Transfer BASIC programs to BEEB via Turbo MMC

discuss pc<>acorn file transfer issues and the use of other utils
jonb

Transfer BASIC programs to BEEB via Turbo MMC

Post by jonb » Sat May 21, 2011 4:21 pm

Hi

I have Steve Picton's Turbo MMC system, which came with some PC utilities to read/write MMB files and SSD files. So far so good.

However, I can't seem to copy files from the PC onto a SSD image. I'm trying to get some example BASIC progs onto the Beeb, but they cannot be drag / dropped onto an opened SSD file (this opened with DFSImager).

I am assuming here that I would load files onto the SSD image (with DFSImager), then copy the SSD onto the MMB file (with MMBImager). However, like I said, the files won't drop into DFSImager.

These files have an extension of .bbc and they apear to be tokenised BBC BASIC.

Can anyone explain how to get them onto the SSD image?

Oh by the way, I have tried DFS Explorer too, but it does not appear to have an Import function. Drag & Drop doen't work with it, either.

Cheers

jonb

Advance

Re: Transfer BASIC programs to BEEB via Turbo MMC

Post by Advance » Sat May 21, 2011 6:55 pm

You have to donate and register for full functionality of the important elements of DFS Explorer.
The utilities supplied by Steve all work straight out of the box. I don't have my Turbo MMC Master fully set up at the minute but it would help if you gave a step by step account of what you are doing.
You do have to unlock the images on the card to work with them and iirc (unlikely) at least one of the other utilities.

Hugh

jonb

Post by jonb » Sat May 21, 2011 7:28 pm

Interesting. There seemed to be no option to do this, I'll have to look into it. Usually shareware makes the upgrade procedure painfully obvious. You'd expect some sort of nag screen or reminder. What's it going to cost to unlock the programs? :shock:

Anyway here's what I did.

- open an MMB file with MMBImager. I can see all the disks in there, and there are options to lock, unlock, name, etc etc. I have assumed that adding a disk means dragging a SSD image to the window, there are no menu options for this.

- open an SSD with DFSImager. Again, I see the contents but cannot add to it.

Steve's kit is pretty good, but the documentation with these particular programs is lame... Of course this isn't Steve's fault - he does include an awful lot of useful docs with the kit (including comprehensive instructions for the Turbo MMC).

So what I need here are a few pointers...

Cheers

JonB

paulv

Post by paulv » Sat May 21, 2011 7:50 pm

An alternative solution to what you're doing is to use an emulator, create a blank floppy disk, import the file into the Beeb Em and then save it to the SSD via the emulator. Then the SSD should be able to be transferred to he Beeb as normal.

Paul

Slo

Post by Slo » Sat May 21, 2011 8:31 pm

Well I would never of thought of doing that and ive had similar problems myself, nice tip paul =D> just goes to show how useful these emulators are as tools. Yes it is usually because the ssd images are locked. Just click unlock to edit them in dfs/mmb imager.

Advance

Post by Advance » Sat May 21, 2011 11:10 pm

I'm sorry I don't have time to re-set up this weekend and check this through. I'm working from memory but have you tried creating the image using FSManager which is part of the supplied utility pack?

BTW it's £5 to register DFS Explorer but it's a small price to pay for a really good piece of software.

jonb

Post by jonb » Sun May 22, 2011 11:03 am

That's OK, Advance, I appreciate your and everyone else's advice.

FSManager did it but on loading I got the dreaded Bad Program error. The files i am trying to load came from an archive and on examination in Notepad they look like BASIC programs. Sort of. The tokenisation hides the keywords, so perhaps I am mistaken.

It turned out the FSManager won't add a file if its name is incompatible with the BBC DFS. Would have been nice to have had a meaningful error message to that effect (it's what I would have done).

So now I need to investigate what these files really are. They came from ftp.nvg.org I think, and have a .bbc extension.

retroclinic

Post by retroclinic » Sun May 22, 2011 11:29 am

Hi. If you want to zip them up and post them I'll have a look see if they're working okay.

Mark.

Advance

Post by Advance » Sun May 22, 2011 11:54 am

Quite often you will have to rename files to seven letters or less.

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”