Greetings from me

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
shawty

Greetings from me

Post by shawty » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:02 pm

It's always polite to introduce yourself, and to be honest, I really don't know why I've not joined Stardot before now (Especially the amount of times it's popped up in searches for stuff) :)

Anyway

Where to begin.... I'm no starnger to the BBC Micro or the Electron, and I'll never forget that day as a 13yr old teenager back in the 1980's as I waitied for my shiny new BBC Micro to arrive.

I'd messed around with a few different things before that, Namely a ZX80/81 and a spectrum, I even had an Atari 800XE and and a TRS-80 at one point in time, but nothing was as great as the day that BBC MOdel B micro arrived (Somewhere round about mid 1983/84) that big square beige box set me on the path to wreck and ruin with an unhealthy obsession in I.T. that I'm on today.

If you want a bit of an insight into my mindset, there's a post on my blog your welcome to read : https://shawtyds.wordpress.com/2015/02/ ... sroads-pr/

For the longest time, life, work, education, family etc got in my way, but I always continued to do things for the BBC Micro, even if it wasn't out and out obvious, I did join the Raspberry PI forums when that appeared, and I did make the odd appearence on the RiscOS open forums too, but I largley stayed hidden for what ever reason.

A couple of years ago, a good friend of mine Andy Taylor (Who I believe lurks around here somewhere too) prodded me on Twitter, asking me if this:
http://8bs.com/submit/speechsynth.htm

was mine.

It had apparently laid forgoten in the bottom of a box of papers that chris had from me many years ago, well I'm pleased to say, yes it was mine, and that prodded me to start playing about with BBC Stuff once again.

On the back of that, I ended up getting back in touch with Chris, and even got to say hi in person again after not seeing him for about 15 years when he passed by my town on a motorbike tour.

I unfortunately don't own an actual physical BBC Micro anymore (I will remedy that at some point in the future) as I had to downscale a lot when I got married and moved house quite sometime ago now :-)

I do however have just about every emulator going, every disk image going (Including images of all my own stuff I wrote over the years) and PDF's of just about every manual, book and user guide for the BBC.

On my bookshelf, I still have:
An original Master 512 User guide
An original AMX Super ART user guide
Advanced Machine Code Techniques for the BBC MIcro (Stephenson & Stephenson)
Making Music for the BBC Micro (Ian Waugh)
and the obligatory User and Advanced User guides as well as quite a few others (Which I may list or photo in another post)

The thing I'm probably most known for was the "BBC Dreamscape Demo" (Which would never have happened if not for help from Henley of The Yorkshire Boys), if you've not seen it there's a video of it on my youtube page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mrOAB4UBcM

or if anyone remembers the trick of turning down the colour and ordering the palette so it looked like grey scale...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH9A4fsf7-0

There's quite a few disc images of mine floating around in far flung corners too, most of my stuff was sent to Chris Richardson for inclusion in the 8BS catalog and if memory serves me correctly where all available under the TBI-55 section.

There's also a few PHP scripts I've done recently available on 8BS for managing BBC Disk images and graphics mode screen dumps in a web page, which I am going to put on my Github account to at https://github.com/shawty/

The thing I am doing at the moment however, is to redraw the BBC Model B circuit diagram fully, in Autocad based on the original gif images floating around on the internet, it is as you can imagine a long process, and time is frequently not my friend when it comes to indulging in things like that, so I will probably release that on Github too, I've even got some of the circitry modled using "Digital", so that you can see it operating in a virtual environment, but I'll post the details of that in the hardware section of the forum.

I'm going to leave it there for now, but suffice to say, I'm going to pop my head up a little more often now, and hopefully maybe even start to contribute to the BBC Scene again.

Shawty

PS: In case anyone does sort of remember me from back in the 80's, I used to run "The Electric Shed" bulletin board, which ran on the same software as "Procrastinet (Alistair???)" and "Rudolphs Stable (James Coates)", i usually used "shawty" but I did go through a phase trying out a few other nicks too....
Last edited by shawty on Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Been around I.T. since the Beeb was born, maybe you've seen me around :D

gidandridge

Re: Greetings from me

Post by gidandridge » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:22 pm

Welcome Shawty!

I've only been a member myself a short while. Everyone here has been incredibly friendly and welcoming and what's more seem they are a highly knowledgeable bunch too!
shawty wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:02 pm
The thing I'm probably most known for was the "BBC Dreamscape Demo" (Which would never have happened if not for help from Henley of The Yorkshire Boys), if you've not seen it there's a video of it on my youtube page.

