Hello from Brisbane Australia

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
ontheslab

Hello from Brisbane Australia

Post by ontheslab » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:43 am

Hello to all,

A quick background and then a question! :wink:

I spent many years in the trade, used, serviced, programmed and repaired many different systems, went on to teach and then dropped out!

During that time a fondness for some machines over others always grows! In my case it was the Amiga, Apple II and the beloved BBC Micro!
Also during this time the collection grew as it does, pride of place being a BBC Micro Model B and an Atom!

The sad part of the story! Due to a terrible "miscalculation of scale - as quoted by the HHGTTG" the collection of many years was lost in a skip!

So far I have successfully recovered my Amiga 2000 and replaced (swapped) some parts and machines to replace the Apple IIe.

Still no luck in my search for a BBC Micro - Model B (Ideal item, but willing to look at just about anything Acorn!) - for trade.

So with the advise a fellow facebook group member I am testing out the water in the Acorn forums! I am without the capacity to purchase at present but would dearly love to trade what I have for what I would like! Locally - Brisbane or Melbourne.

I currently have one of 2 x Apple IIe systems (I will keep one) and / or a C64 system to offer in trade - happy to list more details of the systems if requested but either or both will have at least 1 drive and also for local in Victoria there are Monitors to go with them.

Thanking everyone in advance. Mark.

FourthStone

Re: Hello from Brisbane Australia

Post by FourthStone » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:19 am

Hello and welcome to this great forum.

I am based in Brisbane and have a small collection of various beebs, apple IIs and other 8 bit treasures. It is all currently boxed away due to my transient movements of late but hopefully I should be settled in the next year or so and I will be going through the boxes to rediscover what mysteries lie within... probably a few PSU updates required at a minimum.

If you're still looking I might be interested in trading for the c64, I might be tempted to go through the boxes sooner if the monitor was available also :-k

Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:12 am

Hi Mark,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Atomic Attic, Wim... :-)

tricky

Post by tricky » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:07 am

Hi, glad you found us, I think I was the fb user, although as I only pop over there one or twice a month, I don't really think of my self as one ;)

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:13 am

Welcome, Mark. :D

Wow, that was quick! A fellow stardotter in Australia and local too.
- John

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:35 am

Welcome to the Forum, Mark . . . Enjoy . . .
ontheslab wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:43 am
The sad part of the story! Due to a terrible "miscalculation of scale - as quoted by the HHGTTG" the collection of many years was lost in a skip!
:shock: This, of course, is a common situation :cry:

You could start small with an Electron :roll: :wink: :lol:

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

davidb

Post by davidb » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:19 am

Welcome! :D

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:28 pm

welcome Mark :)
ImageImageImage

mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:46 pm

Can I ask both Australian stardot members to keep eyes peeled and give me a shout if you see any electron plus 1's for sale.

I am trying to track down a Barson electronics electron econet interface. It was made by barson themselves and fitted Internally in plus1 using 1 cartridge slot and had econet port out back beside analog/printer ports. They were made by Barson computers (Australian and NZ acorn importer) so they could sell elk into education. They were also first to sell bbc with disk interface and adapted DFS to bbc from atom iirc. Acorn actually incorporated some of barsons fixes later in day (think acorn bought barson).

There is an Australian vintage computer group on Facebook which may be another good place to keep an eye open for kit.

ontheslab

Post by ontheslab » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:59 am

tricky wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:07 am
Hi, glad you found us, I think I was the fb user, although as I only pop over there one or twice a month, I don't really think of my self as one ;)
You are indeed! thank you so much for the heads up!

ontheslab

Post by ontheslab » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:19 am

FourthStone wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:19 am

I am based in Brisbane and have a small collection of various beebs, apple IIs and other 8 bit treasures. It is all currently boxed away due to my transient movements of late but hopefully I should be settled in the next year or so and I will be going through the boxes to rediscover what mysteries lie within... probably a few PSU updates required at a minimum.

If you're still looking I might be interested in trading for the c64, I might be tempted to go through the boxes sooner if the monitor was available also :-k
Hi, thanks for the message! Happy to do anything I can to encourage opening those boxes! :wink: I'm after - in an ideal world - a replacement for the system I had and loved - BBC Micro "B" with a disk drive - I have very limited space so I will be using a scan-doubler of sorts in order to share the one LCD with the 3 systems (Amiga, Apple & BBC) so I have no intention of keeping either of the Monitors I have (One Apple Colour and one COMX mono) the only issue is both monitors and the c64 system (with 2 drives) is located with a mate in Melbourne. Transportation from Victoria is the rub! When I work out how I can attach some pictures.

ontheslab

Post by ontheslab » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:20 am

mr-macrisc wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:46 pm
Can I ask both Australian stardot members to keep eyes peeled and give me a shout if you see any electron plus 1's for sale.

I am trying to track down a Barson electronics electron econet interface. It was made by barson themselves and fitted Internally in plus1 using 1 cartridge slot and had econet port out back beside analog/printer ports. They were made by Barson computers (Australian and NZ acorn importer) so they could sell elk into education. They were also first to sell bbc with disk interface and adapted DFS to bbc from atom iirc. Acorn actually incorporated some of barsons fixes later in day (think acorn bought barson).

There is an Australian vintage computer group on Facebook which may be another good place to keep an eye open for kit.
Will do!

ontheslab

Post by ontheslab » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:22 am

Thank you all for the very warm welcome!

tricky

Post by tricky » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:48 am

For pictures, PNG or jpeg not to big, Dean and drop or use the attachments tab below.

ontheslab

Post by ontheslab » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:13 am

FourthStone wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:19 am

COMX Monitor:
cbm-mon2 small.JPG
C64:
IMG_2474small.jpg

oss003

Post by oss003 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:01 am

Hello Mrk,

welcome and enjoy the forum ....

Greetings
Kees