BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 v0.23a released

discuss PC<>Acorn file transfer issues & the use of FDC, XFER, Omniflop/disk etc.
Richard Russell

BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 v0.23a released

Post by Richard Russell » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:20 pm

I've released version 0.23a of 'BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0'. The main new feature is support for reading JPG, PNG and GIF images, the absence of which has been a limitation up to now. To demonstrate this feature I have written a fairly fully-featured Jigsaw Puzzle program, it runs equally well on Windows, Linux, MacOS, Raspberry Pi, Android and iOS. You can add your own JPG pictures to the one supplied. Here it is running on a Raspberry Pi:

The new version of BBCSDL can, as ever, be downloaded from https://www.bbcbasic.co.uk/bbcsdl/
Last edited by Richard Russell on Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Russell

Re: BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 v0.23a released

Post by Richard Russell » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:10 pm

Here's a challenge for BBC BASIC enthusiasts. The Jigsaw Puzzle program contains the following code:

Code: Select all

PLOT 143,px%+(x%+0.5)*sx,py%+(y%+0.5)*sy
      FILL px%+(x%+0.5)*sx,py%+(y%+0.5)*sy
which could equivalently have been written:

Code: Select all

PLOT 143,px%+(x%+0.5)*sx,py%+(y%+0.5)*sy
      PLOT 133,px%+(x%+0.5)*sx,py%+(y%+0.5)*sy
Why am I doing two flood-fills with the same starting point? No prizes, sorry.

Richard.

Richard Russell

Re: BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 v0.23a released

Post by Richard Russell » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:51 pm

I have updated BBCSDL to version 0.23b in response to user feedback. The following example programs have changed: 'fire.bbc' (restored quality to what it was previously), 'jigsaw.bbc' (should now work correctly on screens with a resolution greater than 2048 pixels) and 'telstar.bbc' (memory increased so that larger telesoftware files may be downloaded). All editions have been updated (Windows, Linux, MacOS, Raspberry Pi, Android and iOS).

I have also built an experimental native 64-bit Linux version as bbclinux64.zip, which may be downloaded from the usual place. Note that this version has no assembler, because I currently don't have one for the x86-64 CPU. :(

Richard.