Hello from California, possibly Exile's biggest fan!

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
scarybeasts

Hello from California, possibly Exile's biggest fan!

Post by scarybeasts » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:16 am

Hi,

I've been reading the forums for a while but I'm only now getting around to creating an account and saying hello... owned an Elk and then a Master Compact back in the day, when I lived in the UK.

I'm possibly Exile's biggest fan and I still play it from time to time, sometimes resulting in blog posts, e.g.: https://scarybeastsecurity.blogspot.com ... egant.html. I'm also getting my kids into it, we'll see how that goes in a world of Minecraft and Super Mario Cart. I also may or may not be working on an HTML5 remake ;-)

Couple of questions:
- Anyone else here living in the Bay Area, CA? Already found a few of us and made new friends thanks to the Exile connection. Would love to make more.
- Anyone selling a copy of Exile? Might be fun to have one for posterity, or try and get it on display in one of the local computer or gaming museums!

Cheers
Chris

Multiwizard

Re: Hello from California, possibly Exile's biggest fan!

Post by Multiwizard » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:58 am

Hi Chris,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Acorn Attic, Wim... :-)

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:01 am

Hello! Never really got into this game - keep meaning to give it a go.
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
USA Model B
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:18 am

Welcome to the Forum, Chris . . . Enjoy . . .

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:25 am

welcome Chris :)
ImageImageImage

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:19 am

Welcome, Chris. :D
- John

davidb

Post by davidb » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:30 am

Welcome, Chris! :D

We discussed your blog in this thread and were suitably impressed by how comprehensively you managed to nail down those puzzles. I ended up using the quirks of the game engine to finish the game. :)

petercumberland

Post by petercumberland » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:47 pm

G'Day Chris and a very warm welcome

I am glad to hear you have come out of exile (pun most definitely intended) I myself have recently returned from 10 years living in Seattle and I am already missing the West Coast.

I am sure you will have sparked interest in an HTML5 port of Exile (I have to say rather you than me) and I was greatly amused by your comment regarding getting the kids involved in Exile! My suggestion would be have your kids do the HTML5 version and then you can produce a native 6502 implementation instead!

Best regards and have fun

Pete

scarybeasts

Post by scarybeasts » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi Pete,

Tempting -- I still know 6502 a little and actually had to use it in a real modern context recently(!!). I was thinking of what an Exile enhancement might look like, on original machine, if we assumed and used sideways RAM? Interesting no? But I'm too lazy. And HTML5 runs at 60fps without much effort.

Cheers
Chris

sydney

Post by sydney » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:38 pm

Welcome!
I'm loving your avatar.

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:53 am

Welcome, Chris. Was thinking ... is that vsftpd Chris (the scarybeasts URL tickled my grey matter) or is my memory playing tricks? Yes you are and no my memory isn't playing tricks. :D Small world!

Welcome to the forum.

scarybeasts

Post by scarybeasts » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:02 am

Hi Richard,

Yes, I'm vsftpd Chris :)
Exile is about 30 years old and vsftpd about 20, so maybe it now classifies as retro too!

Cheers
Chris

petercumberland

Post by petercumberland » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:38 am

Hi Chris

Looks like Exile and Sideways RAM was under discussion here:

viewtopic.php?t=10490

And I am not sure if you trying to be kind since BITD I wrote a program to enable you to put your programs into Sideways RAM, but on the off chance you were not teasing me then my program can be found on the 8bs.com archive in the Beebug Vol.8.No.6 November 1989 edition.

Cheers ... Pete

ThomasHarte

Post by ThomasHarte » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:05 pm

I spent three years in San Francisco, living up on Potrero Hill, but made my escape. To New York, so that's a highly subjective statement.

There is at least one Electron (and more) hacker at Google SF. Sadly I found out only as I was on my way out of that company's door so I never made contact. If my current career gamble doesn't work out and I end up back where I started, I'll be sure to say 'hi'!

scarybeasts

Post by scarybeasts » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi Pete,

I didn't know about your past adventures with sideways RAM. My thought is: what would Exile have been if it had required 64k / sideways RAM from the start? There's room for more game as well as the bigger screen. I know that requiring sideways RAM wouldn't have been a commercially viable choice but still interesting food for thought.

Cheers
Chris

petercumberland

Post by petercumberland » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:11 am

For your perusal if you haven't already (from 1995)

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/c ... NkcNXeOXkJ

I don't know if Peter Irvin and Jeremy Smith frequent these forums but might be worth a search...

Cheers for now...Pete

petercumberland

Post by petercumberland » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:21 am

scarybeasts wrote:Hi Pete,

I didn't know about your past adventures with sideways RAM. My thought is: what would Exile have been if it had required 64k / sideways RAM from the start? There's room for more game as well as the bigger screen. I know that requiring sideways RAM wouldn't have been a commercially viable choice but still interesting food for thought.

