Disc Image Manager

discuss pc<>acorn file transfer issues and the use of other utils
Kevin Edwards

Re: Disc Image Manager

Post by Kevin Edwards »

Thanks, Gerald.

I did notice that two of the images have 'control-code' characters in the disc title to colour them when doing *cat in MODE 7. Perhaps this is problematic - first byte of the disc too! One is 40T/SS 100K and the other 80T/DS 400K - both standard Acorn DFS format.
DiskImageManager_Error2.PNG
Kevin Edwards

Post by Kevin Edwards »

The 3rd image that fails doesn't appear to be odd - 80T/DS 400K Acorn DFS.
DiskImageManager_Error3.PNG
Kevin Edwards

Post by Kevin Edwards »

The control code disc title doesn't seem to be the issue. Delving a bit further to see if I can identify it manually. Having problems finding a safe image I can upload.

Had a crash or two whilst going through a few discs. Seemed to happen with some 100K SSD DFS images when I selected a file then went back to highlight the 'root' :0.$ folder.
DiskImageManager_Crash1.PNG
Sorry I can't be more specific with the repro steps. Doesn't happen with all discs.
geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth »

Kevin Edwards wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:10 pm
The control code disc title doesn't seem to be the issue.
Two of the checks are:

Code: Select all

//• Offset 0x0001 should have 9 bytes without top bit set and >31
   //• Offset 0x0100 should have 4 bytes without top bit set and >31 
So, yes, it should fail with top bit set control characters. I'll need to change that. If the very first byte of the image has top bit set, this has a meaning to another format not supported (HDFS)...mainly because I have no examples to try it out with.

I did find, last night, a bug with DFS images. It was a strange one and, for me at least, only seemed to happen when it was compiled in debug mode and not release. But, there is no reason why it shouldn't happen when compiled in release mode. But, now I believe I've fixed the bug, this must've been around for quite a few versions (since I introduced drag and drop copying). It's when you click on the directory listing without actually clicking on an entry - the function sent a nil node which produced a blank filename which was never checked for. I did actually find that also clicking on either root can cause this error.

I'll see what else might be failing it.
Kevin Edwards wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:10 pm
Having problems finding a safe image I can upload.
If you're happy sending direct to me (my email address is in the About Box, and in the instruction guide - different addresses, same destination) I'll make sure they go no further.
Last edited by geraldholdsworth on Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geraldholdsworth

Just spotted a couple of things:
EXILEDEC3.DSD has a zero length disc size (locations &106, bits 0 & 1, and &107)...that won't help.
Both hex dumps only show side 0, but the extensions suggest double sided. So I'll need to see sectors 10 and 11 (&A00 and &B00)...assuming it is interleaved.
geraldholdsworth

I've managed to produce an image with MODE 7 control characters in the title, and got Disc Image Manager to read that in successfully. :D

However, for 'zero length' images - yes, I could change it so it accepts an image which reports the total number of sectors as zero, but that would mean a completely blank (filled with zeros) file, 512 bytes long, would be accepted as a DFS image (just tried it with BeebEm, and it works OK there). But there may be some impact on IDing other formats (as I don't use the file extension to ID an image). So I'll need to think about this issue. :|

"Meditate on this, I will"
geraldholdsworth

Version 1.32 has now been uploaded. This fixes the bugs mentioned above, plus I found a way round the 'zero length' image problem - I just accept them, but have a preferences option to switch this on or off in case of any issues.

In addition:
  • DFS double sided images are now treated as two partitions and, along with ADFS/AFS hybrids, the disc size, free space and disc title on the status bar changes depending on which partition an object is selected.
  • I've increased the DFS checks when IDing an image. If there are files, it checks to make sure none of the files 'goes over the edge' of the disc.
  • When the tool to fix ADFS directories is run, it will now check to see if a directory is not broken just because of the wrong interleave on ADFS 'L' images.
  • Also with ADFS 'L', creating a new one takes account of the interleave option in the preferences.
  • And, I've begun to write the code to write back to AFS images, starting with creating blank Level 2 or Level 3 images. Unfortunately, I have no way of testing that the resultant image actually works.
geraldholdsworth

I've broken away from Disc Image Manager the tool to split or combine DFS images. This new application is called "DFS File Cleaver" and is available here.

This functionality will remain in Disc Image Manager but will be handled differently, with more integration with the rest of the application, hence why this has become a separate application.
Kevin Edwards

Post by Kevin Edwards »

Hi Gerald,

Thanks for the updated DIM 1.32.

Both of those problematic images are now loading now which is great!

However, I am seeing some issues with one of them when viewing files - it appears to be missing calculating the relative sector for the file.

