Another MMB file editor

discuss pc<>acorn file transfer issues and the use of other utils
MrReturn

Another MMB file editor

Post by MrReturn » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:42 am

Hi everyone,

I created a newer tool for editing MMB files, only to find out afterwards that such a tool already existed on this forum. I would however still like to share my work, and hope it might prove useful for someone. It is still an early version, although functionally working, and I am open for suggestions.

You should be able to get my version at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G-iNxG ... sp=sharing.

The tool was created using C# (Visual Studio) so it is Windows only I'm afraid (apologies for the Unix and Mac users).

With this tool you can to the following:

- Load and save disks into and from any disk slot in the MMB file from and to seperate SSD (ADF) disk files.
- Managing properties about the disk slots (lock / unlock disk, mark as formatted / unformatted)
- Show contents (directory) of a disk by double clicking on an entry in the grid.
- Show contents of a file by double clicking on a file (in hex or tokenized BASIC)
- Save File from SSD disk to local (Windows) file system by right clicking on a file and selecting "Save"
- * Saving a file from the local file system back to an SSD disk is NOT (yet) supported as this requires updating
the file table on the disk and is more complex than "just" reading.
- Create or modify an existing MMB menu database on any disk slot (usually the first disk slot).

Please enjoy!

robcfg

Re: Another MMB file editor

Post by robcfg » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:29 pm

Hi,

It's never a waste to try and do such tools on your own, because it's a great learning opportunity!

At first glance, your tool seems to perform all the intended functionality, which is pretty good.

Also, the ability to preview the files is nice. I'm not sure if I'd like to complicate my code to add them, but might do it if people are interested.

On the not-so-good side of things, being a Windows-only tool is a bummer for me, as I'm mostly a Mac and Linux guy. I also think that making the source code available is a good thing.

Cheers,
Rob

Bobbi

Post by Bobbi » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:34 pm

C# so may be able to run under Mono on Linux ... maybe.

robcfg

Post by robcfg » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:42 pm

C# as a language, yes, but not with the graphic interface as far as I know.

MrReturn

Post by MrReturn » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:06 am

Thank you for your feedback.

Those are valid points. I can appreciate that Windows is not the first choice for everyone. I have used Linux myself in the past and can definitely see the appeal, but Windows with Visual Studio was just the easiest for me to get started with, I will look into possibilities of porting it, if only for a personal learning exercise. I'm also not fixed on C# as some of the MMB menu encoding is based on older Visual Basic 6 code that I found.

I will make the source code available and have already planned to create a separate document describing the MMB menu file format based on my notes as it was a little more complex then I initially expected and I could not find any existing documentation about it.

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”