Disc Image Manager

discuss pc<>acorn file transfer issues and the use of other utils
lurkio

Re: Disc Image Manager

Post by lurkio »

The two XOR For Schools .SSDs in the zipfile uploaded by BillCarr both fail to open in DIM.

:!:
geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth »

lurkio wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 12:38 pm
The two XOR For Schools .SSDs in the zipfile uploaded by BillCarr both fail to open in DIM.
As does Zirconium uploaded by Treborwall. I found another bug in the ID-ing process. I'll check the XOR SSDs to see if they open in the fixed version.

EDIT: They do open...although one takes a while to open, which is worrying.

EDIT 2:Ahh...couldn't handle zero length files. Can now. :D
geraldholdsworth

Version 1.27 is now available. Not much changed:
  • Fixed a bug where some DFS images would not be read.
  • Zero length files in DFS images were causing the application to take a long time reading in the image.
  • Circumnavigated a compiler bug (see earlier posts from lurkio) where multi-blocked GZip files where not getting inflated (this affected compressed UEF files). I have since found out that this bug within the Lazarus library was reported last year, after I posted my 'fix' for it on the Lazarus forum.
markusher

Post by markusher »

Hi Gerald

I finally had some time to have a look at DIM, great work! I've been getting more and more frustrated with the bugs and limitations in ADFS explorer and this is a very useful tool. The addition of files direct from a !SparkFS archive is especially useful and I tried this out first in order to restore an old backup. I created an ADFS hard drive, worked out first I have to click on the root directory to add files (would be nice if it was selected already by default on creation of a new image) and set it to work with the .zip file.

After several files and directories had been added it aborted. Looking at the archive file, it seems there is a file with 0kb and this is the one that caused the hiccup. I can send you the archive file if you like, although it is a little large (for a BBC) at just under 8MB.
-Mark
4 x BBC, 1 Viglen BBC, 3 Masters, BBC AIV Domesday System, EO1S & E20 Filestore, A4000, RISC PC 600,700, StrongArm. Probably more I've missed...
geraldholdsworth

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your kind words.

I have had some issues with zero length files across the various supported formats. I think, at the start, I assumed that there wouldn't be any such files...and now recently I've been coming across them, causing issues in various parts of the code. I think I can see where the issue is, but I'll take your archive file to test it out anyway (I'll PM you my email address).
geraldholdsworth

Thank you to Mark for his various Spark and disc image samples, and some very good suggestions - I have made a load of improvements for version 1.28. Thank you also to David Pilling for his assistance in properly decoding the Spark format.

In this issue:
  • With the Spark archive sample that Mark sent, having over 2000 files in it, showed up the speed (or, rather, lack of) that files are de-archived. I've attempted to speed this along by bypassing the GUI during decompression (for over a certain number of files), but the time is mostly taken up by the decompression code (which I didn't write, as it is part of a library).
  • During an import, and de-archive, of a Spark archive, any errors are skipped over, but logged with the error log being displayed at the end.
  • A warning is shown prior to a de-archive if the current open image is not suitable for the number of files (i.e. if some directories have more than 47 or 77 files).
  • The root node is automatically selected when an image is opened (or created).
  • And a bug fix: ADFS Big Directory Hard Drive images where not being recognised by RISC OS.
Coming up...
  • The ability to pick and choose which files you want to import from a Spark archive or another disc image.
  • Dealing with Acorn File Server (AFS) format.
geraldholdsworth

Just knocked up, and published, a user guide for Disc Image Manager. This is based on the next version, 1.29.

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”