The source image is 80T/DS 400K. Interleaved Sides.

ie data order is:-
T0 Side 0 Sectors 0-9
T0 Side 2 Sectors 0-9
T1 Side 0 Sectors 0-9
T1 Side 2 Sectors 0-9

Probably a side-effect of the interleaving issues is that the preview doesn't identify the file as BASIC - it just shows the Hex Dump instead of BASIC II.

I loaded the image into BeebEm and the files are loaded as expected.

I tried playing around with the Preferences to change the Track Order to see if that would help.

Here's a screencapture showing the problem. The HxD dump on the right shows the correct file / location - Byte offset &1D00 from the start.
DiscImageManager_Error1.JPG
The viewer is using sector 19, ie offset $1300 from the start.

If you do get chance to investigate that would be great! Thank you.

All the best,
Kevin.
geraldholdsworth

Kevin Edwards wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:13 pm
Both of those problematic images are now loading now which is great!
Excellent. I like it when a plan comes together. :D
Kevin Edwards wrote:
However, I am seeing some issues with one of them when viewing files - it appears to be missing calculating the relative sector for the file.
D'OH!
Kevin Edwards wrote:
The source image is 80T/DS 400K. Interleaved Sides.
Looking at the screen grab you've posted, there is only one side, so it is being read as a single sided image.
Kevin Edwards wrote:
Here's a screencapture showing the problem. The HxD dump on the right shows the correct file / location - Byte offset &1D00 from the start.

The viewer is using sector 19, ie offset $1300 from the start.
Odd...the hex dump you posted earlier up the thread of the start of the disc indicates that that file is located at sector $13 (19), so $1300 would be correct. As it is not seeing the image as double sided, and hence not interleaved, this may be causing an issue.

Can you post a screen shot of the hex dump, of this disc image, from offset $A00 (i.e. the second side of the disc, if it is double sided)? I fear there maybe something on the other side which is not being identified (in fact, following the calculation for interleaved images, $1300 does point towards $1D00).

EDIT: It looks like it's the same 'zero length image' problem - if zero sectors are reported on side 2, then it will mark up as a single sided disc. That hex dump from $A00 will prove this theory.
Kevin Edwards

Post by Kevin Edwards »

Hi Gerald,

Thanks for the fast response.

Yes, looking at the RAW image, the second side is totally blank and all bytes are set to &00 - certainly for the ten sectors at &a00 offset.

I can't remember how this was imaged - possibly Kryoflux. I'm guessing it padded the 2nd side as blank!?

Thanks,
Kevin.
geraldholdsworth

Great...thank you. I've got a fix already done. While I was playing I found that a couple of images which previously did work (noted further up this thread) but now no longer do. This is because of the extra checks I put in. So I've fixed that too.

One thing I have noticed, which I suspected might happen, is that by allowing zero length image lengths, mainly for the second side, means that some images get wrongly IDed as double sided when they are only single sided. A quick visit to the preferences dialogue to turn that off sorts it...but I'm trying to think of a way of getting around this.

Anyway, I'll compile an interim version and put it up either tonight or tomorrow morning (this also completes the AFS Level 2 facility to create blank images...but untested).
geraldholdsworth

I've uploaded the interim update, version 1.32.1. If you'd like to give that a spin Kevin and let me know how it performs.

I got around the mistaking an SS for a DS, with 'zero sectors' turned on by falling back on the supplied file extension. I don't like doing that, but it was a solution.

For those that are interested in the Acorn FS Level 2 stuff, the creation of blank images should now create a working image. However, I can't test them out. You'll also find an extra option on the New Image dialogue box to create a password file - this doesn't work at the moment and you'll get an error message.
Kevin Edwards

Post by Kevin Edwards »

Hi Gerald,

Unfortunately, I seem to be getting the same issue with the latest version - 1.32.1

Thanks,
Kevin.
geraldholdsworth

Kevin Edwards wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:41 pm
Unfortunately, I seem to be getting the same issue with the latest version - 1.32.1
Aargh!

Let me ponder this.

I'll need to try and replicate a disc like yours.
geraldholdsworth

Hi Kevin - do you want to try 1.32.2?

I missed a bit...there was a small bit of code which checked sectors 10 and 11 to see if they were full of zeros and then rejected it as a double sided image if they were. This is still there, but will only run if the option is ticked in the preferences. I fudged an example image to replicate your issues by blanking off those two sectors on an existing double sided image.

In other news...the 'Create Password File' for Acorn FS new images now works. And, off the back of this, so does adding a file. I'll upgrade this to a full version once I've got directory creation done, and probably renames. Need to do a bit of tidying up too.
Kevin Edwards

Post by Kevin Edwards »

Hi Gerald,

That's great! Thanks for the update. I'll check it out as soon as I get chance.

