BBC tape & disk copy protection - newbie questions

discuss PC<>Acorn file transfer issues & the use of FDC, XFER, Omniflop/disk etc.
ZudoBug

BBC tape & disk copy protection - newbie questions

Post by ZudoBug » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:56 am

Hi,
I've been using MakeUEF "Amateur" with default settings to transfer BBC tapes (mostly educational programs) which don't yet seem to be archived online.
Most work fine, but the tapes from Ebury and Griffin Software fail to transfer - when transcoding the recorded WAVs to UEF only some of the files contained within (eg. the Griffin loader) are picked up.
From listening to the raw audio off the tape it appears that much of the missing data uses some form of non-standard modulation, but how does one configure MakeUEF to read this (if it's possible at all)?

I also have a few 4Mation educational progs on floppy (eg. Dragon World) which are protected - on a real Beeb "*CAT" shows no files and "*COPY 0 1" (with dual 5.25 - 3.5 drives) fails.
The 5.25" drive works on an old Celeron PC and on my A5000 if I change jumpers on the motherboard, but which software should I use to successfully "rip" an image of a protected DFS disk?

Ollie

Fraser

Re: BBC tape & disk copy protection - newbie questions

Post by Fraser » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:48 pm

I haven't tried anything by those publishers but I would guess they have not done a lot to make the files hard to read. Probably they've used 8O1 or 8E1 data blocks somewhere.

You would be best to make CSW files from WAV files by following my guide "How to record WAV files for conversion to CSW.pdf" which comes with CSW Viewer.

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:06 am

Dragon World is ringing a vague bell here... if i find it on my "to do" stack, i'll have a look around the disk :)

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:56 pm

This is the cassette player and amplifier I use. I used to use a different amplifier but I'm fixing it. This amplifier used to have digital components that shifted waves 90 degrees which is something to avoid. It went faulty and I had it repaired at a Sony Centre and it now has analogue components.
Amp and cass.jpg
Amp and cass.jpg (74.28 KiB) Viewed 1058 times