Disc Image Manager

discuss pc<>acorn file transfer issues and the use of other utils
geraldholdsworth

Re: Disc Image Manager

Post by geraldholdsworth »

BeebMaster wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:25 pm
I couldn't find a list of supported file extensions, so I had to make an ADFS hard drive image first to know that it needs to be ".hdf".
Disc Image Manager does not use file extensions to ID an image, except, when all else has failed, to distinguish between DFS single sided and DFS double sided. I'm guessing you are referring to the open file dialogue box...and I've forgotten to add 'All Files (*.*)'.

Funny you should mention supported file extensions, as I recently compiled a list with the intent on asking here about what they should be. So, the complete list is (at the time of writing):
  • ADFS S : ads,adf
  • ADFS M : adm,adf
  • ADFS L : adl,adf
  • ADFS D : adf
  • ADFS E : adf
  • ADFS E+ : adf
  • ADFS F : adf
  • ADFS F+ : adf
  • ADFS HDD : hdf
  • DFS SS : ssd,dsk
  • DFS DS : dsd,dsk
  • Acorn FS : afs
  • Acorn CFS : uef
  • DOS/DOS Plus : img
  • C64 1541 : d64
  • C64 1571 : d71
  • C64 1581 : d81
  • AmigaDOS : adf
  • AmigaDOS HDD : hdf
  • Sinclair +3 : dsk
  • Sinclair HDD : hdf
1. Acorn File Server (FS) and DOS Plus partitions can also appear in an ADFS image, so have an ADFS file extension (usually adl, adf or hdf).
2. Sinclair formats are not yet supported.

EDIT: Just noticed that I did have 'All files (*.*)' as an option, so I've moved it to the top of the list, which seems a more logical place to put it.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Oh yes - I hadn't scrolled down as far as "All files" - however this still doesn't list files with no extension at all, which is what my hard disc image files tend to be.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Thought a picture would illustrate:
Screenshot_2021-09-12_17-37-56.png
geraldholdsworth

BeebMaster wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:30 pm
however this still doesn't list files with no extension at all, which is what my hard disc image files tend to be.
They do on macOS :?:

I'll need to fire up my Linux VirtualBox for this bit (and probably the Windows VirtualBox too)... '*' will probably do the job.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Ah yes...
Screenshot_2021-09-12_19-55-53.png
geraldholdsworth

The single asterisk works on macOS too, and Windows.
geraldholdsworth

I've made available Disc Image Manager version 1.38. This addresses the above issue. I've also made writing to DOS Plus and DOS images possible. The only thing you can't do is create a blank one, add a partition or move files. This is to come.

I'm taking a wee break from development of this to concentrate on a webpage for our local camera club, which has been neglected for most of this year :oops:
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

The latest 64-bit version of DIM for MacOS (v1.38) fails to open the attached .SSD, complaining that it's not a valid disc-image. However, DFS Imager can successfully open the image.

:!:

JSW 007 owletExport.ssd
(200 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
sweh

Post by sweh »

Hmm, the "Size" field on that disk is wrong; it claims it's only 3 sectors long! But other than this the 4 files looks OK.
Rgds
Stephen
geraldholdsworth

sweh wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:40 pm
Hmm, the "Size" field on that disk is wrong; it claims it's only 3 sectors long! But other than this the 4 files looks OK.
Beat me to it...yep, byte 0x106 should be 0x33 and 0x107 should be 0x20.

I added some more checks to make sure that the files (sector and length) did not go over the end of the disc, unless 'accept zero sectors' is ticked...clearly this has fallen over here. Time for a rethink...

EDIT: Just realised that statement is ambiguous - should be if 'accept zero sectors' is ticked and the reported number of sectors is zero.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

lurkio wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:47 pm
The latest 64-bit version of DIM for MacOS (v1.38) fails to open the attached .SSD, complaining that it's not a valid disc-image ... JSW 007 owletExport.ssd
geraldholdsworth wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:08 pm
sweh wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:40 pm
Beat me to it...yep, byte 0x106 should be 0x33 and 0x107 should be 0x20.
Ah. Thanks for the explanation! The disc-image in question was exported by the Owlet BBC BASIC editor (bbcmic.ro), so there's probably a bug in Owlet somewhere.

Still, both DFS Imager and BeebEm can open the disc-image without complaint, so it would be nice if DIM could too.

:?:
geraldholdsworth

lurkio wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:51 pm
Still, both DFS Imager and BeebEm can open the disc-image without complaint, so it would be nice if DIM could too.
Yes, absolutely. I agree it should too.

I'll comment out those checks for now until I think of a better way, and upload a new version tonight (my current thinking is to just produce a warning if any files go over the reported size of the image).

Cheers,

Gerald.
geraldholdsworth

I've put 1.38.1 onto GitHub. This is a fudge to get around this issue. I'll deal with it properly for the next release.

What it did highlight was that, if those checks were not in place, this image would have crashed the application anyway, so thank you for pointing it out.

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”