Hello fellow Microites

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
Microboy

Hello fellow Microites

Post by Microboy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:00 pm

I hail from Lodi California. As i grew up in america, i would have very little knowledge of British life or ways of thinking (to me the spelling of color as colour is wrong and i can't wrap my head around certain words being spelled differently, though i like the british version of theatre better. While i can sympathize with some aspects of the U.K (No guns allowed, no death penalty) i think of others as absurd (an elected monarchy, Shepard's pie, yes i've eaten it, use salt...please)

Though, were it allowed, i would gladly emigrate to the UK were i able. I view the simple computers like the zx80 and 80 as fantastic, i love the old architecture and i view places like the Rhine river and Holland as beautiful. My mother and i work with chocolate so we would be at home their. and I LOVE pretzels like the devil loves souls.

I can eat a mountain of chocolate in 30 minutes tops, love british horror better than american, and yet find the aversion to violence and yet partiality to swearing absurd. The Germans made Left 4 dead's riot zombies impossible to kill with the flamethrower but can allow a few expletives here and there.

Is it true that adult movies here get an all ages rating across the pond? i am simply fascinated by your country and hope to hear more from you

CMcDougall

Re: Hello fellow Microites

Post by CMcDougall » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:09 pm

welcome Hail :)

it's nappies not diapers ! #-o

think adult movies are rated 18 (not worth watching) X (again pointless or fake), XX (over 21 not fake but no close ups) XXX ( i was never told those things at school, thought that was for a jobby) :lol:
ImageImageImage

Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:10 pm

Hi,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Acorn Attic, Wim... :-)

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:15 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Microboy wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:00 pm
Shepard's pie, yes i've eaten it, use salt...please)
Depend who makes it. Personally I add no salt to anything(because it is bad for you), but then i rarely eat Sheppard Pies either. Mainly Rice and pasta. (with no added salt).
Is it true that adult movies here get an all ages rating across the pond? i
Errr. No. That would be odd. Not unless I go to the wrong (right) shops.

tricky

Post by tricky » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:42 am

Welcome, we have salt in everything savoury and the Scots put it in their portage porridge.
I ran a small chain of video shops in the 80s before the "new' age ratings came in and things were a little wild west back then. You could also look up red triangle films when channel 4 started; yes, we started the 80s with three TV stations.
I don't think we have an elected monarchy, but I ignore politics as much as possible.
In the late 70s, the government panicked about computers and robots and started the computer literacy project to get the whole country up to speed, this and the partnership with our national TV company brought about the beeb.
Last edited by tricky on Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:28 am

tricky wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:42 am
I don't think we have an elected monarchy, but I ignore politics as much as possible.
I think he means a ' constitutional monarchy', which is elected only in who had the biggest sword many hundred years ago.

Microboy

Post by Microboy » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:40 pm

couldn't get on yesterday. i kept getting a general error about too many connections

tricky

Post by tricky » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:28 pm

SSL error (I think), me too, but not seen it before.

davidb

Post by davidb » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:48 pm

Welcome! :D

danielj

Post by danielj » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:58 pm

tricky wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:28 pm
SSL error (I think), me too, but not seen it before.
No, it was just that we were too popular. We've increased the number of connections available and will see how it goes :)

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:01 pm

Was probably the hoards of SWTPC owners reading my post in the ‘not acorn section’.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:11 pm

Welcome. :D

You need to get a BBC. :lol:
- John

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:19 am

Welcome to the forum, Microboy . . . Enjoy . . .

As for Color :shock: - No, Colour - - Aluminum :shock: - No, Aluminium - - Soder (pronunciation) [-X - No, Solder - It's Sold with an 'er' on the end :lol: This last one, I just don't understand . . . But, hey! I shouldn't be throwing stones, as I can't spell to save my life, as you'll probably notice, in time :lol: And, as for Sheepherders pie . . . You probably haven't had a real one - Due to the falling numbers of sheepherders we now have to use sheep for the filling :roll: Salt, optional!

Oh! And you need an Electron - none of these fancy Beeb things . . . .

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:37 am

daveejhitchins wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:19 am
Soder (pronunciation) [-X - No, Solder - It's Sold with an 'er' on the end :lol:

Dave H :D
I never understanding why it is pronounced this way in US, they don’t say ‘soider’ for ‘soilder’.

danielj

Post by danielj » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:40 am

One often discovers that what we think of as American pronunciations are actually 17th century English ones that stuck there and changed in the UK. :)

d.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:03 am

Pretty sure they didn’t do much soldering in 17th century.

I.e. usually when you invent something you don’t decide to use the pronounation from 2 hundred years previous. And also not consistent with other words that don’t get pronounced this way. But then I am not a linguist.

Edit: the other fun one in my world that causes mass confusion is ‘beta’. When pronounce as ‘bay-ta’ it sounds like a completely different word to ‘bee-ta’.