BTW. I spotted that you also support Commodore discs which is cool. What is the state of the 1571 / DS Commodore disc reading? It wasn't letting me View individual files when I quickly tried it the other night...I wasn't sure where this implementation was up to.

Thanks,
Kevin.
geraldholdsworth

Kevin Edwards wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:46 pm
BTW. I spotted that you also support Commodore discs which is cool. What is the state of the 1571 / DS Commodore disc reading? It wasn't letting me View individual files when I quickly tried it the other night...I wasn't sure where this implementation was up to.
It should be fully working...but I admit I haven't concentrated on that side of things as much as the Acorn side. You can also write files to Commodore discs too - I've just never tested them out in VICE :D !
geraldholdsworth

I've now uploaded version 1.33. This includes the above fixes.

I also found a couple of bugs which I reckon have been there for a while:
  • I broke the 'FileExists' function so that it would fail when looking inside subdirectories.
  • The create directory method did not update all the required fields, in the GUI, so it would not display properly. It did, however, create the directory OK.
Other changes:
  • I finished off the creation of AFS Level 2 blank images.
  • A password file can now be created for new AFS images (not ADFS/AFS Hybrid).
  • Directories can be created for AFS images (not ADFS/AFS Hybrid).
  • Files and directories can be renamed in AFS images (not ADFS/AFS Hybrid).
  • Files can be imported into AFS images (not ADFS/AFS Hybrid).
I have also identified a potential serious bug - when you rename a directory that contains objects, the parent directory of these objects does not get updated. This includes objects within sub-directories, and so on. This would affect creating directories, renaming files/directories, and deleting files/directories within this structure. I haven't tried it out yet, but I have plans to change the operational behaviour to remove this bug.
Kevin Edwards

Post by Kevin Edwards »

Hi Gerald,

Sorry for the slow response, I've been really busy the last few days.

Good news, the changes in 1.33 are identifying the disc formats nicely ( for the 2 previously problematic images ) and I can view/extract the files as expected! Great work.

I tried loading a Commodore 1571 DS image and it was recognised correctly. Yes, sorry everyone, it's not an Acorn image, but it has some of my old code on it that I wanted to examine.

Unfortunately, it does not allow me to extract the files or view them. Not sure what could be going wrong.

Here's a capture for the disc image when i try to extract one of the files.
DiskImageManager_1571_2.JPG
All the best,
Kevin.
geraldholdsworth

Hi Kevin,

It'll be the dot in the filename that is confusing it.

I've managed to replicate it and eliminate the problem. I'm hoping to get an update out this weekend before I go away for a week.

Cheers,

Gerald.
Kevin Edwards

Post by Kevin Edwards »

Awesome. No rush for this.
Thanks for you excellent work and support.
geraldholdsworth

And thank you, and everyone on Stardot that uses this, for shaping Disc Image Manager into what it is, and what it is becoming.
geraldholdsworth

Last update for a while, as I'm off on my holibags - well, off down to Kent to see my parents for a week.

So, version 1.34 is now available. A lot of bug fixes:
  • The biggie, which I identified in the previous version, was that if you renamed a directory which had entries, and sub directories, the parent string of these would not get updated. Only a minor issue? Nope - the code uses this string when doing many operations on the file, so the resultant is that the file would then not be found and the operation requested not done.
  • I'd also introduced, in an earlier version, a bug where some old map ADFS images (that's S, M, L and D) would crash the application. It was a silly error and I should've spotted it sooner.
  • Another bug I'd never spotted, and this may just apply to macOS - filenames with top bit set characters crash the application. Most of this I had circumnavigated, but I missed the bug when opening such a file in the File Viewer (btw, filenames with spaces in, under ADFS - the spaces are stored with the top bit set).
  • Another bug I'd introduced - when saving files, particularly a bunch of them, to the host filing system, the complete path would be given to each file.
  • Downloading files from Commodore images with a dot in them - see Kevin's post above.
  • Acorn File Server Level 2 images, where the headers do not match, got opened as a DFS image - probably quite rightly so, as that is what they are.
OK, new and improved features:
  • Acorn File Server images are now fully writable. That is, except for the ADFS Hybrid ones - some features may work, some may not - I'll investigate this next.
  • There are four new buttons, and four new menu items. These do nothing, currently, and are greyed out. But two of them will be replacing the Split/Combine DFS tool.
  • More checks when IDing a DFS image - now rejects images which have blank filenames.
  • And, prompted by a post in another board here, the Free Space Map display (or Image Details window, whatever you prefer) shows the interleave method used, if applicable. This will be the one selected in the preferences, if not Automatic.

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”