Very nice! If you happen to have a .SSD file I'd loe to see that running natively on my own Beeb?

Hope your enjoy it here and we'll see you around no doubt!

Gavin.

shawty

Post by shawty » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:56 pm

Hi Gavin,

There's various copies of it floating around on the emulator sites, some original, some I updated in I think about 2000 to remove old address info etc.

However, if you want it easier :-)

I've just made this post: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16451 for my HTML script to list DFS images I wrote last year.

In the github repository is a "disks" folder set up to demo how to use it, and in said folder is an SSD Image of the demo. :-)

Enjoy.

PS: I MIGHT (Although I have no idea where) still actually have the source code somewhere. I do have a few boxes of 5.25in disks kicking around, but no way to read them anymore :-(

Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:26 pm

Hi Shawty,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Atomic Attic, Wim... :-)

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:33 pm

A blast from the past, welcome!

I've got a chunk of your music demos at http://mdfs.net/Software/Music/collect.htm
and I'm sure I've got and use other stuff you wrote.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:36 pm

shawty wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:56 pm
(Dreamscape)
There's various copies of it floating around on the emulator sites, some original, some I updated in I think about 2000 to remove old address info etc.
Is it the one in 'JGHMusic2'?

$ bbcbasic
>_

shawty

Post by shawty » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:08 pm

jgharston wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:36 pm
shawty wrote:
(Dreamscape)
It certainly is Johnathan :-) You still got the Attic cave, with the steep set of ladders in the cupboard?? ;-)

It's been a long time since we've spoken my friend.

Oh and I still never got round to making one of your Midi Interfaces....

shawty

Post by shawty » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:10 pm

Multiwizard wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:26 pm
Hi Shawty,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Atomic Attic, Wim... :-)
Pleased to meet you Multi... I'm long overdue landing myself here. :-)

shawty

Post by shawty » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:12 pm

jgharston wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:33 pm
A blast from the past, welcome!

I've got a chunk of your music demos at http://mdfs.net/Software/Music/collect.htm
and I'm sure I've got and use other stuff you wrote.
Just been having a poke through it all, I actually forgot I'd remixed so many of those basic programs. :-) Loads of Laughs, they where some good times.

gidandridge

Post by gidandridge » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:17 pm

shawty wrote:
I've just made this post: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16451 for my HTML script to list DFS images I wrote last year.

In the github repository is a "disks" folder set up to demo how to use it, and in said folder is an SSD Image of the demo. :-)
Super thanks - I'll give it a whirl tonight. :)

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:21 pm

Welcome, Shawty. :D

You really do need to get a real BBC.
- John

shawty

Post by shawty » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:41 pm

Your right, I do need to get another one, I just don't have the space at the moment.

I'm intending to make some space up in my loft to build another desk up there, so once that's done I probably will end up getting another one.

I also need to repair my Archie too, which I do still have.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:56 pm

shawty wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:08 pm
jgharston wrote:
shawty wrote:
(Dreamscape)
It certainly is Jonathan :-) You still got the Attic cave, with the steep set of ladders in the cupboard?? ;-)
Down here?

$ bbcbasic
>_

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:08 pm

welcome Shawty :)
ImageImageImage

shawty

Post by shawty » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:28 pm

CMcDougall wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:08 pm
welcome Shawty :)
Greetings, oh more northern fellow than me :-)

shawty

Post by shawty » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:33 pm

jgharston wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:56 pm
shawty wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:08 pm
jgharston wrote:

It certainly is Jonathan :-) You still got the Attic cave, with the steep set of ladders in the cupboard?? ;-)
Down here?
Ha ha ha, no not quite. Last time we spoke in person, you where way up in a very small loft space in your house in sheffield, and you had what could only be described as resembling the entrance to a submarine as one of the entrances... if memory serves me right, you had 2 wardrobes, and a ladder each side to get to each of the two desks you had.

If you had a basement then, I don't remember it.

PS: Your picture doesn't actually show up in the post on my browser for some reason, I had to grok the URL from the quote while composing.

tricky

Post by tricky » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:09 am

Welcome,
I couldn't get your github to load on my phone, so will take a look later. Do you have the disc images set to launch in jsbeeb?
As you have been here a while, I'm sure you are familiar with the bitshifters, but if not, take a look at their github.
I always used to complain about demo coders not making games, but I do understand the lure of the technical challenge. Why do you think most demo coders don't make games?

shawty

Post by shawty » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:06 am

Hi Tricky,

You know that's actually a very, very interesting question, and one that I can only really answer from my own point of view (Bearing in mind that this is at least 25 years after the fact too).

