is a US model, a Master, An A3010.

We also have a couple of broken PSUs for Beebs and we're in the process of trying to figure out exactly what is wrong with them. The guys and gals on this group are awesome at helping with things like that and you'll find that out for your Atom as well. The Atom groups are small but powerful and they LOVE their machines.

Anyway, once again, welcome to the best Acorn site on the interWeb.

Ed...... :-)
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken but to be worked on Beeb Motherboards

klintworth

Post by klintworth » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi Peter,
Welcome fellow Canuck! I'm the other half of the ABUG Canada West, and we're happy to recruit more members! Ed in Squamish has renewed my love of Acorns, always wanted an Atom!! At the moment I'm knee deep in key switches trying to mend a recalcitrant BBC B keyboard. Some progress, as well as a few mangled ones!! Enjoy these wonderful forums! Paul
BBC B Issue 4, BBC B UNB09 Issue1 (USA), Electron & A7000+

Lungfish

Post by Lungfish » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:26 pm

I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that enthusiasm for the Atom hasn't died. I left Facebook years ago so you won't see me there but I'm looking forward to contributing and learning here (probably more of the latter than the former).

I just (re)dug up the paperwork I've hoarded over the years. This includes:

1. documentation for the Programmer's Toolbox EPROM
2. Eight issues of "Oak Leaves", the newsletter of Atom Users' Group Canada
3. An article from Byte Magazine, March 1983: Build the ECM-103, an Originate/Answer Modem
4. An article from InfoAge Magazine, January 1983: Educating the Atom (building an RS232 interface)
5. "Atom Forum" pages from Acorn User magazine, Nov 1983, including info on Mode Four Text and Hex, Key Search in Assembler, Random Number Generator, an article entitled "Alternative Toolbox", and "A Touch of the Unusual in Atom ROM"
6. Photocopies of covers for Acornsoft Games Packs 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, and 9
7. Photocopy of Acornsoft Peeko-Computer Manual
8. Photocopy of manual for Bug-Byte's 747 Flight
9. Price list of selected Atom software
10. An article from Computing Today, Feb 1982: Graf-Rite (Define and store your own characters for use in the Atom's high resolution mode)
11. Code from various games including Snake, Green Things, and others

If anyone would see value in one or more of these items and they're not already available on the forum, I'd be happy to scan and upload. Just point me to the appropriate forum.

Peter

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:48 pm

Lungfish wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:26 pm
If anyone would see value in one or more of these items and they're not already available on the forum, I'd be happy to scan and upload. Just point me to the appropriate forum.
Out of that little lot, I think the "Oak Leaves" User Group magazine is this most interesting.

Dave

scruss

Post by scruss » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:37 pm

waltermixx in Toronto has recently got an Atom again. He told me that there was a retailer in Toronto that had a bunch of Acorn Atoms, and he bought one as his first computer. He sold it some years ago, but just got a new one.

The magazine's interesting. I guess the local Acorn support might've explained why East York school board settled on BBC Micros for their schools.

Lungfish

Post by Lungfish » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:11 am

He told me that there was a retailer in Toronto that had a bunch of Acorn Atoms, and he bought one as his first computer
That would probably have been Gladstone Electronics on Avenue Road (now the site of a clothing store).

I'll scan the newsletter and just remove any personal info like names and addresses. I kind of want to get the blessing of one John Wood who appears to have run this group, but who's to say where he is today.

scruss

Post by scruss » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:21 pm

Yes, I remember Walter mentioning that retailer.

TBH, 30 year old address data is very unlikely to be considered personal data these days. The chances of any of it being current is almost nil. TPUG - Toronto PET Users Group, still going strong (growing, much to our surprise) - has all of its old mags online unredacted. There may be one member who is still at the same address.

Trying to track down an old member is impossibly hard. I found that when putting the LOGIC (Loyal Ontario Group Interested in Computers) Apple II archive online. So many of the leading lights of local 8-bit computer groups have passed away, and the one guy I seemingly needed to look for for all the information was three years gone. Thankfully, LOGIC was a going concern until a couple of years ago, so I found some great contacts via the former sysop.

Lungfish

Post by Lungfish » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:18 pm

scruss wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:21 pm
TBH, 30 year old address data is very unlikely to be considered personal data these days. The chances of any of it being current is almost nil. TPUG - Toronto PET Users Group, still going strong (growing, much to our surprise) - has all of its old mags online unredacted. There may be one member who is still at the same address.
Fair enough. I suppose any of this info would be available through the white pages anyway.

I've posted the newsletters here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=15424