Cheers
Chris
From a programming point of view you essentially extend addressing and gain access to more memory to play with for Sideways RAM aware programs. There are better qualified folk on here who I am sure can expand on that and dig a bit deeper into assembling code under OPTions 4 to 7 which gets around the infamous machine code/virtual address space issue.

Cheerio

Pete

petercumberland

Post by petercumberland » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:59 am

I often still get asked about my inspiration for writing BRIC (Basic Rom Image Creator) and most (but not all) are amused when I tell them it was merely a "cheap trick" to allow you to "feel good" about your high level programming masterpiece simply by allowing, like real binary executables of the time, your program to be run using * commands. Since I was 16 when I wrote it - I was all in on cheap tricks as I am sure my soon to be ex-wife can attest :o

Somethings never change huh? :D

Cheers Pete

petercumberland

Post by petercumberland » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:52 am

For the curious enquirer who asked why in line 1880 of BRIC I saved the X and Y registers, I must draw your attention to the 2 rules to success in life:

Number 1. Don't Tell People Everything You Know

To the keen eye it shouldn't be difficult to work out what was going on with that - unless your ROM service call handler actually needs to call a service - then the X and Y registers do not need to be saved - thus removing the need for PLA:TAX:PLA:TAY:PLA. So why the store the accumulator? [-X

Answers most certainly on a postcode only - please - and before you ask, no, this has nothing to do optimising 6502 code - you think a testy school kid cares about saving 14 bytes? This one (me) didn't I can assure you. Thank you for your question though and thank you even more for your letter of praise and your compliment of "nice program". That meant a lot to a kid back then and spurred me on to greater things. And I will always be grateful for that. :D

Peter J. Cumberland

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:14 pm

petercumberland wrote:I don't know if Peter Irvin and Jeremy Smith frequent these forums but might be worth a search...
Sadly Jeremy Smith passed away in 1992, mentioned in this interview with Peter Irvin in Retro Gamer: http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/eug/71/a-exil.html

I've never seen Peter frequent these forums, but then I've not been lurking here as long as many... the internet must make it reasonably easy to contact him if you have any questions. I found this during a brief search: http://inventivity.co.uk/exileami/about.htm
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

petercumberland

Post by petercumberland » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:17 pm

kieranhj wrote:
petercumberland wrote:I don't know if Peter Irvin and Jeremy Smith frequent these forums but might be worth a search...
Sadly Jeremy Smith passed away in 1992, mentioned in this interview with Peter Irvin in Retro Gamer: http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/eug/71/a-exil.html

I've never seen Peter frequent these forums, but then I've not been lurking here as long as many... the internet must make it reasonably easy to contact him if you have any questions. I found this during a brief search: http://inventivity.co.uk/exileami/about.htm
Oh that is sad to hear but thank you for letting me know.

Pete

8bitkick

Post by 8bitkick » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:23 pm

scarybeasts wrote: - Anyone else here living in the Bay Area, CA? Already found a few of us and made new friends thanks to the Exile connection. Would love to make more.

Cheers
Chris
Hey Chris, welcome!

There are a couple of us... and a plan brewing to exhibit some Acorn hardware at VCF at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View this year -

http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... CF#p181536

myelin

Post by myelin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:05 pm

Welcome! I’m the SF-dwelling Electron hacker Thomas Harte mentioned a few posts back. (Thomas, I got your email, unfortunately right after I’d landed back in SF after a week in NYC!)
SW/EE from New Zealand, now in Mountain View, CA, making BBC/Electron hardware projects for fun.
Most popular: fast serial port, FX2+PiTubeDirect Tube/Cartridge adapter, USB cart interface.

ThomasHarte

Post by ThomasHarte » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:25 pm

myelin wrote:Welcome! I’m the SF-dwelling Electron hacker Thomas Harte mentioned a few posts back. (Thomas, I got your email, unfortunately right after I’d landed back in SF after a week in NYC!)
That's funny because I stumbled upon your Github about a week after I'd come back from unofficially hotdesking in the SF office! That is, in the sense of mostly working out of the cafeteria, where the beef goulash is excellent — the team had been flown in for meetings in Mountain View, but I stayed a little longer and there was no longer any real justification for spending a couple of hours each day on the bus. It was finally an opportunity to use the wifi legitimately, after all those times that I used the guest network from Rincon Park back when I actually lived there.

Oh well; I left with a spotless record and am still on good terms with my former manager so maybe one day I'll come back.

Lion

Post by Lion » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:49 am

Welcome! I live in Woodside, having moved from Oxford a few years ago.