Well Hello!!

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
Balmoral James

Well Hello!!

Post by Balmoral James » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:58 am

Hello everyone- I am an avid collector of Computers and Consoles and have had the pleasure of owning an Electron for the last couple of years and am really enjoying it and I have built up a modest collection of Electron games. I recently decided my interest in all things Acorn Computers was sufficiently advanced enough to finally add a nicely reconditioned BBC model B to my collection!
I have a couple of questions- Apart from games marked Electron/BBC---are all Electron games BBC compatible or just some? (In which case I guess it's a case of trial and error as to which ones work and which don't)
Also- Are Scart and Cassette leads compatible with both systems?
Thanks in advance and I look forward to being part of your fine forum.

danielj

Re: Well Hello!!

Post by danielj » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:30 am

Hello James, welcome. SCART and tape leads are the same.

In so far as elk games on the beeb - some will work fine, some will work but be very fast, some won't work at all. The BBC runs at full speed in every screen mode, the elk runs at half speed accessing RAM, and can really slow down hugely in MODEs 0/2. Mostly electron versions are inferior to the BBC Micro versions as they've been tailored to the elk's slower hardware and single channel sound, it also can't do many of the tricks the beeb can using it's video hardware and 6522 VIAs.

If your BBC Micro has a disc interface, I'd really recommend getting one of the £12 GOTEK Floppy Emulators and installing the FlashFloppy firmware on it. You can use all of the disc images from bbcmicro.co.uk and stairwaytohell.com with impunity. If you need help doing this there are plenty of guides and people here with experience.

d.

Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:45 am

Hi James,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Acorn Attic, Wim... :-)

tricky

Post by tricky » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:46 am

The gotek is good for a smaller number of disc images as swapping is about the same as changing a real disc, including finding it in the box (selecting it) and is probably the most compatible disc substitute.
If you don't have a disk interface, for about £12 you can get a ready built MMC (I think from SirMorris) or with a soldering iron and EPROM+burner have fun DIYing one. These support nearly everything on stairwaytohell, but with a menu to change game.
There are plenty of other HW projects, listed around here somewhere.

danielj

Post by danielj » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:56 am

tricky wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:46 am
The gotek is good for a smaller number of disc images as swapping is about the same as changing a real disc, including finding it in the box (selecting it) and is probably the most compatible disc substitute.
You can organise them into directories, so it becomes exactly the same as navigating a menu on the beeb's screen. But that requires modifying it with an OLED/Rotary encoder in order to really take advantage of it, which is a little fiddlier. I've got hundreds of images on one of my memory sticks and no issue with getting to them. I agree though, if no disc interface and games are your bag, the SD option is quicker/easier to get up and running.

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:16 am

Welcome to the Forum, Balmoral James . . . Enjoy . . .

I'd stick to your Electron - but I'm biased :roll:

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:54 am

Welcome to the forum.
tricky wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:46 am
There are plenty of other HW projects, listed around here somewhere.
Link to hardware list in my signature below.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:38 am

Welcome, James. :D
- John

Why do I keep collecting Acorn gear? I'm going to need a considerably bigger man-cave. :?

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:51 am

welcome James :)

agree on electrons, but need a plus1 to open it to full potential!
ImageImageImage

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:47 am

Welcome James, enjoy Stardot! Have you read about the mega games cart for the Elk (needs a Plus 1)?
Paul

davidb

Post by davidb » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:08 am

Welcome! :D

tricky

Post by tricky » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:14 pm

I wasn't being negative about how a game is selected with a GOTEK (I've just ordered one for myself).
What I meant to say before I got distracted was that taking a few seconds to find a game (like thumbing through a disk box) and then taking a few 10s of seconds to load means that you might play the game a little longer and actually enjoy the experience more ;)
It's no where near the investment of loading a tape, but not many of us feel we have the time to do that anymore.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:40 pm

I am waiting for the punch tape gotek. Replace USB with paper tape for that true Retro experience

tricky

Post by tricky » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:56 pm

When I was a teenager, I did a distance learning course in COBOL.
We had to write our code on coding sheets and post it off, where it was punched on to cards and fed into a mainframe.
We got quite a few syntax type errors and round trip on compilations was about a week and a half!

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:59 pm

I typed COBOL at uni, one character in the wrong column and the whole thing didn’t work, I can image on tape would have been tedious.