For me at least, I was a typical teenager, I never really had the tenacity to finish anything, one minute I wanted to push the video chip, then I'd read something that made me want to try an experiment with the sound chip.

Then I'd get onto a BBS, and someone would send me something, and that would spark off another journey in an entirely different direction.

I was just way too busy exploring and experimenting to actually commit to producing anything longterm, and so demos where more my game.

In my mind, just as a great artist doodles things, a good programmer "makes demos", they are in essence a programmers doodles.

when you do get to my github, you might also want to take a look at my SN sound generator project too :-)

davidb

Post by davidb » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:10 am

Welcome! :D

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:22 am

shawty wrote:

I'm going to leave it there for now, but suffice to say, I'm going to pop my head up a little more often now, and hopefully maybe even start to contribute to the BBC Scene again.

Shawty

PS: In case anyone does sort of remember me from back in the 80's, I used to run "The Electric Shed" bulletin board, which ran on the same software as "Procrastinet (Alistair???)" and "Rudolphs Stable (James Coates)", i usually used "shawty" but I did go through a phase trying out a few other nicks too....
Welcome to the forum Shawty! I can’t believe I’ve never seen that Beeb demo before?! We’ll have to get it added to our Beeb demo archive: https://bitshifters.github.io/archive.html

I do hope you get chance to start coding some more demos again - we’re certainly trying to bring about a bit of a renaissance and perhaps a reappraisal of what the humble Beeb is capable of compared with our 8-bit peers. Spare time and RL notwithstanding of course!

As for BBS’s I don’t recall the Electric Shed but spent an inordinate amount of time on CCl4 and other Viewdata boards in the North of England back in the 80’s. :)
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

shawty

Post by shawty » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:10 am

Awesome, I'll have to take a look.

Are you North East located?

I have some discs but I have no idea what's on them, I keep meaning to send them down to Chris @ 8BS to image them, but keep forgetting :-)

If your not far away, and have a disk drive, we MIGHT find some long forgot code on there :-)

Every now and then I keep, thinking about actually doing a PC version of dreamscape but keeping the Beeb look and feel, however my retro software project at the moment (among everything else I do) is actually porting "Spots" from the Archimedies to the PC and keeping it as faithful a replica as possible, like most things though, I take on too much and never have enough time :-)

Who knows, maybe I will write some new demos for the Beeb, It's been a long time since I did any serious 6502 code, in terms of "Nice Architectures" I spend more time with Arm these days than 6502.

If you have an apps section, you might want to add my music/tracker suite in there too. I actually have a program/tool in the collection that will convert an Amiga 4 channel 31 inst protracker song into BBC Music :-)

shawty

Post by shawty » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:14 am

shawty wrote:
As for BBS’s I don’t recall the Electric Shed but spent an inordinate amount of time on CCl4 and other Viewdata boards in the North of England back in the 80’s. :)
I didn't have it up 24 hours a day, it was mostly just online on a weekend when my parents allowed it (That was sharp stopped when I ran up a £500 phone bill!!)

Still when I was online, I had quite a few folks on it, I would say there was about 20 regulars, and maybe another 30 or so on top of that, who would come and go.

I'm surprised you didn't run into me on CCL4 however, I too probably spent more time than was healthy on there.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:58 pm

shawty wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:33 pm
Ha ha ha, no not quite. Last time we spoke in person, you where way up in a very small loft space in your house in sheffield, and you had what could only be described as resembling the entrance to a submarine as one of the entrances... if memory serves me right, you had 2 wardrobes, and a ladder each side to get to each of the two desks you had.
Ah! Maybe:

$ bbcbasic
>_

shawty

Post by shawty » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:21 pm

jgharston wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:58 pm
shawty wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:33 pm
Ah! Maybe:
YESSSSS... that's the one.

Made you feel like a Tank Commander being in there.

It was the house where this photo was taken:
http://8bs.com/iknow.htm (Fourth image down...)

I'll have to find you some updated photos of me... ha ha.

Actually, I don't have many photos up, but, you can see me doing my teaching at a usergroup thing here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnfZGJjApq8

and on stage at (Developer Developer Developer Scotland 2018) here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n2oHzlTWfQ

Que the embarasment face!!!!

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:16 pm

Welcome!

shawty

Post by shawty » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:10 pm

Greetings.

Question (I may have this wrong) but would you be "Chris Morley" (Former - Morley Electornics) :-)