DFSBuster

discuss pc<>acorn file transfer issues and the use of other utils
julie_m

DFSBuster

Post by julie_m » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:41 pm

This is my own humble contribution to the cause of creating DFS disk images and extracting files from them:

https://github.com/JulieMontoya/DFSBuster

It's fully usable; in a "roughly-soldered Veroboard, re-used plastic box with extraneous holes, mismatched knobs, Dymo tape labels" kind of way. It'll get polished when I have a spare moment with my main project BCP, or if I get writer's block and need something else to take my mind off it!

davidb

Re: DFSBuster

Post by davidb » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:36 am

Excellent! It's good to see more tools for processing disk images. :)

There are other DFS image tools written in Perl that you might find useful: Maybe there are things in those that will help if you ever need to figure out some corner case or other.

sweh

Post by sweh » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:20 am

davidb wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:36 am
Excellent! It's good to see more tools for processing disk images. :)

There are other DFS image tools written in Perl that you might find useful:
As the author of MMB_Utils I'm always happy to see someone else write code to do similar stuff, because I might learn some tricks from it. In this case Julie used arrays rather than a binary string, which simplifies some parts (but complicates others).

It's a fun space to write code in, and there's a number of alternate solutions. I'll be interested to see what Julie comes up with when she next gets "writers block" :-)
Rgds
Stephen

geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:18 am

sweh wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:20 am
It's a fun space to write code in, and there's a number of alternate solutions. I'll be interested to see what Julie comes up with when she next gets "writers block" :-)
I'm always interested to see how others have managed (or rather, 'if') how to detect DFS disc images without using the file extension or file size.

I must get back to mine - I think I left it at writing files back to a DFS image, but never tested it. I then need to write the same code to write back to ADFS images :shock:
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”