Disc Image Reader for PC

discuss PC<>Acorn file transfer issues & the use of FDC, XFER, Omniflop/disk etc.
geraldholdsworth

Disc Image Reader for PC

Post by geraldholdsworth » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:48 pm

Hi all,

My project to document the various disc images (see thread viewtopic.php?t=14423) came from me writing a Delphi class to load these disc images. In order to demonstrate the usage of this class, I have written a demo application. As an off-shoot, this just happens to be a nice little application which can load in DFS, ADFS and Commodore 1541/1571/1581 disc images and display the catalogue as a tree. It then allows you to download (extract?) the files to your PC (unfortunately, not by dragging and dropping - this requires some extensive coding, which is beyond the scope of the demo).

You can find this if you download the zip file at http://www.geraldholdsworth.co.uk/DiscI ... cImage.zip (you'll need to navigate into the Win32/Debug directory to find the executable).

The whole idea of this Delphi class was for inclusion in my Repton Map Display application...it just happened to have branched out somewhat! I may develop the demo application further (like, for instance, including the ability to drag files out of the application and into Windows Explorer) - this does mean, of course, having two different applications (one demo, the other with more features).

Cheers,

Gerald.
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk

Prime

Re: Disc Image Reader for PC

Post by Prime » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:54 pm

Must be something dooing the rounds at the moment....

Unsatisfied with BeebASM's abilities to write multiple files to a DFS disk easily I ended up writing a command line DFS / Atom Dos / System Dos disk manipulation program in Lazarus / FreePascal which is similar to Delphi but cross platform.

Keep thinking about putting it and BeebDIS in the Acorn github repository.

My utility can extract, insert create and catalog disk images, but as I said is command line driven so that I could use it in a batch file / Makefile to make the disk images for my 1770 port of the System's DOS.

Cheers.

Phill.

yellowpig

Post by yellowpig » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:22 pm

Indeed.

I have a partially completed program that does something similar - does reading and writing of files to or from a DFS, ADFS or DOS image. It has been sitting around in an incomplete state for a few months. Perhaps I'll get it finished now (if any program is ever finished!)

David

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:58 pm

Ha ha! :lol:

I wrote a BBC BASIC program to extract files from .SSD images so that I could import them into RISCOS pico on my ElectronPi.

Convergent evolution??
- John

geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:10 pm

Prime wrote:Unsatisfied with BeebASM's abilities to write multiple files to a DFS disk easily I ended up writing a command line DFS / Atom Dos / System Dos disk manipulation program in Lazarus / FreePascal which is similar to Delphi but cross platform.
I'm actually wondering if the class will work in Lazarus - I've never really got on with Lazarus and have never got it working on my Mac. I can install it, but any project I create fails to compile...and I never really investigated why. Of course, if I pay out a couple of grand, I can get the full version of Delphi that can compile to a Mac (nah...I think I'll just stick with the free version of Delphi).
Prime wrote:Keep thinking about putting it and BeebDIS in the Acorn github repository.
Now there's an idea.
Prime wrote:My utility can extract, insert create and catalog disk images
Hopefully, I'll implement these functions into my class also. As always ADFS is the stumbling block.

Cheers,

Gerald.
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page

geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:13 pm

yellowpig wrote:
Indeed.
Yep - this class was written, primarily, for my Repton Map Display application. But, it was also spurred on by Jasper Renow-Clarke's floppy interface for the RPi - we have been working together to crack the ADFS enigma.

Cheers,

Gerald.
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page

geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:33 pm

Oooo, exciting times. Embarcadero has just released a Community Edition of Delphi and C++ Builder:
Delphi and C++ Builder
Basically, these are the Professional Editions (which sell for a grand each) with a few licence limitations (no problem if you don't sell your software). Best bit is that I should now, finally, be able to port my applications to MacOS. So looks like my Disc Image Reader will make it over to the Mac (as well as my Repton applications - Repton Map Display and Repton Map Decoder - and my other little applications). Watch this space, as they say!

Gerald.
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page