From 64 bit back to 8 [where it all began & where I belong]

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
petercumberland

From 64 bit back to 8 [where it all began & where I belong]

Post by petercumberland » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:45 pm

My name is Pete and I am the author of the Basic ROM Image Creator as featured in Vol.8.No.6 November 1989 of BEEBUG magazine. I was paid £200.00 pounds for my creation (which at 16 years of age was a quite a bit) and my program allowed you convert BBC BASIC progams to be executed as "*" commands (Watford DFS springs to mind) and also made them suitable to be "blown" into an EEPROM.

I went on to have my improved bubble sort routine published in the library section of The Micro User magazine (which today still stands the test of time) along with other routines that were published including an article called "The Acorn Archimedes - Shadows of the Model B?"

Its wonderful to see such a vibrant community here and I look forward to sharing my passion for everything Acorn with like minded folk!

Cheers for now

Pete

Multiwizard

Re: From 64 bit back to 8 [where it all began & where I belong]

Post by Multiwizard » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:58 pm

Hi Pete,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Acorn Attic, Wim... :-)

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:16 pm

petercumberland wrote:My name is Pete and I am the author of the Basic ROM Image Creator as featured in Vol.8.No.6 November 1989 of BEEBUG magazine. I was paid £200.00 pounds for my creation (which at 16 years of age was a quite a bit) and my program allowed you convert BBC BASIC progams to be executed as "*" commands (Watford DFS springs to mind) and also made them suitable to be "blown" into an EEPROM.
Ooo, I should've been writing for BeeBug, I was getting about £120 from Micro User.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Found your code on the 8BS Beebug archive. I thought it sounded familiar, I tweeked it to load the program to wherever PAGE happened to be on the destination machine, instead of having it hardwired to whereever the builder forced it to be.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

petercumberland

Post by petercumberland » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:32 pm

Ah nice touch! Yes unfortunately it was dictated to me by Beebug editorial staff to insist on PAGE being set to &1900 - my original version never had such a restriction, however, it did provide more compatibility across the range of Acorn micros - well that and I don't think my editor had ever seen 6502 intermingled with BBC BASIC source code!

tricky

Post by tricky » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:59 pm

Welcome, glad you found us.
I wrote a sort BITD, which I used to sort sprites so that I could "race the beam", it is here on RetroSoftware, a sister site and programming repository. You might also like http://bbcmicro.co.uk another one of "our" sites.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:19 pm

welcome Peter :)
ImageImageImage

vanekp

Post by vanekp » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:30 pm

Welcome Peter good to have you here, I am sure you will find lots of interest here :D
Peter.

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:12 pm

Hello there :)

d.

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:16 am

Wellcome to the Forum, Pete . . . Enjoy . . .

Interesting background . . . Looking forward to lots of projects from you 8)

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:46 am

Welcome, Pete. :D
- John

Why do I keep collecting Acorn gear? I'm going to need a considerably bigger man-cave. :?

petercumberland

Post by petercumberland » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:16 am

tricky wrote:Welcome, glad you found us.
I wrote a sort BITD, which I used to sort sprites so that I could "race the beam", it is here on RetroSoftware, a sister site and programming repository. You might also like http://bbcmicro.co.uk another one of "our" sites.
Very interesting indeed. I like your bucket sort routine a lot. My improved bubble routine BITD was an improvement over existing routines by delivering a 50% improvement in speed simply by not checking each element after the last swap was sorted. I now read the advice of some is "Avoid implementations, which don't check if the array is already sorted on every step (any swaps made). This check is necessary, in order to preserve adaptive property." Just as well I wasn't trying to make it adaptive in that case.

petercumberland

Post by petercumberland » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:47 am

daveejhitchins wrote:Wellcome to the Forum, Pete . . . Enjoy . . .

BITD (circa 1989) I began but never completed a project called "IBM PC emulator" for the model B in response to other projects that touted as "emulators" but merely allowed the beeb to read IBM formatted floppy discs. For me this was far from what could be done but I wasn't bitten by the emerging C++ language (and specifically pointers) and so I left the project only half completed. Perhaps a task for a long winters evening. I did produce 8086 emulator in pure Pascal (I make no apology for this) but sold the rights to this long ago...

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:14 pm

petercumberland wrote:Perhaps a task for a long winters evening.
Why would you limit your time for this project :? You do know Spring is just around the corner :roll: :lol:

Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

ThomasHarte

Post by ThomasHarte » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:56 pm

petercumberland wrote:

BITD (circa 1989) I began but never completed a project called "IBM PC emulator" for the model B in response to other projects that touted as "emulators" but merely allowed the beeb to read IBM formatted floppy discs. For me this was far from what could be done but I wasn't bitten by the emerging C++ language (and specifically pointers) and so I left the project only half completed. Perhaps a task for a long winters evening. I did produce 8086 emulator in pure Pascal (I make no apology for this) but sold the rights to this long ago...
Oh, then definitely come back in. Including a deprecated one, C++ now has at least five kinds of pointer just off the top of my head*, plus references which are intended for some of the same use cases but are semantically different**. C++ isn't so much a language as it is all the languages. Plus, in template metaprogramming, a bonus one!

* plain, auto (deprecated), shared, unique, weak. Boost adds at least one further, the intrusive one, now I think about it.
** they don't necessarily have storage and can't be nullptr. But can be dangling.

Re: sorts, my only similar attempt (i.e. for sprites, for various benefits) was an insertion sort, which is obviously a lot like a bubble sort but skipping-to-the-end on where to move things that offend the ordering requirement. It's advantageous over a bucket sort when the list is already in the correct order because then both are O(n) but it's single pass: spot that everything is still in order, shuffle nothing, get on with your life. And sprites tend to stay in a similar order from one frame to the next, so that's far and away the most common case. But moving a sprite up the list when it's in the wrong spot is a hassle just in terms of real memory manipulation so it's definitely slower if a lot of your sprites have moved around quite a lot.

tricky

Post by tricky » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:29 am

I only used it a bit, then switched to a bidirectional bubble sort (although I didn't know that was what it was at the time). Now I just bucket them when added to either two (centipede) or four ( if there are lots of sprites) rows and then just don't start the next chunk until the beam has excited it.

petercumberland

Post by petercumberland » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:35 pm

ThomasHarte wrote:
petercumberland wrote:

--> Oh, then definitely come back in. Including a deprecated one, C++ now has at least five kinds of pointer just off the top of my head*, plus references which are intended for some of the same use cases but are semantically different**. C++ isn't so much a language as it is all the languages. Plus, in template metaprogramming, a bonus one!

Whoops...when I said "...I wasn't bitten by the emerging C++ language (and specifically pointers)" I actually meant:

"...I was bitten by the emerging C++ language (and specifically pointers)"

Sorry for the typo